Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree planting for new build privacy

Options
  • 13-09-2023 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a rough idea how much it might cost to have a few trees planted in a 70ish sq m garden to provide privacy cover from a house to the back and either side. We'd be happy to go for alternatives if tree planting is too costly and impacting on the site.

I know this is probably a piece of string ask but if anyone has similar recent experience i'd be interested to hear.

Beverly Hills, California

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

You could spend 50 euro (very small bear root trees) or 10k (mature trees) pick something you like the look of, check it doesn't grow two bitlf (unless your happy to prune even year or so) honestly there is a huge choice and price available. Are you looking for evergreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

70sq Mt is very small for trees. What length needs screening and to what height? Will you also be willing to block light?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Thanks both.

We're looking for something that will add a bit of privacy, or the feeling of privacy. It is a small garden so ideally nothing that grows too tall and I don't mind maintaining whatever we plant, i'd enjoy keeping it. Maybe trees are the wrong way to go?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how tall would they need to be to provide the privacy you're looking for? this might be a tall (sorry!) order.

my father has some acers of some kind in his back garden (about 10m x 10m) but they need a lot of maintenance to keep them in check; he has them clipped to maybe 4m or 5m tall.

I'd say we'd need them maintained at least 3 meters tall at the back. It's a semi-D with block boundry, so no fencing. I'd be happy with alternatives if they provide a sense of a closed in environment. We haven't moved in yet so don't have a proper sense of the oversight yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes, why trees? Look at the native Irish hedge plants/bushes, something like

They grow fast, look great when flowering, provide a dense screen and provide the space to live for small birds and other creatures.

Whatever you decide, please, do not plant Leylandii .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We need a lot more specific information before offering any useful suggestions. 70sq m in its simplest formation could be a square garden 7m x10m, or it could be an sort of shape possibly going to very narrow bits down the side of the house. Draw a rough diagram showing the shape of the garden, placement of the house and an indication of measurements, also which direction is north, and where the block wall is, then it might be possible to give some helpful suggestions.

I asked for the measure earlier without reply and, as you say, it's imperative to know.

I'd also question 3 Mt height for a small 70sq mt garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,050 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems this is a job for Nellie R Stevens

Dark ever green Holly, call Nellie Stevens , shape any way, and any height. Privacy all year round, and they never grow big thick branches, easy to trim

Shaped into a wall type structure

• Advertisement

Just don't plant leylandii trees whatever you do .

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!🤯🤯

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not exactly ideal for a garden which is probably 7x10m though; if the boundary they want to plant it along takes out 1m of the 7m, they'd lose 15% of their garden to it.

Hope this helps somewhat, someone asked for more detail. Appreciate the responses. Just to note, all houses around and the house in question are standard two story new builds.

That's a very small area. You can't plant trees to block 3 sides. Consider the impact on sunlight for your own and all the other gardens by raising any kind of 3mt barrier.

Well I was thinking more a 1m barrier above the wall height, maybe even less. I'm really just looking for a way to close it in a bit, make it feel more private at least even if not the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I would suggest planting a few hornbeam at the sides and back, just where you want to block a view.

Sit in the sunny spot where you want to sit out in privacy. Look where the windiws overlooking are and this is where you need to position a tree.

You don't need a full block out as this will impact on your space and light in the garden.

Hornbeam are light with small leaved branches that can be moulded around a shape or pergola, wired /pleached along a wall or fence and won't block out all the light.

https://images.app.goo.gl/qRdDj3QPt1Hgws8k8

Not evergreen but most people don't mind in winter as not sitting out as much.

I would recommend keeping anything big you put in cut back at least once a year or they will just become unmanageable.

Anything near the house it is especially important not to let get overgrown as the roots may damage foundations and block light from your windows.

Another nice one is birch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is that really a 2.2ft wall, or 2.2m? One sounds much too low and the other a bit too high, regs are 2m for back gardens.

As the others have said, you really only need a tree in each corner near the house and one in the far righthand corner. One of these will shade your garden so get something light and airy. You only need to deflect the view not screen completely. Birch has been mentioned and would be good, but I would not put birch so close to the house, it has rather exploring roots, and there are likely to be drains/sewers across the back of the house. A columnar cherry might work, one of the smaller rowan cultivars, or a crab apple.

If it really is a very low wall, put some fencing on it. If it is the higher walls then the overlooking is only from the bedroom windows, and really very very few people would bother staring out of their bedroom windows to watch you sitting in your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tiger20

+1 for the hornbeam, they are a narrow form tree in a ‘lollipop’ shape with no low branches and can be pruned to only branch out at the height of your wall, providing screening where needed. They can also be pleached to provide a hedge on stilts, and can be complimented by planting lower height shrubs between. Consider the Carpinus Betulus Lucas or Frans Fontaine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

You could also have a look at bamboo. There are quite a few that will grow to 4 mt plus (right type or use barriers in the ground to contain it) They can also be planted strategically to block views from neighbouring windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

My 2 cents worth. Have you bought the wrong house.? You cannot get privacy in a layout like that without growing massive hedges. That will kill your light and also you neighbours. The neighbours will grow to dislike you in proportion to the tree height:-)

Can you pull out of the sale and buy a house with actual privacy?

Bamboo is an awful weed that self seeds and will take over your garden and neighbours garden in time. It should be illegal to plant

Also, think how you would feel if all your neighbours planted big high hedges and blocked your gardens light, meaning you have no sunlight anywhere.

You have a house in an estate. You need to have mutual respect with your neighbours.

Very happy with the house, the advice being asked is just that. The tree planting was where my initial thoughts went out of ignorance and a few constructive posters here have steered me well away from that idea. That steer away has led me looking into privacy screens that seem to be bulit for this very situation so i'll look into them but under no illusion, I know i'm living in an estate and an overlook is something I'll work around.

Just be careful with privacy screens. They get scruffy looking unless they get painted every other year or so. If you grow something like clemitis roses jasmin it becomes impossible to paint.

Advertisement