Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So it looks like I'll need to cancel my We Charge card

More accurately, We Charge stopped accepting Revolut and I refused to open another bank account to keep using it, so they're freezing my account

I may also have explained to them that if they weren't a bunch of bumbling idiots who couldn't find their wallets if they were holding them then they wouldn't have so many issues with taking payments

Anyways.... I might need to get another charging card at some point if I travel to another country so decided to investigate various cards

I found this site which seems pretty cool as a way of comparing different cards

Seems pretty detailed and there's a lot of filters, there's even a nice cost comparison of different charging cards and they rate the coverage in each country in Europe (well, 12 countries in Europe, I guess we weren't important enough to make the list)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have scanmytesla, you don't have to give any account details, just hook up a Bluetooth OBD reader and that's it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,049 ✭✭✭CoBo55

He's not here there's a sale on tin foil in his local Lidl he's stocking up😊😊

As an software engineer I would highly recommend you just assume any data you put on the internet will be leaked or lost eventually

Software companies are either totally incompetent with security or they just don't give a f**k

Now how sensitive is the data they could grab from your car? Depends on what's being recorded, I imagine some people might not want their location history being dumped on the internet for example

Maybe they need better software engineers... How many rolls did you get😉

With your phone in the car your location history is being "dumped" as you eloquently put it on the internet continuously.

• Advertisement

I unfortunately didn't get many rolls since the lunches weren't free 😉

I suppose the point I'm making is that when you grant a 3rd party application access to your account, it's worth keeping in mind that once they have access there's a whole range of data they can store

On top of that, while Tesla probably has decent software security, some app developed and maintained by a couple of enterprising software engineers may not have the same level of security

Now, is it any less secure than your phone? Probably not, even if your phone's OS is reasonably secure, a lot of the apps probably aren't

But if you're in any way wary of privacy then it's worth paying attention to the data your car is storing as much as you'd be looking at other things

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Moved the EU/Chinese Subsidies investigation to own topic https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058313588/eu-investigates-chinese-ev-manufacturing-subsidies#latest

So I've been trying to figure out a way of viewing recently planning applications for EV charging hubs

Previously I've been cycling through the planning lists of various county councils, which is pretty head wrecking

However I found the link below which allows you to query the national database

It's not exactly user friendly but if you're familiar with SQL then you can figure it out. I was able to assemble a list of recent applications for EV chargers using the query below in the "where" field

ReceivedDate >= '2023-09-01 12:00:00 AM' AND (DevelopmentDescription LIKE '%EV charg%' OR DevelopmentDescription LIKE '%ev charg%' OR DevelopmentDescription LIKE '%electric vehicle%')'DevelopmentDescription' LIKE '%EV charg%' OR 'DevelopmentDescription' LIKE '%ev charg%' OR 'DevelopmentDescription' LIKE '%electric vehicle%'

Someone with better database skills can probably make up a better query, I tend to run and hide whenever SQL gets mentioned 😅

There's a list of the available fields here:

From what I can tell there are some drawbacks

Main one probably being that any hub up to 4 chargers doesn't require planning permission

Also not every county council is updating the DB, Dublin City seem to be not bothering to keep it updated

Anyway, it might help some people to track new hubs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Is there a topic for BYD Dolphin? I saw they have publised prices on the website but I can't find any discussion on here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is it not against EU law for them not to accept it? It’s an Irish registered bank.

Maybe, I'll certainly be making a complaint to the CCPC but I kinda doubt I'll get much traction

There's a lot of ways I can get around it, but I'm really not bothered setting up another bank account for to 2 times a year I need public charging

Particularly if DC chargers are all going to require card terminals in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

It is not about Revolut it is about prepay credit cards. Their business model is they bill you and you pay in 14 days I believe they got burnt by some people cancelling the cards in this interval. Elli sent the same email.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

That was actually really interesting, nice to see some well thought out analysis being published instead of the usual conspiracy theories

Ouch, that ain't gonna be good

I guess they'll just have to lower prices now or risk becoming irrelevant

Revolut cards are identified as Mastercard Debit cards and not a credit card. The risk would be the same using my AIB Debit Card as my Revolut one. I can't see Revolut being happy they are being discriminated against.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I can’t understand the infatuation over the past few years of wishing the ‘legacy car manufacturers’ go out of business because their EV offering doesn’t weigh up to our individual expectations; usually to prove some misplaced point about some other EV that apparently does.

A fortnight ago with was BMW, last week was a hum dinger about Toyota, this week VW …. next week Hyundai?

these are the cars we’ve all driven for decades and largely loved. I can’t imagine having the negative mindset of wishing they’d simply go bust or become irrelevant.

These companies know their customer. They plan and strategise things literally years in advance. We don’t have any insight into the market that they haven’t seen!

mid they go bust, we have an EV choice between a load of chinese ‘brands’ and a US one. It would be an absolute disaster.

we should be cheering for the legacy manufacturers to have great EV offerings!

car enthusiasts are a small fraction of a % of car sales. Everyone else just wants ‘a car’.

The ID4 is a huge hit in Ireland, like it or not.

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't want to see VW go under either, but the simple fact is they aren't selling enough in Germany and other European countries

Ireland seems to be the exception to that

In general, I think the reason is simple, Tesla can now sell a Model Y for less than a base spec ID.4 and it is arguably the better car for most European drivers

VW are going to have to cut prices sooner or later

EDIT: Okay so I guess for some clarification it looks like there's going to be 269 job cuts which will take the form of contract workers not getting their contract renewed (source was Bloomberg, but I don't have the link on my phone)

There's also going to be some changes to the shift schedule

So, hardly a collapse of the factory

This is likely partly down to VW's efforts to cut costs, generally the contractor are the first to go when this stuff happens

There's probably also going to be a production slowdown due to lower demand

My views are still the same, I like VW, and it's likely my next EV will be a VW again, but their cars are still overvalued compared to the competition

A country like Ireland that doesn’t do private leasing is a great case study for private car sales.

the M3 is the 40th best selling car (it fared very little better in previous years), the Y is at 17th and the ID4 is 5th.

Irish buyers just aren’t enamoured by tesla. I’m surrounded by them here in commuter-ville and I do like them, but on the one hand I’m one of those people who just refuses to believe a word from their CEO’s mouth, and on the other hand, VW will keep me on 0% pcp. New car, move on.

the Y and 3 have been a huge success in the UK and EU because of lease deals. Remember a few years ago companies and individuals who were concerned about the move to a EV were simply told to ‘lease it and hand it back at the end’. There are now tonnes of 3’s coming out of 3year leases in the UK and it will affect the 2nd hand market a lot imho.

great news for us here in Ireland most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Question re SEAI grant - is is staying at €35000 next year or is it gone completely- or is the decision still to be made? Tempted by price drops with Skoda but the grant would need to be guaranteed before ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wish it was €35,000 😁

We'll have to wait until budget day to be sure, might as well start placing your bets

I'm pretty sure if they do cut it then there'll be a lead in time, it won't be on budget day

If you're ordering now then I wouldn't be surprised if you got the car before January

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Apologies that was a typo - I mean 3500! Defo won’t be registering this year but maybe having the order placed this year would be enough?

Honda are bringing back a fold up motorbike as an electric version

Looks cool and I like how it folds up very neatly

I do wonder what happens when you drive it on anything other than perfectly manicured CGI streets. How does the thing perform when there's a load of wet leaves jammed into the body

There's also a case of the competition, there's plenty of electric fold up bikes or scooters available nowadays, most of which don't require a moped license (this probably would)

Of course, you still need more park and ride facilities that people can use on their commute into cities

Or an even better idea, heavily promote working from home so people don't need to commute. Literally fixes 90% of traffic problems instantly. Maybe they could turn all those ugly offices in Dublin into apartments as well to fix the housing crisis (not that it would)

Following on from yesterday's story, I guess the best defence is a good offence? 🤔

Q4 E-Tron production will be started in Brussels, and ID.3 production started in Wolfsburg. I think this is parallel production to Zwickau rather than fully moving the models to different factories

While the timing seems strange, it's all part of planning that's been going on for years

And while you might wonder why VW aren't freezing the plans, I think it kind of makes sense. It's a lot worse to miss a market opportunity because you were lacking production capacity, and I believe all the factories other than Zwickau and Dresden (which is tiny anyway) can continue producing ICE cars in the meantime (yay 😒)

It's generally easy enough to throttle production in factories and wait for demand to pick up as long as you can keep enough money coming in to keep the lights on

So it looks like VW is in it for the long haul on electrification

• Advertisement

It’ll be critical for them to get the ID2 onto driveways before Tesla do a model 2, assuming tesla can announce/tool/deliver it in the coming years.

as an aside, I read earlier that they’ve been holding all the $50k deposits (interest free loans) for the Roadster for 6.5years as of today.

Advertisement