Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

He never came across as well read from the little I ever saw or heard from him. It seemed more like a persona he wanted to have.

Contrast Graham Norton who always seems on top of whatever interview he has be it with authors, actors or directors.

He also manages to talk about something topical at the beginning of the show - usually to have a bit of fun out of it. And can respond if a guest alludes to something not strictly on the agenda.

Okay, his tv show is not live, but anyway I suppose the bottom line is there's no comparison. Graham Norton is extremely well paid for what he does, no doubt but at least he works at it, and comes across very professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,114 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

New Late Late Show sponsor...

Permanent TSB will be its sponsor for the 2023/24 and 2024/2025 seasons.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Can we please banish this myth that Tubridy is well read as all available evidence points to the contrary?

His personality is that of a jumpy, giddyish child with a small attention span - not exactly suited to reading.

An avid adult reader would not bang on about Anthony Horowitz as his favourite author the way Tubridy did. For those who don't know, Horowitz writes books for children and teenagers. My nephew likes and reads Horowtiz's works. He's 10.

For someone who claims to be a voracious reader, he can it seems only describe things as gorgeous, beautiful, intriguing, delicious, or bonkers - they're his go to phrases. If you listened to his radio show everything was described with one of the above bingo phrases; the highlight being the time he saw "a delicious fire". He even described a book as being delicious in his Instagram post on books a few weeks ago. Mind you there's probably a better chance of him eating it than reading it so maybe he was referring to that?

All he ever gave on the radio show when talking about books was the back cover synopsis, or a snippet from a critic's review. He never once convinced me when interviewing an author that he had actually read their work, it was all bland generic filler nonsense questions like "I really loved this book, tell me more about it", or "have you ever been to Dublin?" when really stuck.

The book thing was all part of the manufactured brand to make him appear more intelligent and intellectual than he is. If Tubs were British, he would be a "Tim, nice but dim" type. Slight exaggeration of course as he's not a "thicko", but he's nowhere near as well read or as intellectual as he tries to portray. All part of the crafted public persona; you can add the kindness act (and it was an act) to that too, as well as the "Toyman" bullsh*t.

It would be nice if we could never speak of this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

But how is this possible? Geraldine has left, and people are still advertising on the station and sponsoring shows? She told us it was all down to her…….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

That would do grand for Marty covering the winter racing events 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

100%

When you see clips from his tenure on the LLS, there's a definite trend starting in 2009 where he attempted to host a show similar to his predecessors by interviewing serious people on serious topics and doing a poor man's Jeremy Paxman act, and then finishing up with a show which had slowly devolved into the weekly misery slot, endless soft focus chitchats with RTE/NK Mgmt lovies and the regular "Up ya boy ya" specials, country music, Trad etc etc.

He always looked so out of his depth interviewing individuals like Gerry Adams and trying to hold him to some kind of account. He had such a black and white, rudimentary, child-like grasp of the real world and certainly couldn't relate to people who grew up on effectively a different planet to his D4 bubble.

I think he and the LLS team quickly learned that this bookish intellectual parlour act wasn't going to cut the mustard in any real sense so the show had to adapt to suit his very limited capabilites. Although I'm not a big fan of the all conquering ego that is Joe Brolly, he made some very revealing remarks on his podcast about the RTE fiasco. He recounted how in the run up to a LLS appearance, he was contacted by a researcher to get a list of topics he wanted to cover in his interview with Tubridy. Brolly being Brolly, he told the staffer he just wanted to raise awareness about X and then would like to have a free wheeling chat and a bit of craic, he didn't have a list of subjects. He was shocked when the staffer countered by saying Ryan couldn't work in this way and had to have a definite list of topics they were going to talk about. Brolly then went on say how for the entire interview, Tubridy was basically clued to the cuecards and didnt actually engage him in conversation in any meaningful way.

He really was the most unsuited person to hosting that show. Even if he and the RTE crew had made a genuine decision to attempt to move the LLS into a lighter entertainment vehicle, similar to US and UK fare, they really didn't understand their audience or what they wanted. For one thing, Ireland can't do replicas of Graham Norton, Jonathan Ross or Conan O Brien, simply because we don't get the quantity and quality of guests in the country. Plus, Irish viewers actually WANT the LLS to have robust debates in the style of years gone by. We have plenty of home grown talent to fill out the seats on the set. All that was needed was a host who was capable of refereeing it.

I think Kielty certainly has that capability and I'm looking forward to seeing how he gets on. Have a feeling he'll hit the ground running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭RoTelly

But you can have a bank a/c, filled with lots and lots of MONEY.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps that idea that Tubridy is a voracious reader is just RTE/NKM PR? I'm not sure how many books read per year would qualify someone as being bookish but Tubridy probably reads far fewer than the average book reviewer.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Never seen, until now, a TV host being memory-holed in the space of one article where he's even mentioned in the title. This one starts out mentioning Tubridy but ends with praising Gay Byrne. It is almost as if Tubridy has become a non-person.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/patrick-kielty-i-got-a-little-message-from-ryan-tubridy-wishing-me-good-luck/a1017599975.html

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭yagan

Regarding Montrose culture, it's not a conspiracy if everyone is acting in the same way.

I'm amazed it's taken this long for a trigger event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭Tow

The PTSB is basically the state (tax payer) sponsoring the LL.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I said before I’d give Kielty a 3 month chance to settle into the show but actually I’m now giving him the first year to do it- I actually think he’ll be super - not every show will be great, partly for the reasons you’ve pointed out, but I don’t think it will be Kieltys fault - the guests and the show format play a huge role too

It's a conspiracy, alright. And with the way that the licence fee renewals are falling, it would seem that the public considers that there are two words missing after 'conspiracy'.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The Late Late Show bags new sponsor ahead of the show's return tonight

Permanent TSB says it is partnering up with a “national institution”.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭prunudo

Makes sense, I didn't watch very often, but sometimes I'd tune in a particular guest who I knew would be interesting, without fail Ryan always killed the interview, making interesting people look dull.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The only time an interview worked (or gave the appearance of working) was if the interviewee took over.

Which brings me to a point that I know I have made before, as have others. It's a mark of a good interviewer when they make it look easy. He never did. It's why I gave up on him early on, on the LLS. I couldn't deal with the desk tapping, the nervous laughter and all the rest of it.

I heard a snippet of an interview he attempted on radio, some years ago with the mother of the conjoined twins from Cork, after their surgery.

Angie Benhaffaf. A really articulate lady with a fascinating story. Nope. Could not let her speak.

Beggars belief really how he ever got the job in the first place, yes, I know right time, right place and yet, he never improved an iota at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Widows Son

If all around you have convinced you that you are the best there is and you believe it yourself,then improvement is not possible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

We've gone from a car company and a doggy rte barter account...to a financial institution with how many accounts....😳

Maybe as part of the deal they are offering some financial advice to RTE, you know like a real barter deal 😃

The PTSB a failed bank the tax payer bailed out. Looks like the government is bailing out RTE with tax payer's money by the back door, so to speak.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

A search tells me the Irish Govt. owns over 57% of PTSB. The mind boggles. But then, advertising boggles me too - I mean, is there a person in the country that will open an account with PTSB because they saw them sponsoring the Late Late Show? Maybe there are. Sad.

Down from 99.2% in 2011, when bailed out by de State.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

You'd think Renault would have learned their lesson by now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Sigh. Again, do people actually buy a Renault because of the likes of Lucy Kennedy being a "brand ambassador"? My faith in humanity disappearing.

edit. He's giving her the keys and the car hasn't got a proper Reg plate yet. Sloppy!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Tubridy absolutely raging he's not around for this new sponsorship deal with PTSB!

Just think what he and Noel could have charged RT....................COUGH..........could have charged a BANK for a few corporate gigs over the next 3 years.

Luckily, he was never motivated by stacks of cash. It never affected his soul, we must remember.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Probably not really. He'd given up the LLS gig. Another poster said it was big of him to wish Kielty well in the new job, again that's normal enough.

He gave up the LLS. "Here's the baton..."

I wonder will the new host of the morning radio slot get the same courtesy. Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

If he can squeeze some attention out of it, definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Karppi

We never did get a really satisfactory, believable reason why he quit - especially at that moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement