Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

On the whole NKM front I see he’s very busy with his other clients. I was sent an Instagram post of Baz Asshat in Brown Thomas advertising suits. Now I have a few issues with this:

1. Baz is not appealing to me as a man and him endorsing anything will make me look elsewhere.
    2. He’s not exactly a master of sartorial elegance. When I think of Baz I think of a middle aged man dressing like a teenager. Or a vagrant.
    3. I know the Brown Thomas Marketing Dept. are all female and this pretty much explains the selection. You have females deciding what kind of man they think other men look up to, rather than asking men of course.
    4. Point 3 is proven by the comments. When I looked last night there were 18 comments and they were all from females and they were of the “can’t see what colour suit you get xoxo” and “looking good Baz hun” variety. None of these people are the target market FFS!!!!! Not a single comment from a male.

So Baz will get a fee and a few suits out of it, but i’m not sure what Brown Thomas will get, I’m not sure how old Baz is but I’m the same age as Tubs (50) so not ancient. I wear suits a lot (occupational hazard). I just don’t get why Brown Thomas would think Baz would inspire me or other men to buy suits. It’s a frighteningly poor choice of brand ambassador.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"Mr Bakhurst told the committee that Mr Tubridy had a "moral case” to pay back the funds to RTÉ, but he acknowledged the former Late Late Show host was currently without "a source of income” following a breakdown in negotiations for his return to radio.

"We have no legal tools to pursue him,” Mr Bakhurst said. "I've said what I have to say about it, which is I think it's a moral case to pay it back, but I also understand that as a result of where negotiations went Ryan doesn't have a source of income at the moment.”

Ryan doesn't have a source of income!!! Surely after coining it for all these years he can afford to pay back money that is not his. Bizarre stuff from Bakhurst, and not the first time he's talked like this - previously he mentioned that Tubs had "a mortgage to pay". FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Sheehan's about face is very curious. Some months ago he visibly relished taking Tubs down now he's his No. 1 defender. You'd wonder if somebody "got to him".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You will also find that many of those comments come from media people, with one or two not working in the industry, or related to the brand in someway.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I think Beaker has always struck me as a very odd little fella. Unpredictable, inconsistent and fight with his nails.

• Advertisement

They just don't know when to stop.

Excuse after excuse. Why not employ a full time Photographer or two for the RTÉ Guide.

The player give Fair City about 30,000 addition viewer from tradition TV.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I wonder do they need a tea maker?” For 20 hours a week we’ll pay you 60k a year to produce 16 perfectly made cups of tea.”

A lot more effort to make the perfect cup of tea than to produce 16 lousy feicing photos

RTE thinks that by producing still photos of an actors reaction that I’m going to watch Fairly ****???

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha 🤪🤪🤪

There is also a case of not wanting to role back. I assume that Kevin Bakhurst signed of on that statement.

Basically, Fair City has always had a photographer so Fair City will continue to get a photographer. Rather than anyone at anytime saying maybe there are better ways of providing this service.

1. A photography department that would cover all programmes for publicity proposes, after all the business case is "imagery is then used across a variety of media outlets to help drive audiences to" RTÉ, and a further requirement of still photography for the news site. OR
    2. Do away with this an use stills from the program to promo the programme.

But you would have to think about this.

RTÉ did at one time have a stills department. So the next question is, did they actual save any money moving to this system?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Photography is a hobby of mine so I appreciate that a professional photographer will get better results but given the usage is likely for thumbnails, banners and posts on social media or ad breaks on RTE the quality doesn't really need to be that great, these aren't for fine art prints or high art. Surely they could extract some stills from the video for much of this and supplement with some pro shots taken much more infrequently such as when they have an "exciting" storyline to promote or a new character joins\long time one leaves. Even paying ad hoc rates I would think that would be much cheaper.

"Tánaiste Micheál Martin has expressed discomfort at the suggestion former RTÉ broadcaster Ryan Tubridy has a “moral case” to repay €150,000 he received as part of a controversial payments deal involving the Renault motor company.

The director general of RTÉ Kevin Bakhurst told an Oireachtas media committee on Wednesday that there was a “moral case” for Mr Tubridy to do so, but there was no legal mechanism for RTÉ to recoup the money.

Asked if he agreed with Mr Bakhurst’s comments, Mr Martin said he did not want to get into personality issues but added: “I’m not entirely comfortable with how all of that has been dealt with by RTÉ.

Why would Martin be uncomfortable with rich Tubs giving back money that originated from our licence fees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So tubridy has no income other than the money from the Renault deal! What a load of manure

We'll have to do a whip round, 😁

And the photographer for fair city. The whole thing is a massive joke.

God let them take pics with a phone. This is just getting worse and worse andbtbh Bakhurst is beginning to lose credibility imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Tubsidy is from the ff gene pool,Martin puttin a word in for him, anyway if it was Joe or Mary soap who trousered the money, the powers that be would find some "legal mechanism" to recoup the money mark my words

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Maybe we should set up a “Gofundme” fund to help out the Dainty one😉

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The whole marketing, branding and advertising industry is dark arts to most of us. Companies have budgets for promotion, they employ people who make up stuff like this, maybe they analyse them for effect. But maybe it's often just a pile of s** and the lads involved snigger behind their hands as they submit the invoices.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

i still think this is still a good idea...and with what little i heard about the big meeting the other day its the only idea that makes sense.

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

This. Bizarre stuff. I think women have taken over marketing, and it's no longer about selling product, just virtue signalling and what ButtersSuki refers to above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’m totally with you on that - RTÉ are obviously not willing to commit to a “make do and improvise” approach- I’d say jobs in RTÉ are highly segmented and vigoursly guarded - “a non photographer shalt never darken the door of the responsibilities associated with photography or there will be an all out general strike” sort of thing

If these guys were a new TV company they’d be on a shoestring budget, multiple roles and responsibilities allocated to each staff member and an innovation mindset - there’s a HELL of a long way to go before RTÉ is sorted out- in fact I’ll say it will never be sorted out without completely breaking it up and starting afresh

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I think most of them come from NKM Towers or associated affiliates tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

He was FF until he became unelected then crossed the river to SF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

It’s actually hilarious RTE have come out today defending the Fair City photographer and saying they’ll be paid €60k per year instead of €80k (maybe the €20k diff is a non-salary car allowance??).

Oh right, it’s only €60k. In that case carry on.. they are absolutely delusional 😂

Right and his father and cousin were FF TDs, but the only TD in the Andrews family currently is a SF TD.

It is a contract role, basically they are looking for the best rate and the top rate that they can go to for 20hrs work per week is just 80k!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

As we all see it. But they won't do that, KB won't be clearing things or changing things. To big a push back.

______

Yesterday

MEP and former Minister Barry Andrews from FF.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I think Sheehan is softening the ground for Tubs to join the Indo and do a podcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

That would be a hoot and would also show Tubs how much he is loved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement