Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheeky neighbour or how would you handle this ???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You're a very angry individual.

About 8 replies here from you and all negative. Coolbeans me arse.

Very very angry individual. Talk a walk outside in the air lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Says he as he posts angrily. 😋

Friend, you're projecting. Again, no point to make? Says an awful lot. Get out, don't let the likes of me upset you as I so so clearly have 😘😘😘🤣🤣. Learn to master your emotions and calm down.

I'm so sorry for upsetting you with my thoughts. Must be very hard for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Lol delusions of grandeur.

Any way I am off for a shite now delighted that coolbeans is going to pay for the emptying of my septic tank. Sound!!!!

Nods and smiles.

Good luck to you on this fine day. 🙂

Anyway, I'm off, things to do. I'll happily debate ones offs and why it's bad for irish farming till the cows come home but no more here as it's way off topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Aggrieved? Not sure where I’ve demonstrated that? You refer to posters getting personal,You then described another posters reply as vacuous. It sound like you’re using words in an attempt to sound smart without actually knowing what they mean.

I think my analogy is quite relevant to the point I was making. I’d ask you to explain how it argues it badly but I think you’re a little out of your depth to be honest. The fact you’ve stopped using the reply function, I assume in an attempt to avoid alerting the poster you’re replying to demonstrates that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Most rural sites don't have public water or sewage, here in my corner of Kildare we had to drill a well, put in a sewage system and still pay KCC 12000. for development levies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You didn’t actually make a single point as to why one offs are bad for Irish farming from what I can see.You just commented on the ability of the farmers who are selling them.

Vacuous means empty, without substance. You gave an example of some lad who is not going to renew a lease. What's that got to do the price of spuds re selling sites? Bugger all. He's probably an excellent farmer but it's not paying so it's time to re-evaluate what he's doing. Should he be farming?

And yes, lister's response was vacuous because it just attacked me and made no reference to the point at hand. This is simple stuff.

I just made a mistake in the reply thingy. I'm all thumbs. Anyway, done here.

I did. It represents an enormous loss of good land when something like 40% of all new housing is one offs

• Advertisement

It's gas that that ye think I'm jealous. No room for differing points of view at all. I was brought up with the mindset that you cherish and expand the farm, not chip away at it by selling sites. How sustainable is that? But hey ho...

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Maybe, just maybe the farmer selling the site is a great farmer and doesn't need the site to make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I rented land to a neighbouring dairy farmer.

One field in question really suited him for his cows but my field gate access was awkward being off a regional road.

He asked me three times about "knocking a gap" into field. Gaps/gates bring trouble on boundaries in the long term.

The fence he interfered with is a boundary and it should be rectified as soon as possible.

One can be firm and pleasant at the same time. Putting up an electric fence to avoid dealing with the gate isn't the smart move.

The gate has to be closed up.

No mind games, no passive aggressive nonsense just get it sorted.

Put up the electric fence after and tell them it's for their benefit to protect the boundary fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Exactly.

Not a farmer, but my parents had issues with a field between our house and another, and a bad new neighbour who, from the time they bought the other house , let their big dangerous security dogs roam around at will, in to all the neighbour's gardens through the poorly fenced field . All the neighbours were elderly so they were afraid /too embarrassed to deal with it, didn't want to 'fall out' with this new neighbour, who was in fact looking back on it, a bit of a bully.

It wasn't until one of the very aggressive dogs went for a poor lady hanging out her washing that it was dealt with.. Not amicably.. And nobody was friendly with them for a long time afterwards if ever, so all the walking on eggshells to be neighbourly was just a waste of time.

It would have been better if it was dealt with head on, straightaway when the issue became apparent.

I can see why in a more remote location in the country that one would want to keep neighbours on side even if they are pvllovks.

However these people did not consider the OP when they built a fence, complete with a gate for access on to his private land. Nor are they behaving lawfully.

@lakill Farm I think your approach is balanced and fair and if you do what you say in your last post, no reasonable person could or should have any problem with it.

We never had a gate for access to the field next to us, but many a football, sliotar and tennis ball went in and was retrieved with a quick hopover the fence. And blackberries were gathered too.

Thats to be expected with children, and ignored, as long as your property is not damaged nor cattle /humans endangered..

But not a gate into your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Lots of people on here say you are jealous because you have a different point of view. I think this is because they do not agree with your point but can't stand over their own point

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know many many great people, the best people, only the best great people.

I once met a man he had two pints in his hand and he said....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

We are talking about the same thing, you are just trying to back track now. Your original comment that I replied to was about the cost to the tax payer of providing services to all of the one off houses you think should be banned.

I have taken the time to explain to you that there is no cost to the tax payer to service these sites as the site owner has to do all that for themselves and pay for it themselves. They get no assistance from the government for this so the cost to tax payer is zero. Unlike urban dwellers where the tax payer, including the tax payer in the rural one off site that has already paid for all of their own services, has to fund all of this.

Your comment about being foolish enough to buy a site without a good water supply is more uneducated gibberish. There is no water supply in the majority of one off sites, that’s why the site owner pays a well boring company to come and drill for water. They then pay a plumber to fit a pump to this well along with a treatment system for the water. They also pay an electrician to wire it all up. This cost is all paid for by the site owner, there is no government assistance for this so the cost to the tax payer is zero.

Do you really think the whole countryside is piped with a “good water supply” and it’s provided by the tax payer!? As I said originally, it’s better to do some research on these things before trying to talk about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Just to add to the above post, the water pump runs on electricity, and that has to be paid for every month too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭kerryjack

OK so they are some people that would pay 50k for a site and another 34k For water supply before a sod has been turned and you call me uneducated. If I was buying a site I would look up and see if there was ESB and good broadband and look down and see if there was a pipe in the ground that I could get a water connection on and I would look down the road and hope to see a school and maybe a shop and a football pitch and maybe a pub, all in walking distance does all this not make sense to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭chooseusername

You'll want a village or town then Jack, rural is not for you!

Edit ; 50k for a site? where in the country are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

Not just for water, that €34k also included septic tank with a raised bed treatment system and storm water removal from the site.

You don’t have to pay it before a sod is turned but it will have to all be done before you move into the house.

Apart from them few changes to your question the answer is yes, that is what people in rural sites pay for their services on top of the price of the site. No wired broadband available on the majority of rural sites either.

Not many for sale now but have seen a few for around 40, 45, is that low or high, sure like your talking probably 500k to build a one off house now days all in like the driveway alone to tar could be 30 grand.

From your first post where the tax paper is paying for the one offs?

to the above post?

full circle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Sites for 40k, 45k with water and sewage close to schools, shops, pubs, etc? Don't think so, Jack even in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'd imagine with the cost of building the demand for sites is through the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Situation specific. No one has the right to judge another man for selling a site. Who knows his reasons? And who else’s business is it anyway?

People are always very quick to tell another fella what he can and do with the land he owns, the money he has etc.

No i stand over my first statement selling sites for one off housing where there is no water or sewer connection should be banned that's my opinion and we are all intitled to our own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Any updates on the new gate

• Advertisement

But your initial point was banging one off house as you were giving out about tax payers having to pay for water and sewerage?

and in the same vein you want to ban people having private water wells and septic tanks ie they can only build were there are water and sewerage etc ? (Which means the tax paper actually picks up the bill).

You point is incredible poorly thought out from the outside looking in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement