Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheeky neighbour or how would you handle this ???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

so after reading all peoples comments , advice and previous experiences .

Im going to " bump " into the neightbours over the next week or so and welcome them back home etc . compliment them on the new fence and house and just say that i noticed a little gate in the fence and due to insurance and the nature of animal behavior that its best we permanently close the gate for their kids safety and to protect their new fence im going to install an electric fence to the rear of the new stud railing

Im just waiting on the hedgecutter to arrive here so ill say that once he is here and gone ill do the fencing before i let cattle out

I never had a word with a neightbour here , i hope to keep it that way, everyone is entitled to enjoy their home and the countryside once you should respect and courtesy to everyone else. its a 2-way street

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Bought some land and one of the acess points is through other property but its not marked on a map but I asked the solicitor about and I was told that as there was a gate there it was implied right of way otherwise why would the gate be there .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Put a chain and a lock on the gate 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have had 2 new neighbours move in to houses here in the last few years, I just went up and introduced myself and gave my number if any issues came up and with stock and it has worked away the finest so far anyway. Would put an electric fence around all our boundaries anyway regardless of if its a house or ditch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not how it works, the gate in this scenario was not there, putting it there does not give you ROW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Mr..

A lot of posters have said about community spirit but the home owners didnt act that way, maybe park in front of their house and use the gate to access your field!!! and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I mentioned right of way but I should have said Wayleave. The house owner could establish this if he needs access to the field for some reason. My advice is to give him no reason. Let him know in no uncertain terms that its private property, no access is given or presumed. If you are worried about falling out with them then don't be. They were brazen enough to put a gate into your field, so if you let them away with that they'll forever be walking over you. What next, will he take over servicing your wife?

• As the land owner, the obligation is on you to have your boundaries stock proof., them putting a timber gate/fence along it compromises that. Tell them that and that you have no choice but to put up a fence suitable for livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It was checky going on your land to put up fence with out asking I can see why you would be causish no harm putting up your own fence for your own peace of mind, sheep wire and 2 good strands of barbed wire on top and leave a small 2 foot gap beside gate so a young lad can get in for a ball or what ever. But remember this if they is ever a tradgidy in the family or in the village it could well be the blow in that could be the greatest help to you I seen it first hand here myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

I take it bear traps are out of the question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

I sold a site years ago but a condition of selling it was the site was to be fenced off at the boundary with sheep wire and two row of barb at their expense, I decided I'd do it to be sure some cowboy didn't but shite posts etc in.. I added offset insulators on as well and one strand of high tensile electric

I don't know if good fences make good neighbours but they definitely solve inconvenient pains in the hole for me....I hate being called (usually when I am up to my tits) about cattle breaking in or out.

I'd be inclined to put up an electric fence with the warning signs and not give two hoots about someone getting the hump tbh....

If it was mentioned...I'm simply keeping my stock back from the fence and ultimately minimising the chance of it being damaged.....and perfectly within my rights......its them taking liberties after all, I'd be unlikely to be able to make an entrance through my neighbours garden fence in housing estate without eyebrows being raised?

Selling of sites should have been banned 50 years ago. These one off houses on large sites is a terrible waste of resources and valuable farm land. We the tax payer are paying to bring water and other utilities to these houses that are scattered randomly around the country, spent a week in Germany there during the summer lovely little clusters of houses in villages and you could drive for a few miles again through lovely unspoilded country side before we see another house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

You might need to do a bit more research there before spouting such rubbish.

Majority of houses on countryside sites pay thousands to bore their own wells for water and fit sewage treatment systems. They then pay the running and maintenance costs too. They also pay a council charge before building commences which has some fancy name now but used to be a “footpath and street lighting” charge. The amount varies depending on the different councils but in some counties it’s upwards of €10,000. And guess what, the majority that pay it don’t have footpaths or street lights outside their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Thanks Kerry. Where will I send the bill?

My septic tank was 10k (cheaper end for rural) and I pay every year to 2 to empty.

Water connection was 4K I think and I have a yearly bill as it’s a group scheme.

I really appreciate your offer of cost sharing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Agree with this. The amount of good land lost to one offs is criminal. My dad always said it though, only bad farmers sell sites. It's always been a way for bad farmers to keep on being bad farmers. Real farmers want to farm the ground they have not build one offs.

I used the proceeds to help me buy more ground to farm...

What kind of farmer does that make me?

Actually don't answer that, you have me dead to rights, I'm a self confessed awful human being and I couldn't give two **** 🤠

Don't be so sensitive. We all know farmers selling off sites every time they need a pay day. Useless fuckers. Custodians of the land my hole. Not all mind but many. I hate this attitude that all farmers think the same way. We don't.

Wells are getting contaminated big time and costings big money to maintain and water pipes that were put in 20 years ago by rural schemes are being replaced already at huge expense as they are all leaking as they were push fit and now are being replaced by welded PVC ones so just because they was a ones off payment at the start the upkeep and maintainance of these utilities is very costly.

Let me get this straight....you are telling me not to be so sensitive?

Take a look at what you wrote above and what I wrote before that.

🤣🤣😘

Username does not check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

And the country people your talking about, if this contamination happens them, will bear all that cost themselves as the wells are their own private wells that they paid for from their own pockets and put in place to serve only their own private house or farm. Not one penny of public money has, or ever will, be spent on them.

The saying “it’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool, than open it and remove all doubt” comes to mind here.

Just as an FYI, the private well I have here which serves only my house and farm cost over €9,000 between boring it, fitting pump, piping and treatment system. Sewerage, for a raised bed treatment system, cost close to €15,000 between tank, pump system, raised bed, piping, stone, digger, labour etc. Storm water around farm yard and house has definitely cost upwards of €10,000 too between manholes, piping, digger, labour etc. as well.

So that’s upwards of €34,000 I’ve spent on the basic facilities that don’t cost urban dwellers a single penny as it’s all provided to them for free. Those urban dwellers really are a leach on society aren’t they!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

😂😂😂😂

This is chronic.

I'm guessing your old boy isn’t a farmer at all, But if he is, He’s not half bitter about no one coming to his door to buy a site.

Touched a nerve? 😘🤣 Good farmers acquire ground, they don't sell it. Money is made in the farming and commonly on off farm jobs. If the farming isn't paying you're a shite farmer just like in any other business

You are being very sensitive. People have differing opinions. Get over it. You'll live longer. 🙂

Was never a site sold here if that’s what you’re implying.

Is that what a good farmer is?Jesus I’ll have to reassess how I rate farmers.

I do a bit of milking for a man, Tidy operator, Cows and young stock in great condition, Grass management second to none. You’ll never believe this. He actually chose not to renew a long-standing lease because when he did the figures, He figured he would barely be any worse off milking less cows, Having more time out of the parlour and buying less fertiliser. I thought he was a top farmer. Not looking forward to having to tell him he’s actually not a good farmer because he’s not looking to get more land and take on more work. Not that I think about it he’s some bollox isn’t he?

I dunno why you're being so personal. I'm not pointing at you. All I said is that a lot of bad farmers sell sites to make ends meet. We all know this even if it's not widely admitted. I don't know why you're giving me all these details about something that is totally irrelevant. Business is business. You make money or you get out. Your example isn't someone selling sites so why bring it up?

We are not talking about the same thing, I am on about farmers that sold sites for houses that didn't care about there neighbours or the services that people required to live there, I have no problem with the chosen one to build a house on his own land, that 34K you are on about that cost you must be for farm and house , you won't be foolish enough to buy a site with out a good water supply.

Disagreeing with an opinion is taking things personal? I’m learning a lot today 😅

You said only bad farmers sell sites, And good farmers acquire land. My little analogy was disproving what you were saying but it appears that went over your head a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Embarrassing yourself here fella.

And you keep going that's the gas part.

Go have a pint and then lie down afterwards. Might keep your blood pressure down even when your pretending to have the 'it's all cool bro' 'I'm just saying' you keep replying which means you've a bug bear. Chill.. you are most not. Embarrassing of a Friday you most definitely are.

@ justjoe. Again, you're coming from an aggrieved place. You are giving me details personal to you to argue a point... badly. That's what's gone over your head. And yes, bad farmers in unsustainable businessed sell sites. Sorry it hurts you to say this.

• Advertisement

@lister. You're embarrassing yourself with that vacuous response. Absolutely no point made. You're very clearly triggered by someone disagreeing with you. I know this is an issue in rural ireland where deviance from homogeneous mindsets is anathema to many but that's life, that's reality. Have a lie down now, I'm just someone with a different point of view, no need to be so defensive. You've shown this sticks in your craw but that's not my problem.

Regardless, this is way off thread topic now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement