Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

The anger and resentment is from people who didnt want him in the first place. He clearly hasnt lost the squad yet, maybe that will change in the next few games who knows. They were still playing for him and didnt divert from his tactics.

The FAI havent a pot to piss in and yet many want to waste money when hes out of contract in 2 months. It makes no difference

New manager should get a 4 year contract.

I personally dont think we will ever qualify for a WC again unless we unearth 3 or 4 world class players and especially a midfielder so the world cup campaign should be used for the new manager to get the team in shape for the Euros. Try be competitive but its harder and harder to qualify for a WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Nope. Most people wished him well and wanted him to succeed and there was an understanding from the general public that the crop of players was a poor one. However it’s likely to go very sour now if the results continue as they have been.

Also it does make a difference. The professional competent thing to do was to let him go today. Instead they’re just dragging the arse out of it and making it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think because of the nations league route(which is our best chance at a WC playoff), a 2 year contract including the nations league is fair, with an option to extend into the Euro campaign if that goes well.

I think you could do a 4 year contract but with a break/review in the middle after what you suggested. But if we go back to the 2 year contracts i think it brings the senior team back towards results only and some/certain managers may not look after the future and we end up back in a cycle where we are now. 4 years i think theres less of a risk of that happening.

Yes I think any manager would deserve at least two campaigns to see if he can get results. 4 years seems fair. I don’t think Kerr got the full two campaigns which I think was a bit unfair?

Kenny has been treated very fairly. Overly so. He could have no complaints if he was sacked today. It’s amazing he hasn’t been when you consider the results and the way managers of the past were dealt with.

Can’t see it.

1 more home qualifier which is the next game, followed by the final two away, and the friendly will essentially be his send off.

So there’s not much time for anything to turn really sour. I think anyway most know we’ll get someone else after a few games anyway so what’s the point in being angry about it?

Yeah you could do it that way - I wouldn’t be thinking that we should judge the manager on WC qualification, moreso if it looks like the team could be setup well for a run at the Euros.

But there definitely needs to be some mechanism between the 2 campaigns that allow for the FAI to move on.

At best it’ll be apathetic, at worst it’ll be messy and vitriolic. Poor decision to drag it out.

Has anyone had a gander at the After Hours Kenny Thread? The Vitriol and generally hatred for him is mental. Many hear dont like him and want him out but at least most you guys talk sense and can reason why you want him out. Posters over there making up nonsense because they hate him that much. Dont understand it. Now much of it is coming from posters who got banned from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe keeping Kenny on is to bide time for the FAI too look for a replacement ie they have done **** all in that regard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I’d have said the same for Stephen Kenny and Senior International management, but here we are… :)

I have no issue with Kenny personally, and I certainly have no issue that his path was via the LOI / youth system. He had done some really impressive things in those contexts and deserved a shot.

It may surprise you, but I did really want this thing to work out. It appeared to me very early on that it wasn’t going to work out, however. I would be of the view that the bar for Kenny to continue should have been higher rather than lower, given his relatively lessor credentials compared to most of our previous incumbents. But I still hoped he would scale that bar and that we’d be having a very different conversation now. I’m also hugely against the running down of the game here or the destruction of the association.

We will always have people giving out and people who look down on the LOI. The flip side of this was on display between 2008 - 2018 where every successful day under Trapp or MON would be greeted with grumbles on here about Neanderthal football or “magic airplanes”. It all grows tiresome in the end.

Nobody has a monopoly on the national team and I don’t believe there is any “right” way to play, or acquire players to the national pool or handle the media, etc. There was a time before most of us can remember where Irish sides went out and played great football but lost, largely because of the obstacles placed on them by the FAI. Then we had times where we played extremely utilitarian football but got amazing results we could only dream of today.

I just want to be proud of the team we put out there, to be be proud of their effort and their competitiveness. If they play nice football that would be a lovely bonus. More broadly, I want the association to be independent, ethical and well managed. And ideally the association would facilitate and support the growth of the local game.

The more you think about all of this, the more you realise that it’s much bigger than any one coach, or set of players or section of the fanbase. The LOI season ticket holder has no more claim to the National Team and who should manage it than the bandwagon bar stool fan. What matters is that the fans in Landsdowne and the fans who travel and the players who put their bodies on the line are all put in the best position to be part of something successful. It’s not an idealogical exercise or a revenge mission or a constructed penance. And it’s not a platform for one man and his vision for how we should play.

On Second Captains on Monday there was a discussion of what is ‘decent’ with regards to the endgame. Is it ‘decent’ or ‘fair’ to let him finish out his contract. I would be of the genuine view that it could get ugly for Kenny over the remaining two months (if it does indeed get that far). The nonsense on the After Hours thread will become louder, more and more media members will finally cross over into outright criticism and - eventually - the boos will come from the stands (they are already there from a minority).

Because I’ll be dead honest with ya, what would be **** brilliant is if we could get someone in (like Carsley) that would satisfy as many of the sections of interest as possible so that we’re all mostly behind the team and the setup again. But remember, even if that does happen, the man concerned will need to win to keep that unity of support. You simply cannot lose matches regularly and expect that everyone will remain logical and civil about it. It is football, after all.

I think 2 year contracts (that cover a tournament qualification and Nations League) that extend to 4 years if certain KPIs are met. A 4 year contract just takes away flexibility and leaves a cash strapped association with no outs when things go wrong. It is about results, it has to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

FAI won't be in a good position to negotiate a contract that will suit their needs. Any new manager coming in should have the upper hand unless it's another manager at the level Kenny was or League One level.

Like I couldn't see a Carsley, Wilder, or Hughton agreeing to a four year deal but the FAI have a break/review after two years.

Most will want a two year contract and then negotiate a new contract after two years. Gives them the option of asking for more money if they've done a good job or move on if a better offer comes about.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Steve Bruce gone 2/1 fav with the bookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

No one here is asking for Stephen Kenny to get another 4 years at managing Ireland, but you are with Keane. 😉 Both have has their chance with the Irish team and both failed. It's time to move on and look to the further.

You could do a 2 year with option of 2 year extenstion with certain criteria met and if it was met certain pay increases/bonuses could be agreed ahead of time. As you so they its likely any manager may not want to tie them to us for that long. I personally just dont want a cycle of boom and bust where the balance of blooding new players and trying to win/qualify isnt met and we end up in 10 years going, shite we have to write off a few years because we brought no one through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Well I doubt if any of them would be stuck on 3 points.

And is that Dutch team actually any good ?

Plus we lost to Lux and Armenia.

Its a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Throw enough money on John Delaney and you'd get good odds on him being the next manager with the bookies.

Just listening to The Second Captains there. Damien Delaney's tactical analysis was damning. Stephen isn't up for it at all, he didn't know what was happening in-game. The job is too big for him.

Why didn't they cut ties with him today? I don't think they did him any favours at all by not wrapping it up with him today. An horrendous decision that will either peter out into apathy or will backfire horribly.

Eoin McDevitt was talking about ending it with Stephen with dignity. The dignified thing to do was end it today. Weak and poor call from the FAI.

Yes it was but also said everyone was delighted with Greece in the group and that it was gonna be a handy 6 points. Kinda devalues his opinion when hes paid to cover the nations league and Euro qualifiers and failed to mention they were the top ranked 4th seeds and basically much of a muchness to us.

Every journo who covers the Irish beat said they were the nightmare pot 4 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Most of them have one thing in common

Most have national academy's now producing players and proper footballers.

He also said the credit in the bank was already low after defeats over the years v the likes of Armenia and Luxembourg and the coefficient has been hammered due to an accumulation of poor results since Kenny took over. You cherry picking what he said to suit your narrative devalues your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Who on earth thought Greece would be a handy 6 points. They'd been on an incredible run of results relative to their ranking and had some poxy groups too. Don't think anyone here was claiming it would be handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Between here and Twitter, there was a large cohort of people ahead of the Greece game saying we should be going there and winning. In fact there was a lot of "look at how much Kenny has lowered expectations being doled out".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Decision today looks like the FAI have accepted that we are not making the play offs and letting the qualification run out without having to make a hard decision and also giving Kenny the friendly against NZ believing that he might actually get a win in that game and go out with a bit of dignity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

We almost certainly aren’t making the playoffs so they’ve made a good analysis

After three years, three competitive campaigns, a good performance against France and an extended prep it was absolutely reasonable to expect a result in Greece.

Judging by your posts, you seem to have zero expectations of Ireland ever getting a result against anyone ranked within 50 spots of us. Come on now.

"it was absolutely reasonable to expect a result in Greece."

Anyone thinking we should've been going to Greece expecting a win had not done any prior research of what Greece were like as a team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Bookies tactics, get people talking and throwing their money on dumb shots they have heard from a friend who has a friend who’s brother works in the FAI.

carsley is the favourite in reality.

Our course it was but my point was that Delaney also cherry picked points to suit his narrative. Truth is a draw would have been a great result out there.

Kenny has mainly fallen down on small margins im terms of results, never been hammered apart from the England friendly and with the bad luck over Covid and that it just never seemed to turn for him. That can happen from time to time and he wont have his contract renewed for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭crushproof

Why do people think Carsley would go for the job? He's doing a great job for the FA and if Southgate messes up he'd definitely be in contention for the England job.

Not a hope he'd jeopardise that and go for the Ireland job. We are not going attract any forward thinking managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Steve Bruce won't be next ireland manager. Calm down haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You've tired very hard there but that's not what was said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

Not sure why people so critical of Steve Bruce. Would he be good? No. Is he much worse than the alternatives being suggested? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

In my opinion its more the oh heres an old manager who managed in England and is past his best... It would inspire much in my opinion. Hes probably a better option than Carsley as he has managed senior players but I nearly feel like i would rather someone i'm not aware of for the FAI to show they actually really went looking and not just oh what ex English PL/Champ manager is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Isn't there a strong argument that the Senior manager's job should be a results based role? I admire what Kenny has tried but attempting to implement a passing/possession culture starting with the Senior team is closing the stable door long after the horse has bolted.

That sort of thing needs to be encouraged from grassroots. And, in underage football, while there has been progress, there is still a very high premium put on size and strength and on getting the ball forward quickly and playing percentage passes. A senior manager cannot change that. Like Martin O'Neill said in the week, you have 2-3 days every few months with these players - that's very limited time.

Actually, Noodles... If you read back you'll see if we the poster I was replying to who had moved the goalposts after I responded to the original post which claimed nobody was saying Greece would be a handy 6 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Anyone ask at yesterday's press conference when Jonathan Hill is ~finally moving over to Dublin to attend his workplace? Has the other buck previously of the Premier League got a virtual background of the Dublin mountains on the FAI zoom calls as well?

Did you think the result and performance in Greece was acceptable? Do you think the performance in the second half against the Dutch (which lost a platform to get a result created in the first half) was acceptable? To what extent do you believe the manager is responsible for both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The likes of Bruce, Allardyce, Pulis and Hughes have had their day in the sun but the night is closing in.

Only Hughes is currently employed and that's in League Two. The others have all struggled to make an impact in their most recent jobs, a sure sign that the game has passed them by. Even Trap was still winning titles when he took over.

Appointments of any of these is a backwards step and it isn't going to help the team develop. There might be 'passion' and organisation but it will fizzle out and they won't be able to adapt to the game as it is now.

The performance was the worst thing about the Greece game.

Theres no shame in not going there and not getting the desired result(regardless of what Damien Delaney says), but we were set up dreadfully and it could have been a proper battering.

Didn’t change it up really either.

I've already commented on all of those previously...and I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at tbh.

Performance against Greece was terrible. Not good enough at all. Before the game I was of the view that a draw would've been a very good result. Losing to Greece was not a surprise to me, however the level of performance was a complete shock and not acceptable.

Already commented on the Dutch second half. Complete dropping of the ball by management to not react to the Dutch change of shape at HT. I was in the stadium and could see within a couple of minutes that they had changed the shape and taken control of the game. That the mgmt team stood and watch without reacting was not good enough. As I said previously, in-game reactions not good enough. For this game and the Greece game.

okay cool

Like I think this is where the focus needs to be, not on whether Delaney misspoke around expectations prior to the Greece game.

In the same way that how Kenny handles the media and his ability to articulate his points clearly in that setting aren’t worth focusing on.

We’ve had two key examples (three years in) where he’s been found wanting on basic managerial elements that directly contribute to the team’s ability to get results.

In my view they amount to a direct rationale for relieving him of his duties. But ultimately if we’re being fair to Stephen Kenny, these are the core aspects of his role that should be debated and criticised. We can definitely find a manager that does better in those scenarios, and those scenarios matter when it comes to getting the most out of our playing pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't think Bruce and Hughes are in the same group as Pulis and Big Sam.

Bruce has shown that he can successfully manage championship and lower PL level players time and again and that's where we are now. He has played good football and gotten results and pragmatic football and gotten results depending on the players. That's what's needed.

• Advertisement

The thing is the playing style Kenny tied to implement has been developed at grassroots since around 2013 so those player pathways are now starting to come through. So those who say we go back to our strengths of kick and rush and put em under pressure are/wont be there. Our new strengths will be trying to pass it around and play out from the back. We are probably 1 good CM away from that clicking.

We have been results based since Trap and apart from the odd success here and there, it hasnt led to any long term success. Kenny started the job of changing the style and mentality and hopefully the FAI will hire someone to build and improve upon what he has done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement