Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Id love to ask the players a simple question

Play a system which gives you a good shot at euro qualification or play a 5 a side passing system in your own half with zero chance of qualification?

Nobody is advocating for long ball, giving the opponent 90 percent possession either. But we have to move the ball quicker. We cant have an L2 player as 1st choice left back either.

Kenny wont do either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The major difference between Kerr and Kenny was Kerr was not given enough time, Kenny was given too much time. I believe if Kerr was given as much chances as Kenny was given he would have been a success. Kerr's win ratio is still the best of any Irish manager in history.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

Roy Keane!

The Roy Keane who has said every Tom Dick and Harry was togging out for Ireland when he saw Trap's selection of English born players? The Keane who picked fights with English born players like Walters and Arter? The Keane who questioned how English born Mick McCarthy was manager of Ireland when he wasn't even Irish? The Keane who was assistant when English born players like Rice and Grealish bailed.

No thanks. I'd rather Kenny get 5 more years than go back to hoofball + bad results + fights in the camp.

So instead have an anemic boring team to watch, boring and predictable, no threat and with no fight/drive in them? Like Kenny's team. Easy to play against, not much threat and if you score against them they normally fold. Brilliant.

Also you are making the false equivalency that the choices are only two options? -

1) Hoofball - direct football done aimlessly and incorrectly

or

2) Kennyball - possession football for the sake of it in your own half which is no threat - done aimlessly and incorrectly

--

That is just not true. That is a media created narrative in order to pretend that what Kenny has done is be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Keane has a track record of creating a toxic environment wherever he goes. When things get tough, he falls out with people.

To be fair, of all the ardent Kenny opposers, you're the only one that's seriously hoping to get Keane as manager. Which is heartening at least.

Also, Brian Kerr's style was the epitome of hoofball done incorrectly. Read some match reports from the time to jog your memory, fans disliked him because he both played horrid football, and still failed to qualify with a very strong team.

• Advertisement

All the anti Roy Keane stuff is all based on nothing but gossip column narrative, if you were a pro footballer and say Roy Keane walked in you would think Jayus I better be switched on here. Get players tuned in.

I think if Kerr got to a tournament proper his way of approaching the game would have been perfect for it. But we will never know.

I saw there was chat of Steve Bruce getting the job, which made me laugh. I suppose the best you could say at least Brucie has Irish connections and is an experienced manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Hahahahah where will he move on to ? Derry city?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

If he does, it's a much, much higher level than many of the people criticising him have ever reached.

Playing or managing in the League of Ireland requires a hell of a lot of talent and knowledge.

Hahah man that's such a childish comment to criticism of him , oh but he's a better manager than you. Well eh yeah obviously. Harry Maguire is a better CB than me too. Stephen Kennys tenure has been an absolute disgrace. Usually when you have a shite CV as well you get feck all time , he inexplicably has gotten so much time. And MON was right , because he came from LOI. A weak league.

Ah stop now. Your original reply was disrespectful. I also didn't say "he's a better manager than you". Just pointing out that the guy operates at a very high level and deserves some respect whether or not you think he's good enough for the job (for the record, I don't think he's good enough for the job).

As for saying his tenure is "an absolute disgrace" - well that's just hyperbole. Sadly, some people don't seem to be able to discuss the situation rationally - it's just extreme statements that aren't based in any sort of reality.

• Advertisement

His results have been a disgrace. He also does not operate at a very high level. He's had one high level job and he's royally screwed that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,286 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why should he be respected ? He’s been an abject failure as Ireland boss. He’s had every manner of backing and support in order to succeed.

he’s disingenuously spoofed his way through every interview he’s given where results have been poor.

to get respect, you must first give respect and my view is that the manner in which he conducts himself is actually disrespectful towards Irish football fans.

look at this… absolute bollôcks. He can hardly form a sentence, he’s just spoofing, saying nothing, addressing nothing…

I’d respect him if he just quit.

They haven't. He's had a couple of shockers, he's had some good ones and he's had a bunch, which in isolation, have been pretty much what we'd expect.

The fella has won 5 league titles, 4 with Dundalk where he took them to the group stage of the second biggest tournament in Europe and did very well in that group. But he doesn't operate at a high level?

So let's get this straight.

The point we have now reached is saying Stephen Kenny is a much better manager than any poster on boards.ie will ever be?

Is that the point we have reached in his defence?

It used to be -

Kenny will be the future of Irish football - he will change style AND get results. We were told exciting players are there. The aim was to win the nations league - qualify for the Euros

Then it changed to to, it is not about winning games - the fans are behind him. Any slight positive was spun as 'turning a corner'. He blooded players (19?)

(But his was not as much as Steve Staunton's 24 players capped or even the players MON capped).

Then it changed to the FAI are to blame and the players are not there. There needs to be investment in infrastructure.

(That could be said for any Irish manager in the history of Irish soccer!)

Now we have another layer added on top of that in the defence of Kenny. He is a better manager than all the posters on boards.ie!

Is that where we are?

--

Now I have not checked the bookies odds - but the last time I have checked they have not included boards.ie posters as potential options.

Maybe that will change as other candidates rule themselves out ?🤣

He's never been particularly articulate or good in front of a camera. That's not disrespectful. He just naturally isn't a great public speaker. He hasn't spoofed through interviews, that's just nonsense. He's tried to focus on positives, too much so, but he wouldn't be the first manager to do that. Stephen Kenny has always conducted himself well as Irish manager.

I don't understand why people can't make the point that he isn't good enough to be in the job without belittling him. It's some sort of tabloid mindset.

He has not been an abject failure and there is no way he should just quit. I'm not saying this is his primary motivation but would you walk away from 550k a year?

A high level is not achieving isolated results. It’s being consistent, winning consistently, qualifying for tournaments consistently, playing well consistently.

League of Ireland isn’t a high level, correct 😉

No it's not. That's just the spin that you want to put on this. Let me be clear - I'm not defending him as the Irish manager. He should go because he's not up to it.

The post above was disrespectful to Kenny, The League of Ireland and Derry City. It was condescending in tone and content (notice the "Hahahahah" that preceded the jibe). Whatever your opinion of Kenny, he is a very knowledgeable football man. Sadly, a lot of people who want him out can't seem to acknowledge that and just want to belittle him at every opportunity.

So, let me be clear, my post wasn't an attempt to defend him as Irish manager or about his suitability for the job. It was simply a reminder that he deserves some respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,129 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think people are forgetting how incredibly lucky MON was to get fluke results against Germany, and Trap getting Estonia in the playoffs. Those teams were just so unbearable to watch.

I'd prefer to have Kenny in charge forever instead of reverting to 10 men behind the ball crap like MON and Trap had us doing.

But that's just my opinion I understand people who would rather go back to that kind of thing in order to qualify for the odd tournament.

He’s a spoofer, he’s judged in that regard by the content coming out of his mouth, listen to it, it’s absolutely absurd BS 😉

• Advertisement

Well, that'd mean that Jack Charlton aside, we've never had a manager operating at a high level. That'd mean that lads like John Giles, Eoin Hand, McCarthy, Trapattoni and O'Neill were not operating at a high level. If that's your view, you need to lower your expectations.

League of Ireland is a very good level. You don't get there without a lot of talent.

Most of the people that were fond of the Kerr, Trapp and MON eras think that the style of football is irrelevant. I think they forget how dour the atmosphere was in the Aviva was under them, unless we were playing a topped ranked side and actually sold tickets. They see no merit in actually playing well, or giving a good performance, only the scoreline at the end. Even if it is drawing with the likes of Albania, or drawing twice with Montenegro when the group was there for the taking. The style those managers chose to play drew massive criticism and heaped pressure on the teams because nobody liked watching it.

They also forget that struggling against lower ranked teams has been an issue with Irish football for over 20 years.

I think Kenny has been given a fair chance, but the replacement still needs to be more progressive than the the managers named above. Excitement from the fans is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Possession: Ireland 57% Denmark 43%

Passing accuracy: Ireland 79% Denmark 79%

Passes attempted: Ireland 518 Denmark 469

Passes completed: Ireland: 410 Denmark 371

Corners: Ireland 9 Denmark 3

Total attempts: Ireland 15 Denmark 3

Attempts on target: Ireland 3 Denmark 1

Attempts off target: Ireland 7 Denmark 0

Blocked: Ireland 5 Denmark 2

Bring back Mick!

Do you honestly think Kenny's team is exciting and playing good football?

The impression I get is the fans are only there because they are being sold a false narrative by the media etc. And no matter what Kenny does the crowd have this pretence of being excited. I think it is more desperation than anything else.

Then the next point is where is this exciting manager go to come from. a fella that is good craic at at parties?

Where are the alternatives? All this ideology stuff is just blather. True MON was lucky to beat Germany but he put himself in the position to be lucky. He made his own luck - Long caught the Germans on the counter an inspired substation when he thought it was the right time to do so. Game management!

Kenny puts him in the position to lose more often than not.

I got to be honest I find Kenny's 'style' not only really ineffective but boring more often than not.

Some of the games have been very exciting/entertaining. It just hasn't been consistent, which is the issue, and it's why Kenny is set to go.

Beating Scotland 3-0, and it should have been more, was a really exciting football performance. There was some lovely stuff v France too. And Portugal.

He definitely generated more energy with the fans than what was there previously. But again, you have to do it consistently. I hope the next guy doesn't revert to negative football, because that won't work either, and will irritate fans.

ONeill won how many titles in Scotland, a professional league, managed Celtic in Europe.

Trapp won Siere A titles and managed Italy, a professional league, one of the most decorated managers in the history of the game 😉

A professional, operating at the pinnacle of the sport on this planet…

Neither O’Neill or Trap, for Ireland, met the criteria you set. They didn’t qualify for tournaments consistently, their teams didn’t win consistently and their teams didn’t play well consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭athlone99

What utter utter drivel.

LOI players should only be picked if they are good enough. The standard of the LOI has dropped in the last 2 years as the best young (18+) players are being picked up by clubs in the UK and further afield.

Roy Keane should be opposed at all costs as he has proven he cant manage. Theres a reason Keane hasnt managed in what 10 plus years now, its because clubs wont go near him and he'd rather have the bantz on Sky than actually take a real job.

Would you rather not plan for long term success or should we qualify for a tournament where we can challenge Traps record of I think the joint worst Euros record? Open to correction on that.

I would rather try plan for better success. Kenny tried that, failed so we need another manager to build on the work he started.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Say what you want about Trap - he put some gold in the cabinet.

(runs away)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

People acting as if Will Smallbone is the answer to our problems in midfield obviously aren't watching Southampton's game tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement