Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Just remember that while he was CEO of EA he p'd SUDA 51 off so much during the development of Shadows of the Damned that he made him a boss in No More Heroes 3.

Took longer than I expected for Hard Drive to dunk on the Unity debacle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd say at this stage there's a degree of irrevocable damage done. Even if it's rolled back, clearly Unity want to monetise their product to the nth degree - and small to medium developers will stay away. The margins are just to narrow, those studios too financially precarious to take a punt on a company now out for blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yip, if they tried it once and pulled back it's just to line up again for another go.

News now of board members selling millions of dollars worth of shares last week.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

There was some really irresponsible reporting about board members dumping shares. It's simply not true, the share sales reported on were tiny in proportion to the amount owned, and were simply part of a regularly scheduled share sale (something that is a common set up, selling small quantities of shares on a regular pre-set repeating schedule, precisely for the reason that it eliminates any possibility of insider trading) - and in any case the intent of this move was to increase share price, not lower it. So selling beforehand would make no sense.

The communication on this has been dreadful, and they've had to walk back repeatedly, but it must be seen in the context that Unity have been making a loss for years and they need to find a way to generate profit. Unreal takes 5% of revenues, while Unity has only ever taken a flat fee, which varies from free to a couple of thousand per developer for pro level support. There are games out there that have earned tens of millions where Unity only got a cut of ten thousand or less, while the same game running on Unreal might have earned a million or more for Epic.

Now even with these changes for the majority of large developers it would still work out cheaper than Unreal's revenue share, and for the majority of small indie developers it would effectively cost nothing - it's free if you're earning less than 200k per year, and if you're earning up to a million per year you just need to pay the flat licencing fee of 2k. Beyond a million they start taking a few cents per download, but it would still be much less than the 5% Unreal takes in most scenarios.

I have seen people talk about situations where it could cost devs big time, but these are usually contrived scenarios where a game earns more than 200k, the developers don't bother upgrading to the pro or corporate licensing, and then they decide to start giving away this highly profitable game for free through charities or subscription services. Unity are already walking back and finding ways to accommodate these situations because I don't think this was ever the intent.

This was a move targeted at mobile games where Unity is by far most prominent and where installs are a more measurable metric than revenue, which comes from microtransactions and ads rather than actual sales. It's some mobile developers that could be really hurt by this, the ones where they get 100 million+ downloads from their fake facebook ads and then leech what little money they can from that audience. But those devs arguably aren't good for the industry anyway.

Regardless of all that though, the harm this has done to Unity may be irreparable. There are two things that have come from this - one is the complete loss of trust due to effectively retroactively changing terms. If you start developing a game in unity now, you don't know what the pricing model will actually be when you release it in 2 or 3 years time, which is scary. And secondly is the impact this will have on the community, as one of the biggest strengths unity has is the community building assets and plugins and tutorials that all feed back into strengthening the engine. If this turns developers away from the engine that can quickly snowball. This is probably something that's going to hurt 3+ years from now more than the next year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Cyberpunks big 2.0 gameplay update due for release on 21st September. Can't wait to play it now after it's been sitting there since release in my drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Holy ****, Tomb Raider 1, 2 & 3 remaster coming to all platforms in February. Yeah, not the remake a lot of people want but goddamn my nostalgia is going into over drive at the thought of playing these again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I'm glad they've stuck with the game, it's still frustrating that it's taken them three years to release a big 2.0 update. It's a slightly different deal than an ongoing game, as - expansion excluded - it's a single-player game that many will have played through already. It shouldn't take three years to knock it into the shape it should have originally been released in.

But at least anyone playing now will have a seemingly superior experience, even if IMO the game's foundational problems ultimately run deep enough that even a patch and large expansion won't be able to solve them all. Thank god they've finally fixed the dire RPG and levelling systems, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just on this, one of the real problems here is that Unity has fallen victim to the inevitable hyper-capitalist problem - the thirst for endless ‘growth’. They’re public now, so they have to feed the insatiable appetites of shareholders. It’s hard to sympathise with their need to make money / profit when they’ve in fact blown money on eye-watering acquisitions of companies such as Weta Digital, rather than staying in their lane and making a damn good, accessible game engine. That sort of expansion will only **** over people down the line.

It’s above all a good case study in why developers can never perpetually rely on a third-party, profit-driven company for essential infrastructure such as engine tech. If there’s any positive to be gleaned from this, it shouldn’t be a mass migration to Unreal, although I reckon that’s inevitable. Instead, a much more ideal outcome would be a drift towards open source engines such as Godot. Unity was a liberating tool that led to a welcome democratisation in game development, but the next step should be to allow that type of democratisation to take place outside of corporate enterprises. As generous and developer-friendly as Epic are now, that could all easily change further down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

From what I'm reading, yes. They want to keep the feel of the originals, and you can switch between modern and polygon graphics on the fly, and judging by the sharp corners on the environments, it is literally just a graphics overlay on the original game. I'm sure we'll find out more before next Feb anyway. These ain't for me, but I would love a modern remake of them. Less murder, more exploring please!

In related news, I didn't realise Netflix were doing an animated series of Tomb Raider with Haylet Atwell voicing Lara. It's on hiatus since the strike though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Netflix are on a decent run of videogame adaptations; Castlevania, Cyberpunk, Arcane......We'll say nothing about Resident Evil)

Just looking at the Unity debacle now. So if your game is Web GL based you will be charged 20c by Unity every time someone refreshes the webpage. Wtf are they thinking? 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only one that is good is the first. I played through 1, 2 and a good chunk of 3 lately. 1 is great once you get over the clunkiness but 2 and 3 progressively dilute the formula.

1 was so atmospheric, the music, level design, exploration.... i have a vivid memory of playing it on my 14 inch tv :) TR 2 had some iconic levels. Will be interesting to see how well these remasters turn out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The second level of TR2, Venice. Has a special place in my heart as it was one of the first games I played on my own PS. Blew me away at the time. Felt so vast and full of hidden secrets, seamlessly going from on foot to in boat and back again. And all with the "most realistic graphics" at the time. Good memories. That and Destruction Derby 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So much good stuff getting announced due to TGS.

Theres a new vanillaware tactical rpg coming that predictably looks absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully it won't take as long as 13 sentinels took to come out. That almost felt like vapourware but when it came out it was one of my favourite games in the last decade and one of the few real and actually good exclusives on PS4, although I think it got a switch release eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As much nostalgia as I have for the games, I can't imagine playing them again. Plus the remaster looks very much like the GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition, where the T-Rex looks like it moisturises more than Lara with how smooth its skin is.

The first game honestly holds up great. I was surprised when I played it.

I'm not a fan of re-releases of old games tbh. Especially when they're packaged/marketed as something "new".

The Nintendo Switch is especially plagued by this. Porting 10+ year old games and charging full price.

• Advertisement

I will say this for the TR remaster, great price at 30 euro for the bundle for 27 if you preorder on psn and have ps plus. That's a tasty price for the nostalgia.

This is what Red Dead remaster should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t mind rereleases at all, as long as they’re done well and priced appropriately.

I mean, without re-releases I wouldn’t have played Metroid Prime and that has absolutely been one of my favourite games this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm not a nut for Tomb raider but this is the price point I'd take a chance on at some point. Great to see some sense from publishers on prices. Like @Potential-Monke , I've some great memories of Venice in TR2 and would chance that again for fun

I guess my experience of revisiting old games is that it removes the tinted glass view I had from my childhood and they can often just feel a bit dated and janky. Especially games from the early 3D era of console gaming, 2D games tend to hold up better.

Ha, just started Painkiller in Netflix and there's an extended scene in the 1st episode showing a woman playing the original Tomb Raider, keeps dying and rings the tomb raider hotline for help to get through the Atlantis level :D

LOL can’t believe it took them this long to finally backtrack, and even then it’s ‘we’ll tell you how we’re backtracking in a few days’.

Disastrous PR spectacle, and even if it’s ‘resolved’ they’ve lost a whole bunch of current and future users after proving themselves wholly untrustworthy.

Oof, now Unity are restricting what registered charities they accept for exemption from the installation charge.

How to destroy a company speedrun any% WR

Unity: sorry for the... eh, 'confusion' over our pricing announcement. We aren't evil and will make efforts to fix this. We aren't evil honest.

Also f*ck sick people and the poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That kind of carry on from Unity is Unreal.

Advertisement