Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2023 Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭MiniMonstera

Thanks for your comments.

I think I'll incorporate some stretches per @Kellygirl suggestion. Probably easier to master than weights at this point.

I think my form is ok, I don't run with clenched fists as I can't bear sweaty/hot hands. My hands are always open and flat, in a relaxed way. And I don't drive my arms excessively, even at pace, I just think the arm muscles aren't as honed and developed as the legs, so I feel fatigue and ache there first, during my runs. Good suggestion re checking form as the kms tick by, I'll start doing that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Welcome to the club 🤣

Nothing better that regailing someone with absolutely no interest of a gripping story of a 10 mile training run. The ups the downs the sight the sounds the effort the mental strength the soreness and sweat. What kit is good, the best runners, ideal running surfaces, hydration the list goes on.

You are one of us now 👍🏾😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I can't remember whether I filled in 3:50 or 3:59 when buying the entry but either way I've been assigned to wave 2. Happy enough with that; prefer to hang out at the back of a wave at the start instead of having to push up to the front and hopefully it'll help keep the pace in check 😝

At the physio again today for follow up (gonna hit my health insurance visit limit soon 🙃) and she's advising not to race the half (can still run it) if I'm still feeling strong tightness in various places. So we'll see how the download week goes. Skipped the MP aspect of the midweek run yesterday with a view towards the half and promoting recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Could you try some Pilates or yoga? It might help stretch out the upper body a bit. I just think at this stage it might be too late in the plan to add in weight training if you haven't been doing it already. If you are going to add in some weights, keep it light, bodyweight or tins of beans light.

How is your posture when you run? Do you carry a water bottle in your hand? How about your core?

• Advertisement

Yep!!

I am trying not to talk about the marathon with non-runners. But with my running friends it seems to be the main topic of conversation for me at the moment. I do have interesting things going on in my real life at the minute but when we hit the road or the track I seem to just have marathon on the brain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ged139

Hi all

Just a quick be question I go my ticket and it's for wave 3 but the rest of the group I'm training with got wave 4 even though we all put in the same times. It says I can drop down a wave but do I have to contact them to change waves or just go to wave 4 instead of 3 on the day of the race.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yep gonna do this👍🏼. Will book a one to one with local pilates instructor to agree a plan for next 6 weeks - pilates with a focus on core, upper body strength and arms. Will try and do a class or two a week and get a 15 minute daily at home routine going of some sort. I stretch for 3 mins after every tun, but that's just legs and toe touching.

I think my running posture is good but I've definitely got a weak core. I don't hold a bottle when running, free hands are one of my non negotiables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 MECA

On a kind of non running topic… any recommendations for a place to eat the evening before the marathon near to the grand canal/dock lands area (staying near there). Cheap and cheerful Pizza /pasta (me!) type place as have kiddos. Not ideal I know but no choice as not a Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

There is a milano's in the ifsc across the river. I think there is another pizza place there too, near the luas station

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I have eaten in Mario’s in Sandymount before marathons. I think that’s near enough to you. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

There's a Milano's at Grand Canal Dock. Might be worth booking a table wherever you decide on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Week 12

Boards Planned: Rest | 10k | WU1.5k - MP13k@MP – CD 1.5k | 5k | Rest | 26k |5k

Actual: 10k | Rest | 5k | WU1.5k - MP13k@MP – CD 1.5k |  Rest | 26k |5k

- How was week 12 for you?

Went quite well, I swapped a few days around to suit the week. It was my grand daughters 13th birthday on Wednesday so I chose to do the marathon pace run on the Thursday. The weather was also a good bit cooler so that helped.

The highlights of the week were the longer runs. I felt absolutely wrecked on the evening of the marathon pace run. We had a few IT issues at work all day and it was a bit draining on the head to fix and I thought of leaving it for another day. But my wife called to ask if I was doing the run as she wasn’t feeling too good and was going to go to bed if I was. I opted for the run that I didn’t feel like doing. At least I had a nice route planned from work to Rosses point and back.

I did 3 individual runs on the watch, I know there is a setting to programme it for the wu/mp run/cd but I couldn’t be asked to find and set it. The warm up was at a nice easy pace, the only thing against it was that it finished on a steep hill and wasn’t the best of starts for the pace run. I think I will aim for 4hrs 30 finish for the marathon but I am in wave 3 at the moment so was going to run the pace here @ 6:10km for a 4hr 20 finish. I got close to that time during the first 2k, until I started thinking about my stride and how I was running and realised I should have been leaning a bit forward. My stride got faster and was then pacing in the 5:40s for the remainder of the run. The only negative was that I bruised 2 toes and will probably lose the nails. I was wearing a pair of Nimbus 25s that are a size 11 ½ snug fit and should have been wearing the size 12 ones. I took one gel at the halfway stage.

Yesterdays LSR also went quite well and was 80% in zone 2. I had 2 mishaps on the run, one was an emergency stop due to runners gut and the other was that my audio book started repeating and skipping near the end.

- Write down your progress - where have you come from as a runner since starting this plan?

I am getting quite a bit better at learning to run slower. My easy runs and recovery runs are getting “easier” to manage and my watch is also agreeing with me. In the past I thought I was doing easy runs and my watch would say tempo or something else other than easy or recovery, so that is positive. My heart rate on my lsr’s used to be stuck rigidly in zone 3 at the end on my runs in the past. I was just about able to finish yesterdays run in zone 1, so I am very happy with that.

- What are the small/big changes that you need to make in the coming few weeks BEFORE the taper.

Just keep on concentrating on the plan and make sure I don’t jeopardise it.

- What are the things that you NEED to do in the coming 3-4 long runs to better prep for DCM?

The runners gut issue is a bit concerning to be honest and its getting more and more frequent on the long runs. I do try everything to prevent it before setting off. I will have to try Imodium I think. Its not so bad in the country where I live as there are a lot of trees. But it will be a problem in Dublin…

On a lighter note, I will stick to next weeks plan and run the half marathon distance at lsr pace on Thursday or Friday as my daughter is getting married on the Saturday and I think I need to be there 🤣🤣 . I almost got caught out twice already because there are 2 runs on that weekend and I was at the payment stage for one of them before realising….

WEEK 13

This week of course features the Dublin City Half Marathon for those of you doing it! The plans for the week are as follows:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|4m easy|6m easy|rest|rest|DC HM|cross

Boards|3m easy|4m easy w/5*strides|rest,cross or 3m rec|rest, cross or 3m rec|2m easy|DC HM|2m rec

If you are not racing the Dublin City Half Marathon

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|4m easy|6m easy|4m easy|rest|15m LSR|cross

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m with 5 x 100m strides|8m easy|4m easy |rest,cross or 3m rec|18m LSR|3m rec

We recommend all of you running the HM to use it as a DCM dress-rehearsal. Prepare for this race as if it is the marathon itself. This includes eating, drinking, and sleeping well all week. On Friday eat as you intend to the day before DCM, and similar with your breakfast Saturday morning. Lay out all your gear ready the night before. Wear the clothes and shoes you intend to use on the big day. And of course, enjoy the race!

How was week 12 for you?

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Very best of luck with the week ahead and the race if you are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Week 12

Planned: 8K | 8K | 8K | Rest | 13k @ MP | 21k | Cross

Actual: 8K | 8K | 8K | Rest | 13k @ MP | 21k | 45 min treadmill walk (only 3k apparently, but at a small incline)

58k for the week

Got everything done, just about with the cross training on Sunday

Yeah I think I did do the runs an appropriate pace, what feels easy for me definitely seems to be trending faster though and is reflected by my heart rate too.

I got really lucky with the timing of the step back week as life was busy this week!

I was up in the office this week which means less flexibility to when to start the run and also just being more tired in general with the commute and being sociable! I was absolutely useless at home this week, other than dropping the kids to school a few mornings on the way to work. Basically came home, did a bit with the kids and dinner, and went to bed!

My youngest came down with hand foot and mouth (not the animal one), apparently its rampant in the school at the moment, but not too much of a concern for adults. The the eldest also had a sore throat, which is how it started for the youngest, so we assumed the same, but ended up having to go to the out of hours doctor with her on Saturday and she has tonsillitis (and hfm) .

My Wife is now feeling under the weather too so I had 3 patients in the house on Sunday. I was doing the running and racing around town to get prescriptions and things my eldest daughter might actually eat. I ended up not going out for my walk Sunday morning so I could be around if anyone needed me and I just didn't get a chance to go for the rest of the day. Only after I got everyone to bed I was able to do it on the treadmill, which I'm not the biggest fan of, but its nice to have in scenarios like this! Definitely has reaffirmed my trying to run in the morning position, its so easy for life to get in the way otherwise!

I also was doing the midnight medicine dosing so not the greatest nights sleep, but thankfully since I'm working from home again and no school run, Im not under as much pressure in the mornings

Every little tickley feeling in my throat is a worry now :) I was able to do my run fine this morning though so I think for the moment I'm at least avoiding the worst of it

Hope everyone had a good week and best of luck to anyone running Dublin half! (and I think Athlone half is on this week too)

EDIT: also I apparently lied to you all last week, my long run on the plan and what I actually ran was 29k, not 30k. I hope you can all forgive me :P

Post edited by witnessmenow on

I'm not doing the HM on the weekend but I am doing the Donegal East 3/4 marathon Oct 1st. I signed up to it before I got Dublin and just wondering how I should approach it?

Hi T-bird, the recommendation is that you don't race it however you can do it and use it as a training run. The concern about racing it for you is that you have been building up since Longford and the best benefit for you are the endurance runs and getting those in. If you race the 3/4 then you will need recovery time afterwards which will impact you for the week or 2 just before taper time and that wouldn't be the best for your training.

So we'd recommend that you do it at steady pace. This is the pace in-between your planned marathon pace and easy pace. So say about 15/20 seconds per km slower than your planned marathon pace e.g. if pmp was 5.45 then 6/6.05 m/km. This should limit the amount of recovery you need and you can then keep to plan afterwards. Anything faster and you will really feel the fatigue. If you want to do it at easy pace and just have it as your LSR then that will work just as well.

Club Plan |Track|rest|Track|rest|30mins easy|21km

Actual |Track|rest|Track|rest|30mins easy|21.5km

Quite happy that I am sticking to the club plan - I've had a tendency to deviate from training plans, use them as a rough guide. But having it printed off, ticking off each run, that fact that it incorporates the club sessions and with the long run at the weekend there are others running so a lot of the [over]thinking is taken off my shoulders. The 2 tracks sessions were good, Monday's session was a bit quick. Easy 30mins on Fri - I woke up just after 6am and had planned to run before my 7am 30min live workout but it was so dark and dreary out I put it off. By the time I finished my workout it had brightened up a bit so scooted out the door for my 30mins run. My long run 21km I broke down into 2 runs - 10 miles (worked out at 16.5km) with the group and then over to parkrun for the last 5km. My pace seemed quick enough for these 2 runs - 10 miles at 6:20km av pace and my parkrun at 6:15km av pace. But they felt fine. I did leave it a little late to take my first gel.

Total run for the week 44.5 km plus 1 and a half workouts. I think one of my highest mileage weeks. enjoyable running this week, all runs done, even if the paces were a little fast.

I'm doing Athlone half marathon next weekend. I've 28km to do so I plan on doing 7km warm up before the race. A bit unsure what pace to run the half at - I'm thinking steady but working rather than "racing" it. My long run at the weekend just past was 2:17 for 21.5km and my pb (March23) is 2:07. I think I'll then use my half marathon time to see how that lines up for the marathon.

• Advertisement

@MisterJinx Thanks, there is an option to run a half marathon there if preferrable, I would need to let them know by Wednesday.

I think you said that you have raced a lot this year, so your priority should be getting in the distances in the plan and not taxing yourself too much. You are probably still in recovery from the marathon as well hence the focus on endurance training rather than racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Got all my planned runs in with a bit of juggling and dropped the MP pace from the midweek run as mentioned above.

Starting to feel that cumulative fatigue on the longer runs now. Few pain points but just niggley stuff as far as I can tell. Also quite tired now as a few others have mentioned; got a few naps in over the weekend and going to bed earlier.

I think I've finally gotten rid of whatever virus/bacteria I was carrying as my heart rate has come back down to where I'd expect it to be for the easy paces I've been running (obviously I'm hopefully getting fitter too 😝)

Gonna see how the short runs pan out this week to decide on a pace for the half marathon. I don't think I need to confirm my MP but it'd be nice to PB something on the road to the marathon considering I missed the Fingal 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Louis 2018

Got all the runs in as per Boards plan with the exception of yesterday (was away for most of the day so used it as rest day after 26km on Sat)

MP run on Weds was good, consistent pace for 3/4 of run and pushed on a little bit for the rest. Best I have felt in a long time during and after a run.

Dublin half on Saturday, I'm guessing the best strategy would be to run at MP and try pick it up later in the race and test yourself? If I was to chase a PB I'd be pushing a bit harder than MP from early on and not sure what benefit that will give in the long run?

Had a good week last week, max ever mileage again for me - 65km. Did all runs as planned and 2 rest days.

Cumulative fatigue setting in here too. I adored the mp session, just absolutely loved every second of it. Lsr was tough as I had an established cold by then and just found the weather particularly annoying when not feeling 100% (drizzled for the whole thing but too mild to wear rain jacket comfortably, so ended up getting quite wet over the 3 hours). I did a straight line route out to Sallins as I wasn't up for the hills this week. 4 Episodes of the "How To Fail" podcast got me through. Bloody love that show. Got a motivational boost from Sir Ranulf Fiennes episode (he's an explorer).

My last year's hm time is this year's goal mp time (6.20pkm) so I'm going to aim for a pb, nothing drastic though as I haven't much in the tank. Maybe 6 mins pkm... we'll see...

Hope everyone is doing well and ploughing through, ye'r all amazing! 💪🏽💪🏽💪🏽

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

How was week 12 for you?

Week 12 was good. 45k in the bag & the miles are starting to come together.Yes! Saturday’s long run was lovely in the overcast conditions. First 25k ever & the body seems ok.

- Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Yes.

Question : I’m due to do the HM on Saturday & have also signed up to the 3/4 Marathon in Longwood 2 weeks later. It will be the last long run & fits in more or less with the plan give or take a few k’s. I’ll use both races as training runs. All good to do this ?

Thank you

Yes to do them as training runs, not races! We want to keep those legs in good nic and ticking over to the big day, you getting all your planned runs in is more important than either of those as races so don't shoot out of the blocks!

Post edited by MisterJinx on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I think Longwood can be a useful day if you approach it sensibly. It's a good opportunity to do a proper dress rehearsal. But... you must be disciplined at it. Far too many people ruin their DCM by being silly at Longwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kevinfkennedy

@Lazare @MisterJinx Good advise .: thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭j2

I'm not doing the HM at the week, but I am going to run the 42.2 as my long run. It is time. 32k is too short to get ready for the marathon.

Advertisement