Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'd say what's currently advertised will be for new customers, don't think existing customers will be willingly moved to a cheaper plan at all, even if willing to take a fifty euro hit as an exit fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Seems all variable rate plans?

Is there any FG plan that will be Jess than the community/BWG plan after this takes effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Ya, it looks like 30 % reduction on their horrendously high standard rates, this is the Bonkers interpretation also:

Current & Future Day/night rates, so nothing significant at all with this reduction.

Flogas d/n :

SSE are still almost 10 cent cheaper on the day rate:

All rates inc vat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,197 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hardly worth wondering. If a price for something goes lower than the one you're paying then it's obviously worth it.

The current reductions are still a good bit higher than the Flogas offer but if someone wants to throw a 40% discount around I'm sure they'll get people.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

So that just leaves Bord Gáis as the last big company not to announce a rate decrease.

I don't like this new trend of them announcing drops now but not kicking in for 2 months. Electric Ireland and PrepayPower not starting til Nov 1st and now Flogas not til Nov 6th. It was nearly always one month's notice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭lotas

So... Now im confused... Old Flogas rate on their site is 35 ex vat... taking 30% of that give some 24c ex vat, which is 50 quid a month cheaper for me from my current rate of 28c on EI (renewal price would be 36c and 134 extra a month). Contract is up end of September, but is that rate correct? I would have to pay an extra 100 quid for October, but would then be saving 50 a month after... Is my math correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

that Flogas plan you are referencing, is a “Fixed Rate” plan, the 30 % price reduction only appears to apply, to Variable Price plans, and not to Fixed Rate plans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Anyone else totally flummoxed in trying to select an energy provider?

Between varying 'standing' charges, fixed and variable unit rates, smart and non smart plans, and drip feed announcements of intentions to reduce prices in the future, you would need the skills of an SQL Database programmer to work out what you should do now.

I just want to identify the best value for gas and electric for my circumstances, but it is turning in to a exercise akin to planning an investment on the stock exchange. The time and level of research required is ridiculous and unfair, particularly for older people.

What is the regulator doing to protect the consumer from the increasingly complex smoke and mirrors price tactics that are being forced upon us? (that is a rhetorical question, I know the CRU is doing fcuk all).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 delerium1

Bord Gais are taking their time on announcing a reduction, I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

? They are not required to reduce rates. They can also take all the time they want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Go to Bonkers/Switcher.ie. That's exactly their purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Maybe they don't want new customers and are happy to retain the ones they have. My renewal offer from them at 33% discount still works out cheaper for my usage than any other provider with all recent price decreases factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Yes, it seems to be the approach they're using at the moment, and to give them some credit it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R11

Well said,totally agree with everything you've said there.

My dual fuel contract with SSE is up on 17th,was going to switch to energia....then saw Flogas announcement.....but only applies to variable rates??!. It's hugely confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Wait until everyone announces, under cut lowest by 0.5c and announce in the national media that you have the cheapest rates in Ireland. Seems like a plan

Flogas were always sneaky, at one stage they were easily the highest priced provider with both standing charges and unit rates. I'm staying with them as I was lucky enough to get the BWG plan, as soon as it pays me to move I'll be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

Having signed for 33% off their rates, I see nothing wrong with that plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The 30% is off their standard prices. It's all smoke & mirrors on their part as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

That's only useful if you are looking for a 24h plan

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭ECookie13

This is the way for anyone on the Community or BWG plan. Wait and see and don't be jumping to conclusions just yet as to what the rates will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

You can select D/N plans on Bonkers & Switcher.

I wouldn't put all my faith in those sites either. I have put the same query info into different CRU approved switch sites and have received different results claiming to be the best option.

If the plans are so complicated that it needs a commercially biased service to try and explain them for you, then the system is not fair for the consumer. They are brokers selling deals, they are not the independent sources of honest info that they purport to be, or that the CRU endorses.

Their mere requirement for existence, proves my point.

Select deals you can't sign up to here gives a bit more impartiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

Also the fact I always thought this thread was for bargains and giving advice to people who cannot muddle through the smoke and mirrors tactics used and older members who don't know the abbreviated terms used here and online but some posters only want to answer the questions they feel are important to the thread hence why a number of people have just stopped giving advice due to the nitpicking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Where did you get the see prices. Can’t find them anywhere? The work with a smart meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

Should change the name of this thread -CONFUSED.com!!!🤔🤔🤔

I am aware of that and have already complained to the CRU that this particular tactic is being employed by the switch sites - you don't get to see every deal available, unless you tick the correct box. Their response was that the sites are complying with the current CRU specified requirements. When I asked if the requirements were being reviewed, I was told that they were. That was six months ago and I have heard nothing since and the level of complexity and confusion concerning price plans has increased in the meantime.

Is knowing how to work around their system so that you can achieve 'a bit more impartiality' fair on the consumer... particularly when the CRU actively encourages use of switcher services where all may still not be as clear as it should be?

Why does the CRU stand over a system where plans are so complicated that the consumer has to use a commercial service to help make an informed decision? As I said in my original post, I am only buying gas and electricity... not investing in stocks and shares.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads, take it private please....no debating....just bargain advice.

Warnings will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

They are legally required to give the CRU 30 days notice (it might be 28) but thats where the one months notice comes from. Why they have all gone with two months notice, I am not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I had a BGE rep around today. Told him I'd heard of several other BGE customers being offered 30-something % for renewals, he was adamant they weren't offering those discounts, that no energy company was currently offering more than 20% discount. He could still only offer me the 15% discount, same as online. It's so frustrating knowing that others are being offered higher discounts. He did offer us one free day of elec per week, either Sat or Sun 9am-5pm, up to 100kwh per month.

Advertisement