Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

They keep saying we need PSB, television and radio programmes that provides information, news and entertainment to the public. There is already Irish tv and radio stations out there providing all that without government /public money. RTE is too fat, it need to shut up shop altogether. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

No, but we have lots of people running RTÉ who are experts on nothing. Well the tax it entirely true, they’re experts on waste and extravagance.

Leaving the remuneration aside, did anyone interviewing/questioning RTÉ yesterday or today ask why does Fair City need to be photographed 16 times a week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭yagan

It is a bit bonkers. It's like the action photos you'd see a local drama group put in a local paper the week before their run. Bonkers that the public broadcaster is at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭RoTelly

He prob has more experience than Dee Forbes had or has.

But the exe producer explained it in her press release, they need photos for the Today Show and .... Ireland AM!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Yes but the item being dealt with is a recommendation from an airline chief. Not who runs RTE currently.

O'Leary runs an airline the equivalent of the cattle boat to Libya in the 80s. If he applied the same principles to RTE we'd have a great solvent RTE but little quality for the consumer.

Dee Forbes had more relevant experience if you look at her cv. But she was still poor and got submerged in a poor overall structure.

People are only saying axe this or keep this on RTE due to personal preference.

Fair City still has a solid fan base. Have a look at the thread here. It's not because of its quality but it's a 34 year institution. Especially popular among older people. It can be comedy at times. It doesn't take itself as seriously as Eastenders with the constant street roaring.

What's axed and what isn't needs to be properly evaluated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Got it in one……the FF lot getting involved…. Few favours being called in.

We’re not exactly over-flowing with quality content from the incumbents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭RoTelly

She has no experience and she was was into deep. She showed little leadership skills by going along with the flow. She made the decision on the Barter Ac and Renault and RT. She either decided to high previous payments to RT or she though she had made saving either way it does not look good.

You cannot defend Dee Forbes because of the structures at RTÉ, she was the at the top and was able to say how to pay RT just like that.

I have no doubt that Michael O'Leary could run RTÉ as well as Dee Forbes and we could at the end of 7 years say, well really he was submerged in a poor overall structure.

RTÉ have failed to provide much more than Fair City.

RTÉ had 3 decision when it cam to Glenroe

1. Axe it and invest in other drama
    2. Make it more like Bally K
    3. Bring it to 2 nights a week

Always difficult to axe a soap, even Brookside would have been a massive decision to axe for Channel 4.

People are questioning why you need 16 photos per week at 60k per year. Invest in writers and actors.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

After an exhaustive search and lengthy interview process the new RTE Official Fair City Cameraman is revealed:

What RTÉ need is a strong manager firstly, which O’Leary is. He wouldn’t be making tv programmes….neither will Bakhurst.

But you’d need a character like O’Leary who has the will and determination to initiate real change, change I don’t have confidence in KB to drive.

I have a recollection of reading in the not too distant past that Fair City has a writing team of over 30, which sounds somewhat excessive.

I missed the producer comment but seriously? They really do take us for complete fools.

O'Leary is not the answer either. Far from it. His opinion is no more valued than anyone who is successful in an unrelated profession, business etc.

The Michael O'Leary stuff is nonsense. Same rubbish about him running the country. Low fare air travel has nothing to do with TV. At least Forbes career involved advertising and broadcasting.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Why not Mick McCarthy, Brian Cody, the Brennan Brothers, Pat Gilroy, Vera Pauw et al. They all 'have the will and determination to initiate real change'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The most ridiculous thing I saw when I entered BOI to register account, after UB transfer, was a huge cardboard cutout of Baz, must say it didn't inspire confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,772 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is she the one introducing the cosmic event doing the rounds from the irish beach?

• Advertisement

No, they're excellent managers and leaders but like O'Leary in different fields. You calling me ridiculous is personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ive no confidence in Bakhurst. His already connections with rte, friendship with many of them clouds his judgement imo.

Rte is too inbred. Too many hanging together. Living near each other. In each other's pockets.

Maybe Forbes came in to do a job, maybe she was sucked into a rot that goes to the very core .

But she chose to do whatever it was she did and whatever decisions she made and she needs to be held accountable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Baffling that Adrian Lynch and Richard Collins are still employed by RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So what happens went they all take redundancy? When Joe, Miriam, Ray etc are gone?

Omg. Report me then for the horrific abuse I’ve hurled your way, 🙄

O’Leary has an MBA and has managed huge growth in his business. To label his experience as equivalent to that of sports managers and “celebrity hotel managers” is frankly, ridiculous.

O’Leary is also a master at cutting costs to suit organizational needs - which RTÉ need at this time.

Forbes for all her experience will likely go down as the worst DG of RTE ever. Much of the blame for the current crisis lies firmly at her door.

Finally, to be pedantic, I didn’t call you ridiculous. I said you’re being ridiculous. There is a difference. Apologies if you can’t see the nuanced difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭CH3OH

This is Wikipedia and there is a link to an Irish Independent article link 27

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_City

"Budget

Edit

In 2016, Fair City cost RTÉ €53,500 per episode, which adds up to €10.7m annually.[23] Fair City actors earned nearly €460 per day. 15 scriptwriters received €3,495 per episode and nine were paid €1,837. RTE said the writers were given "an additional 35pc of the basic fee per episode in respect of a further broadcast of the episode within seven days. These are rates agreed with the Irish Playwrights and Screenwriters Guild".[27]."

I'm hoping that there are only a few writers employed for each episode. I dread to think how big the team is.

As it is repeated the next day the figures each writer gets are really € 4718 and €2480 per episode for 23 minutes of TV

*Based on the 2016 figures.

It seems like a lot of money to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,772 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Those 7yr old figures are shocking.

And that show has 15 script writers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭hawley

Isn't Tubridy making himself a far less attractive proposition by engaging in a legal dispute with RTE? What UK channel would want to hire him, a relative unknown in the UK, who is locked in a legal battle? Just shows how wedded he is to RTE. He wants to bleed every cent that he can out of RTE became he knows that he'll never see the colour of that money elsewhere.

• Advertisement

There’s so much incorrect info. there I don’t know where to start.

I will say this though - again as you seem to fail to understand nuance - I didn’t say I’m the most thanked poster in Current Affairs. I did say I’m the most thanked in this thread - which is a fact. But this thread is not the only thread in Current Affairs. I realize that distinction may be a little subtle for you, but the difference is stark.

If you think someone saying “you’re being ridiculous now” is bullying, as I said report the post. I certainly have not tried to “dominate” you, whatever that is supposed to mean? if you do want to talk about bullying however let’s talk about all of the re-regs created solely to abuse me, highlights of which were calling me a lying scumbag, a cancer, deranged, mentally ill, a psychopath, a sociopath and the c-word amongst other things said to me. I also had re-reg posters PM me to tell me that I “f_ck children” and send me the most hateful, sick, and utterly vile things about my dog who recently was put to sleep. That’s bullying.

I did create the nickname for Tubridy. Again a fact. It’s also not “Tubsidy” btw.

I didn’t mention my own sartorial elegance. Again subtlety and nuance are things you don’t appear to understand. I did talk about Baz’s lack of same however, and how he would not influence me from a clothing perspective. Again, very different from what you’re alleging I said.

i didn’t mention O’Leary’s MBA by suggesting he was the only one in the country to hold one. Those you named however, don’t.

And no it’s not about me. I’ve been talking about issues in RTÉ and the arrangement with NKM for years, long before it was topical. I’ve never done it for attention. If I wanted attention for it I wouldn’t have been saying what I said in an anonymous forum under a pseudonym.

I’m honestly not sure if you’re trolling or just woefully ill-informed on this topic. Either way, it’s time to bid you adieu and put you on ignore. Bye.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement