Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

There have been several Model 3’s with an asking price of below 30k for sale and sold, in recent months, even Long Range Model 3’s have begun recently at asking prices of 33k and less.

Mainly 19 reg models, and as they are coming up to ,or just over 4 years old, and new model 3 is supposed to be announced any time now, will likely drop in price further, i saw a high mileage 3, for 25 k on done deal about a week or so ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

That is still pricey. It doesn’t look like it still has its full warranty remaining. One went for ~27k near there a few weeks ago still with full warranty. There have been a few going for under 25k. There is one still up there for the last month with an asking price of 23.5k. Granted, it has 150km on the clock, but the seller seems honest the description (he gives the battery lifespan at 91%, most don’t give it).

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35032511

Another person got an AWD for 24k at auction a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

Ah, ok, I'm a little out of touch then.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

The prices are changing so fast now its hard for anyone to keep up! 😁

The 150km 192 Model 3 that was advertised for 23450 just sold.

Post edited by McHardcore on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I’d go as far as to say that if you are looking for a 2019 or 2020 M3 and pay over €30k, you’ve probably paid too much.

any ad I have saved that’s over €30k seem to take ages to shift (or the agreed price was lower than list, of course).

meanwhile the sub €30k ones are shifting pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's just over 5l / 100km for your diesel? That's extremely frugal. An equally frugal EV would use about 14kWh / 100km, I just signed up with Pinergy, night rate of 5c / kWh incl VAT plus €100 welcome bonus. So if you did that, your EV would cost €600 for the 100k km, not €2500

9.5c per km for diesel

0.6c per km for EV

I'd say he didn't get an awful lot more than €20k for it. Buyer's market out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

The silver one is a base model and being sold by a non franchise trader. I’ve never heard of them and hence can’t comment on their reputation but it was likely sourced as an unwanted trade in. The other one is a much better spec executive model and Monaghans would have a good name and are main dealers for Skoda. It was likely traded in for a new Skoda. I’d suggest that both have quite high kms and will be out of battery warranty with VW at 160K kms. Personally I’d pay a bit more for one with smaller kms to have battery warranty until it’s 8 years old.

e-Golf triplets coming up for auction in Wilsons. Paintwork probably decent once the wrap comes off and small kms on them.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35114151

Volkswagen Golf Comfortline E1f 136bhp 5dr Auto E

• Advertisement

I'd say you'd get one for about €10-11k plus auction fee. Could be a good buy at that.

• The prices you usually claim that cars can be bought for are typically off the wall, dream land stuff to think these will only go for €10 to €11k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭User1998

In my experience auctions are almost always more expensive than buying privately. Dealers pay for the convenience of buying online and having the cars delivered to their door.

Buying privately and having to drive all over the country to view cars is very time consuming but after negotiating hard it will almost always be less expensive.

If your type of person who pays close to asking price then this won’t apply to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

do you need to deposit 1k to bid at wilsons online auctions? am i understanding registration correctly? Are the cars usually available to "kick the tyres" or how do you know you are not getting totally shafted?

😎

I'm almost always on the ball, although admittedly auctions are very hard to predict.

Forum regular bought a 2020 Model 3 LR AWD several months ago for €25k plus fees at auction and back then the prices of these cars were at least €3k more than they are now. This was at the very time that people like you were mistakenly claiming that you couldn't find a 2019 high mile Model 3 SR+ for under €30k, they go for the like of €21-22k now. If you read this thread religously and spent some time on DoneDeal every day, like I do, you would know this. And in case it wasn't 100% clear, I am talking about auction and private sale actually achieved prices. Not sticker prices at dealers.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

what price is a garage offering for a tesla M3 2019 average miles? I need to do better than whatever that is :-D

😎

Tesla would offer about €12-16k trade in value on one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Jaysus thats low. I wonder what the non franchised dealers are picking them up for. Looks like there could be a decent margin for these guys. Time to push harder I think

Tesla don't want trade-ins, not even other Teslas. They offered me €23k for my car while they had a near identical car (same year, model, colour, less spec but very low miles) for sale themselves for €59k 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

A non franchised dealer I was talking to recently said he was picking up ex lease M3s. Given the lack of interest from Tesla he is probably picking them up for a decent price

• Advertisement

The non tesla dealers are asking for a fortune. I have no idea who is buying cars off them.

For an extra few K more people can go, get a referral code, and buy a brand new one, or stock with 1500e off, full warranty, 0km, and no other owners.

If I do not pick up an M3 deal privately I will have no bones about switching strategy for a new one - but under no circumstances can I see a scenario for me where these dealers are getting nearly 40k for a used tesla.

I will also be surprised given current inventory if we dont see 1000-1500 euros more off on tesla.ie over the next 14 days.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I must say I don’t have the success negotiating 1000s off the advertised price that some others here seem to have. I seem to be able to get a few hundred, even offering to pay for and take away the car that day.

Maybe I need more training. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

I see both the 17 Ioniq, and 18 Leaf are back up on wilson auctions for Tuesday

Wonder why they didn't sell last week; would there have been a reserve?

Ioniq looks good but no idea what battery it has, Leaf looks rough inside, and going by pics has about 200km range.

Likely didn’t make their reserve, I think those e-Golfs might make close to €15K. Small kms on them and lots of battery warranty left.

Pretty mad money for one imho. Nice cars but there's over a grand in auction fees on top of that and the general warranty is up, so zero come back, you can't even test drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

Not sure on deposit but I expect deposit is needed.

In terms of shafted, yes you can be shafted easily. No come back usually, no warranty from auctioneer. You cannot test drive car. You cannot even see car moving often. For an ICE if you are in right place at right time you might hear them start the car (often jump starting it as 12v is dead) and see them put tyre shine on bald tyres to make them look new. You cannot even sit inside the car and press buttons, check for visual damage to inside, or check for spare wheel etc.

As mentioned often prices are higher than private. You need to be very savvy, factor in fees, having to collect or get delivered, having to have cash ready on the day to pay full price.

The real key to a deal is setting a maximum price yourself before the auction starts so you don't get excited or end up in a bidding war. You may not know there is a hidden reserve minimum meaning a good deal is not even possible.

I went in person to an auction and had my maximum bid decided in advance on 3 or 4 cars on the day (intending to buy one), and none sold for a reasonable price when you factor in the risk. Some people deliberately auction cars with dodgy engines as they know you can't really test drive then.

That said if you live locally and there is little interest in the car you may nab a bargain but buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭krazymuthafuka

Mod Note: <<snip>>

Tesla are selling cars

Post edited by liamog on

A LR Model 3 brand new for €46k, that's decent value. But personally I'd wait for a 241 Highland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

The forum regular confirms!

Got a high mileage 2020 M3 LR AWD for 27k (25.5k + auction fees) at an auction back in June. Had a bit of suspension work done thereafter which was expected in case of a high mileage car.

I wouldn't pay for the same car more than 25k now. Also, one needs to factor in the risk that comes with buying at an auction. Unless you can check the motor, the charging (AC and DC) and especially battery health on site beforehand.

There were few medium-high mileage 192/201 M3 SR on DoneDeal asking 30k that were not shifting. I had a few prospects where I could push it to 28-29k but the auction was a better deal in the end. It was between almost expired warranty on SR vs almost expired warranty on LR for pretty much the same price (of course the auction was a risk).

A fair price for a medium mileage 192/201 SR with some warranty left is like 27k now, higher mileage 23-25k. Anyone selling for 30k is up for a long wait to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

I see it now!

How is it possible that it's just €46,611 vs the standard €49,990?

Also both HP and PCP show 0% APR 😎

Advertisement