Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is not just that though it is his lack of presence, that team needs a leader. But Kenny seems so meek, the nice guy. No charisma.

I mean I think of Kevin Keegan as an example - terrible manager tactically etc. But he motivated players got them firing created a buzz. Kenny takes the air out of a room. That is just the reality.

Kenny is poor tactically as has been shown time and again particular example that last Dutch game, and he is a poor motivator. So it is the worst of both worlds.

If there is no old head of an experience manager who would take the job. Maybe just go for a character?

I would even take a Dublin GAA Tommy Lyons soccer character equivalent, or a Davy Fitz soccer type - just to bring the 'buzz' back at this stage. A Roddy Collins 2.0, A Pat Dolan 2.0 ? Is there any about? A larger than life character.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Truth, his engagements with the media are completely devoid of passion… like he’s hardly arsed unless it’s damage limitation.

the reality is he’s just a man in a job that is beyond his ability… but he’s not ready to recognise it, at least publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

He'd command the dressing room for sure. The man gets respect. He's also smart enough to tailor how the team plays according to players available and opponents. He's good with the media. If he wants a go at it, I'd be giving Keano a few years at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭athlone99

No his contract is not going to be renewed. Thats very different to getting sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Gusser09

An absolutely baffling decision by all involved. Kenny gone down in my estimation even further. What will the rest of his tenure look like now? Players will call in sick I'm betting for the rest of the group now. This is worse than the Staunton fiasco by a country mile. Are they waiting until November when the PL sacking season starts?

Lads for what it's worth Giles's opinion and analysis was good about 15 years ago. Even toward the end of his RTE days he had a tendency to drift away for long spells and then come back in with nonsensical arguments. Himself and Dunphy are just going against the grain on this in order to drum up listeners. The way Dunphy treated Trap was criminal. But SK is ok? Nah.

Sk's job when he took over the seniors was to win football matches. He hasn't done it. He has left us in a worse position than when he took over and that's his legacy.

Now the next 3 games in this group are critical in terms of rankings and seedings for future qualifying groups. Is anyone in the FAI actually aware of how it works?

I wouldn't blame a serious manager to stay a million miles away from this.

• Advertisement

Our next 3 games will have no bearing on our seeding, we will still be 3rd seeds, so quit with your nonsense and vitriol.

How do you know Kennys job was to win football matches? Were you in the room involved in the contract talks and privy to what the FAI told him?

You talked waffle for a long time and got yourself banned from the other thread.

What players have downed tools so far? Who has criticized him? You hate him and are projecting your hate and making up nonsense.

Nonsense post.

"Stevo go in there and lose as much games as you can bud"

Go back to the other thread if you want. This one isn't moderated by the Stasi. Opinions that differ from the LOI fanboy narrative are allowed mate.

What do you think his job is ? Are football managers hired not to win matches ?

Great argument. Shows you up, debate if you like. I've countered your nonsense.

Kenny was likely told his first campaign was to bring in young players and try be competitive, finished 3rd all be it reversed into it. He has now failed to likely finish 3rd in the Euro group where we got 2 excellent sides and the top rated 4th seed. His contract most likely wont be renewed after November but yes all our players are gonna go sick and not bother to turn up, and we are gonna end up 5th seeds and the Landsdowne Road is going to explode when Kenny walks out the next game.

And no serious or Premier league manager is ever gonna touch the ROI senior team again.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

If the FAI are to be any way consistent, after the Vera Paew affair, then Kenny has to go. I am amazed at how many apologists there are. He certainly seems to have a cohort of followers who will stay loyal, despite his miserable record.

• Advertisement

When you have a squad of mainly 30+ year old players, at some stage a manager has to introduce new younger players. Every football manager is hired to try and win matches, some do it some dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Vera Pauw's contract was up, and the dressing room had soured on her. It's a different scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Musicrules

No it's not. It's practically the same thing! He's been let go. For some reason the FAI are delaying it.

The squad average age was about 28 years of age when he took over and for the first 10 matches he basically picked the exact same team as McCarthy. He wasn't building for the future. That talk only came about after losing to Luxembourg and getting effectively knocked out of qualification. Kenny then spoofed about actually his aim was 2024.

Qualification for 2024 hasn't gone really well has it?

Whereas the Irish male players seem to be so happy with SK they deem failure acceptable. Anyother half respectable team by now would have railed against him. Says a lot about the character of some of them. In no way would Given, Duff, Keane, Kilbane, O'Shea, Whelan, Roy Keane, Irwin, Finnan, Kinsella, Walters etc accepted this run of results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

None of that changes the fact the Pauw and Kenny scenarios are different scenarios.

Now, 5 out of the 23 players in the squad vs Holland were 30+ . He’s still not winning matches….

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Sorry now, but the only nonsense is coming from yourself.

• Advertisement

It's absolutely a different scenario but core issues are similar.

Complete nonsense from that poster. They're better off running back to the Stephen Kenny appreciation thread on the soccer forum! Nearly all posters critical of Kenny are banned from that thread. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Removed as post wasn't quoted properly

Post edited by jiltloop on

And how many caps did those lads have?

No im actually a realist, we invested nothing in our game here and are now paying for it. Simple enough, a re set was coming the fact many didnt see that is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

"How do you know Kenny's job was to win football matches?"

😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭pgj2015

We may as well get Trap back as go for Keane.

would you be happy with Graham Souness for the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Absolutely delighted with the firm break in managers having no long-term view and belittling us into playing long ball because that is all we could possibly play. And many (maybe all) managers are stunted in their viewpoints. Never seemed like they wanted to evolve with the game and came up short so many times to any manager who had half a modern tactical brain.

Kenny brought youth, a positive brave approach to playing, and is watchable. But it's time, he's short tactically, seems to lack game management and all seems a little bit overwhelmed by it.

Bumbling in front of the media using stupid tropes, and edging into the annoyingly irritable habit of some managers (Martinez, Rodgers) to always find a positive no matter the loss or result. You're on a losing streak Kenny and what would help is if you showed dissatisfaction and faced up to reality that it isn't good enough. Saying "we go again" isn't a rallying cry it's just annoying.

But if the next manager builds on what Kenny has put in place he will surely deserve the credit coming to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Didn't most of them "accept" the run of results under Stan that included a 5-2 defeat in Cyprus and one of the most diabolical defensive performances I've ever seen in the 4-0 defeat at home to Netherlands?

The players aren't "happy" with failure. F**k me, it takes incredible dedication to the game to reach LOI level, let alone pay in the upper reaches of the English game. These boys don't just accept failure.

It's fine to criticise Kenny and criticise the players. What irks the f**k out of me is when people project nonsense or their own low standards onto others. Kenny is a bloody good football manager who knows more about the game than every poster on here combined. He's just not good enough for the job he's in. He's given it a go, he's tried his best, he's failed (but not my the margin some people seem to think). He'll move on and good luck to him wherever he goes.

Builds on falling over 20 places down the World rankings with 6 major failures while having a squad who almost qualified for Euro 2020 added to by our most exciting talent to emerge in a generation?

I really hope the next manager doesn't build on that. Kenny has left some mess for the next guy to clean up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Neither of them will be good managers . Kenny may be a good coach , but he has never done it at the business side of the game , ie a major league. Keane would piss everyone off plus the media when they question him he’ll go blah blah I won this and that . No , the most successful manager he ever had dumped his for being a troublemaker. Plus he he threw a diva episode on the eve of a World Cup. Keane can **** right off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement