Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

A sudden epiphany. A moment of clarity where Ryan took stock and thought "Do I really need this 500k a year plus all these secret top up payments I don't have to do anything for? Maybe I should jack all this in and ease into very early retirement doing an easy breezy music show for 350k pa"

Something like that I'd say. In fact, I'm sure that's what it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Isn't that the same one that Lotto Lottie had to hand back??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

One would think that programme presenters who are on radio/TV day in day out would have their heads buried in all kinds of books/reports/documents just to keep up to date in current affairs , have background information on people that they have on their show. Reading, IMO , would be a key element of their job. Not the case, apparently, for Mr Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Lottie’s was a Toyota. One wonders what she did not to get a car from Renault, it seems they give them to everyone involved in radio or television these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Any news on Ryan getting a new gig somewhere else or are they all still fighting over him? 😆

• Advertisement

No, it’s just a coincidence he resigned on the very same weekend (St. Patrick’s Weekend) that the Minister was informed of “irregularities” regarding payments to him from a job he claimed he was going to stay in for years to come in multiple occasions and as recently as February this year (the previous month).

As I’ve pointed out numerous times if the Minister was informed on a Bank Holiday weekend this information that the secret accounts and monies paid via same had been discovered at least a few days BEFORE same.

We know Forbes was questioned on this BEFORE St. Patrick’s Weekend so she knew the game was up. But we also know that she, nor anybody else who was aware of the accounts and payments, did not tell Noel Kelly about this. We know this because Noel Kelly said the first he found out about all of this was when the Independent broke the story in June. Dee Forbes nor Geraldine O’Leary absolutely did not ring him or text him or email him or contact him in any way and tell him they and their scheme had been found out.

It’s entirely credible when it’s laid out in front of you like that……🙄

My response to the above version of events would be akin to this:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

You forgot one thing - when asked at the PAC, Ryan couldn't produce any written evidence that showed he was considering leaving the Late Late before the payment irregularities were uncovered. No emails, texts, or WhatsApp messages.

So Ryan never communicated to anybody in writing that he was considering quitting the LLS (before the date the payments were uncovered). Not his friends, family, or even his agent. Which we all know to be perfectly normal behaviour.

If I've learned anything in my life, it's not to believe someone unless they bring receipts. And Ryan had zero paper trail, but expected us to take him at his word, despite the fact that he now has a very public history of dishonestly (having previously unwaveringly lied about his pay cuts).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Judge Anthony Halpin now taking Draconian approach to non shows for non payment of tv licence at his district Court 35 arrest warrants were issued on Friday alone , Judge Anthony Halpin added that he wanted Garda Commissioner Drew Harris to prioritise the warrants issued for those who deliberately evade their cases.

“So if An Garda Síochána turns up at your door and arrests you and brings you to the earliest possible sitting of the District Court, you have only yourself to blame,” Judge Halpin said

Telling the Garda commissioner to prioritise the warrants issued to those who don't turn up ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

He’s busy going through all the offers I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Way to turn the public against RTE even more - arrest people and throw them in a cell for protesting against a corrupt organisation who has no moral compass

• Advertisement

I think he's body language was a give away. He seemed to know what was coming. 50 is a relatively young age to walk away from a good pay he was well settled into.

If he finds something that suits him, good luck to him. Perspective needs to be maintained. Tubridy is many things but he hasn't raped, murdered, abused children etc.

Sean Quinn is a far more evil man and probably got less flak.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,484 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Tubridy is actually more Alan Partridge than Alan Partridge. Alan actually has occasional self-awareness whereas Tubs seems to have none (he's like Harry Maguire too, just totally delusional about his abilities). Check out Open Books with Alan Partridge, where pseudo-bibliophile Alan talks about his love affair with literature while trying to hawk his autobiography, even dressing in a "literary" manner. "I adore to read."

Also Johnny Carson's putdown of Chevy Chase's attempted chat show springs to mind for Tubs: " he couldn't improvise a fart!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

I wonder who he is connected to in the rte palace.

He seems to be very concerned.

It's just one big club .

When crime is committed, financial or of a more serious nature we all like to see justice done and punishment fitting the crime administered. There comes a time when reasonable people move on. Which is what's happening in society. A lot of us would make the extra grab for cash Tubridy did. Does it give anonymous posters a licence to abuse some one in perpetuity? It doesn't dude.

Surprised to see you back after the horrific abuse you received last night…. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Reasonable people... thinking people need licence to express an opinion on Tubridy walking away with 150000 of what are effectively public funds?

Strange.

An obvious and entiely prejudicial attempt to delegitimise those with a contrary view to your own.

Nobody is forcing you to read this thread if you find it so unreasonable to have to hear negative opinions expressed about Tubridys money grabbing.

Boards is an anonymous site. If it wasnt would it be ok then?

Your post makes no sense.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• I’m enjoying it already LLS 🤣🤣🤣 He’s taking the p1ss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

more humour in the first 2 minutes than in the lifetime of Tubs

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Same $hite different set tho. Instead of the host getting all the money they should pay for interesting guests..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So the Garda commissioner has time on his hands to ensure warrants are issued for licence fee non payers.

Bless the man. Time on his hands?

Won't be watching LLS. No rte on our telly. And won't watch it elsewhere no matter whose running the show.

I'm actually ashamed of rte. They've let down the tax payer/licence payer/ their country.

Their greed and sense of entitlement and belief in their own bloody importance makes my stomach turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Just turned over from rugby after seeing in thread it's actually back on....said I'll give it a few mins as not watched in years

Last ad before the return to the show is for TV licence!

Talk about trolling 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,565 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Sean Quinn brought a lot of jobs and money to an area that had very little. Sure, he made millions, but plenty of others had prosperity while it lasted.

Ryan brought nothing but misery to the nation while he made millions. He had no positive impact on those around him, everything was self serving.

If I had to pick the least worst horse in this particular donkey derby, I'm not sure it'd be Ryan. Both represent something rotten with institutions in this country and both institutions will cost the tax payers billions to clean up after them.

Tubridy doesn't have blood on his hands. Quinn??

Quinn created jobs because they made him more successful and made him money. They were a by product, not something he did out of the goodness of his heart.

Ridiculous comparing Quinn with Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,565 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

To show that one shouldn't be treated like the other. And is in some quarters.

Has Quinn been dropped from a radio show?

Had Tubridy had to sell his insurance company for dodgy dealings?

Evidence of them being treated the same = zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

This seems very different to the Tubridy rubbish. Some of the jokes were brilliant. :)

Who was the last host of the LLS? I think that people may have forgotten already.

Regards...jmcc

The way Tubridy is hounded here 100%. Everything from how many books he reads!

• Advertisement

Who was hounding Quinn about what books he reads???

So we shouldnt compare Tubridy to Quinn and it would be wrong to do do... except when you do... and you are the only one doing so.

Have you figured out yet it is your own posts you are rebuking?

You cant keep your story straight.

Evidence to support any of your claims still stands at zero.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement