Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Complete nonsense from that poster. They're better off running back to the Stephen Kenny appreciation thread on the soccer forum! Nearly all posters critical of Kenny are banned from that thread. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Removed as post wasn't quoted properly

Post edited by jiltloop on

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭athlone99

And how many caps did those lads have?

No im actually a realist, we invested nothing in our game here and are now paying for it. Simple enough, a re set was coming the fact many didnt see that is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

"How do you know Kenny's job was to win football matches?"

😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

We may as well get Trap back as go for Keane.

would you be happy with Graham Souness for the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Absolutely delighted with the firm break in managers having no long-term view and belittling us into playing long ball because that is all we could possibly play. And many (maybe all) managers are stunted in their viewpoints. Never seemed like they wanted to evolve with the game and came up short so many times to any manager who had half a modern tactical brain.

Kenny brought youth, a positive brave approach to playing, and is watchable. But it's time, he's short tactically, seems to lack game management and all seems a little bit overwhelmed by it.

Bumbling in front of the media using stupid tropes, and edging into the annoyingly irritable habit of some managers (Martinez, Rodgers) to always find a positive no matter the loss or result. You're on a losing streak Kenny and what would help is if you showed dissatisfaction and faced up to reality that it isn't good enough. Saying "we go again" isn't a rallying cry it's just annoying.

But if the next manager builds on what Kenny has put in place he will surely deserve the credit coming to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Didn't most of them "accept" the run of results under Stan that included a 5-2 defeat in Cyprus and one of the most diabolical defensive performances I've ever seen in the 4-0 defeat at home to Netherlands?

The players aren't "happy" with failure. F**k me, it takes incredible dedication to the game to reach LOI level, let alone pay in the upper reaches of the English game. These boys don't just accept failure.

It's fine to criticise Kenny and criticise the players. What irks the f**k out of me is when people project nonsense or their own low standards onto others. Kenny is a bloody good football manager who knows more about the game than every poster on here combined. He's just not good enough for the job he's in. He's given it a go, he's tried his best, he's failed (but not my the margin some people seem to think). He'll move on and good luck to him wherever he goes.

Builds on falling over 20 places down the World rankings with 6 major failures while having a squad who almost qualified for Euro 2020 added to by our most exciting talent to emerge in a generation?

I really hope the next manager doesn't build on that. Kenny has left some mess for the next guy to clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Neither of them will be good managers . Kenny may be a good coach , but he has never done it at the business side of the game , ie a major league. Keane would piss everyone off plus the media when they question him he’ll go blah blah I won this and that . No , the most successful manager he ever had dumped his for being a troublemaker. Plus he he threw a diva episode on the eve of a World Cup. Keane can **** right off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Giles having a shocker on otb. " duffy came in and was outstoung at centre back"

Refers to the dutch and french game

Ffs

• Advertisement

Giles says SK cant be judged on losses to Armenia or Lux. They are too long ago.

Giles then says that we should set up like cloughs Notts Forrest team of 40 years ago. 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Kenny has lost 4 of his last 5 in charge of Ireland.

Giles is a soon to be 83 year old who for quite a while has been irrelevant and hasn’t exactly had his finger on the pulse of international or domestic soccer.

he claims United went backwards under Ten Hag, however, results and the table tell differently.

Ive a sickening feeling that Kenny eill get an extension. I think the FAI will take onboard what a lot of the media are saying.

Giles reckons Kenny has improved improved Ireland. Nathan Murphy hanging on every word he was saying. Mad stuff.

Kenny was never going to lose his job for defeats to france. But he put himself under pressure going into the Dutch game and utterly failed to make calls on the line that could change how we were trying break them down.

He couldnt coach the team versus an average Greece team and they made mugs of him and us but what does he come out and say? " eh good team those eh...ye know tony olympiacos...champions league...and our players?"

Its ok to say our players arent capable of competing again the french, dutch, greeks, armenians, luxermbourgers etc when it suits the Kenny fans narrative. But its not ok to question the style and system they are being asked to play?

Theres a good reason why MON and Trap played the way they did with superior players. To compete.

What does it say if successful managers like those lads approached it like that and this chancer thinks he can outplay the french at their own game.

SPOOFER.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Eamon Dunphy was nearly crying talking about Duffy on his podcast. Blabbering on about what a 'great man' he is as well as a player. Very bizarre.

At fault for 2 goals v the dutch. If Harry Maguire done that he would be torn apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

We are much better than under O’Neill. We play better football. we back ourselves.

It is 100 times more preferable than the previous 2 managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

“Much better”

Results just don’t align with that delusion. Unfortunately you get points in football for scoring as many or more goals than the opposition. Not for making more passes across the back 5 than your opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The reactions on Dunphy (and you could include Giles) regarding their support for SK are entirely self-serving. Dunphy, in particular, launched attack after attack on the style of play used by Trap and O'Neill - both managers with vastly more managerial experience at a higher level than the LoI than Kenny. Dunphy basically thought Ireland could play like Brazil 1970 if only we didn't have dinosaurs like Trap/O'Neill. He used the other O'Neill, Michael, at Northern Ireland (who admittedly did a very good job with limited talent at his exposure).

So Dunphy/Giles got what they wanted in the form of Kenny. Kenny got the plaudits from the media for supposedly changing the style of play but he really did nothing of the sort. For sure he encouraged a passing game yet most of that passing was among the back four and going nowhere. As Martin O'Neill has stated ..... as an international manager your time is very limited with the players to introduce anything and he is, of course, entirely right.

This is not to state that Kenny didn't deserve encouragement and, indeed, plaudits for having the courage to introduce a different style. But his weakness was not to realise he needed to change approach when it clearly wasn't working (as it didn't in many matches). I also believe that Kenny is placing more belief in players who are not as good as he thinks they are.

So the situation with Dunphy/Giles is that they're now left with egg on their faces. The Kenny project hasn't worked and he needs to be replaced and left to rebuild his career. Like the brexiteers still believing in the failed project. . . they are still very much members of the cult of SK.

Kenny is about on par with O'Neill when he lost the dressing room for the Nation's League. We came bottom of our group, behind Denmark and Wales. He's far behind where O'Neill had us qualifying for major tournaments and playing really well at them. He's also well behind McCarthy who nearly qualified us for Euro 2020.

He's as bad as Staunton if not worse. I don't think many manager's could have done as badly over the last 3 years. 6 failures in that short time is some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Greengrass53

How much is he paying dunphy and Giles, they still are messianic in their support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Greengrass53

For all this talk of his wonderful playing style, how many goals have we scored since he became manager.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

That comment above is completely delusional.

He is managing the senior team , senior football is about getting results.We qualified for tournaments under Trappatoni and O'Neill.

Also the style of play isn't much better it's just some people think an Irish team playing 3 or 4 short passes is revolutionary, some people are easily impressed.

During O'Neill and Traps time it was also much more difficult to qualify as the number of countries in the Euros has now increased by 50% and even with all that help Kenny can't get us close.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The FAI is bailed out by taxpayers money as much as RTE and Stephen Kenny is getting €540K a year which is €110k a year more than Ryan Tubridy was getting.

Neither are very good at the jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

To be fair, the football is better to watch and we are trying to play a more possession based game.

But you have to be honest about it, results are a lot worse than under O'Neill and Trapattoni. I think a lot of people thought "better football will equal better results". There isn't necessarily a correlation between the two. Sometimes, if it's results you're after, ugly football is a better option. Which is why managers like Allardyce or Bruce aren't necessarily to be sniffed at. They are actually pretty good at what they do...it's just not my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Thankfully, Kenny's contract is almost up too. I really can't see the FAI keeping him on. While the younger players will still support Kenny, I'm sure the older players must be getting frustrated with hiim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

I had hoped Kenny would do well but unfortunately it hasn't worked out. I really hope we don't go for a manager such as Bruce who has never done much at club level.

One thing that really bugs me is that some retired players (now pundits) had it in for Kenny because he came from a LOI background. That attitude, which was shared by some players at the time, did for Brian Kerr. His international success at under age level was disregarded. I think he could have been successful if he wasn't dumped so quickly because he didn't get on with Delaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

But you could reverse that in the fact a lot of pundits and supporters were backing Kenny just because of his LOI background...especially they guys on Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 36,307 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah there’s clearly a cohort of media and fans who see Stephen Kenny being manager as the endgame in of itself.

Having a LOI man in charge, who is committed to trying to play and will not be adverse to picking LOI players / in form young players in England covers off their key objectives. Results and qualifying for tournaments are secondary because - for this cohort - Ireland winning and going to tournaments in the past was external to their view of football. Foreign managers with some foreign born players playing utilitarian football cheered on by fans who would never go to their local LOI game.

It is clear to me that a hard edge to this group would keep Kenny on for another tournament process or two, and the idea would be that eventually we’ll just fall into a tournament and that joy can be “theirs”. If Kenny is sacked and replaced by a non LOI man with a different background then their control of the whole entity is lost once again.

Roy Keane likely wouldn’t select LOI players, or be present at LOI games, or regularly attend U21 games. His view of the playing pool will be different to Kenny’s, his focus will be on how to best get results, and how he will interact with the media and discuss the Senior Team and its objectives will not have any philosophical / ideological component to it. Therefore a manager like Keane must be opposed at all costs, and reasons will be found to oppose all such candidates. The manager must be pure LOI stock, ideally Irish, ideally living in Ireland, ideally with an intention to try and pass the ball - practicalities be damned.

These people are simply lunatics and have had far too much air time the last three years. Because they are a minority. Most people who think about the Irish Senior team want us to win games and qualify for tournaments and aren’t ideological about how we do it. The “silent majority”, as it were, needs to come back into focus again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Like you am absolutely baffled by this logic. If it was true that Ireland were 'better' than O'Neill and the style of play was better done correctly - and looked competent then I would buy the logic below.

But there are a number of questions which period of O'Neills team

1) When he qualified for the Euros ?

or

2) When the players stopped doing what made them effective, and became aimless - when it was clear that the team was on the downward spiral?

If Kenny played football like O'Neills team did in the Euros- the Kennyites would be creaming themselves and calling for statues and roads to named in his honour.

--

There are also two major problems with the logic that Kenny has made Ireland better -

1) When Kenny's team initially played v Bulgaria, Finland, Wales, Luxembourg etc his team was really easy for any team to play against. Sideways, sideways in their own half. Awful stuff,

2) The only time Kenny's team has the occasional flash of hope was when they abandoned the Kennyball philosophy and went with quick and direct ball (The second time they played Luxembourg or the first time they played Scotland.)

In that Scottish 3-0 game Ireland has less possession than Scotland and caught Scotland on the counter - it had little to do with keep ball and a 'philosophy'

Against the the really good sides Ireland just sat back and hoped for the best, any real threat came from set pieces - The France games and Portugal games for example. In the last Dutch game Ireland were blessed with a goal from a Dutch error at the back which resulted in a penalty. That was it. After that Kenny got done by Koeman tactically.

3) Kenny's biggest sin in my opinion is that he took away Ireland's greatest strength the high energy Irish teams have when they are at their best. Kenny's Ireland is the most passive and meek Irish side I can ever remember. Little threat and always likely to concede a goal as a result of their meekness. I think this is reflection of the manager.

Kenny to me has the air of the son in law any mother would like their daughter to marry - a nice guy, big dreams, but really plays it safe when push comes to shove.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The Newstalk stuff is comical as they twist and turn, try to rewrite narratives as they speak. They must feel like fierce eejits altogether.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement