Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No death, cancer, promotions, mild child has a problem, don't ye think Dublin is a great place and did ye try the Guinness, and all that kinda shite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Nathan carter should be top spot on the ban list.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

It all seemed a bit Kelly Show/Ulster Television circa 1989 due to the strong Northern element. I half expected Julian Simmons to come on during the ad break with a flash asking all keyholders in Newry to check their premises immediately due to a realistic terrorist threat.

• Ahh come on now, you can’t judge a show based on the boards tv sub forum, I think it was 2001 the last time there was a positive vibe about any show. The usuals on here sit down and watch something they claim to hate every Friday night so that they can have a moan about to their internet friends and in the process shout down anyone who has anything positive to say.

I’m not sure they know what a remote control is, otherwise they would simply use it to change the channel

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Westernview

They won't change the channel as a lot of them love to have a moan.

Id agree with that list. It's an insult to the viewer. There must be plenty of successful/interesting irish people at home and abroad to mix with a few international guests.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

This isn’t just about the poppy. McClean has a history of disrespecting Britain. There’s the issue with the poppy, there is the fact he’s turned his back on their anthem and there is a social media post where he seemed to make light of terrorism to his kids. All of that points to a man with a huge problem with the country where he earns his living and raises his kids. I’m not judging McClean for that but it does seem like a position that is difficult to reconcile.

Do you think he’d get away with that in the US? One of their own, Colin Kaepernick, was blackballed by the NFL for doing just one of those (“disrespecting” the anthem). Imagine every year he refused to respect the 9/11 anniversary. Imagine he then made light of 9/11 in a social media post. Imagine he was foreign. What do you think would happen him?

Imagine it was a British rugby player in Ireland. Turning his back on the Amhran na Bhfiann. Habitually refused to commemorate something like Bloody Sunday. Made fun of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings on social media. There would certainly be calls of “if you don’t like it here, **** off.”

I’m not judging McClean because I’ve not walked a day in his shoes and he’s experienced things I haven’t. But it’s legitimate to ask “if you don’t like England or don’t respect them and their traditions, why do you live there and earn your living there when you could easily do it somewhere else?” Even if it’s a “stupid question”, it gives him a chance to answer it because it always gets levelled at him. However, I wouldn’t be too hard on PK for not asking on his first night hosting the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,672 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The McClean nonsense about Britain is so fooking tiring.

Chap has been seeking attention from it years now. James, nobody gives a fook. It’s 2023, mate.

Ireland and England are far more connected and “together” than ever. Embrace it..

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I also thought it was a good show.

I think Mary McAleese was a great guest and it is a pity she had to share the stage with Hector Tommy and Laurita.

McAleese is great entertainment-I recently listened to a podcast she did with Alistair Campbell and she told many funny stories and also very sad stories.

One thing I was amazed at was Kieltys ability to let the conversation flow - when the guest was speaking there were no interruptions and he listened.

i think he really showed how much of an entertainer he is when he joined the lady in the audience.

james McClean was an interesting guest - he came across as a humble kind of guy.

the 2 johnnies are for me 2 country lads that seem very genuine but I can understand they are not everyone’s cup of tea. I imagine they still eat their dinner in the middle of the day.

Tommy Laurita and Hector - hector was very subdued.

tommy was good crack and very witty.

Laurita always on about her family connection to the US President and also bigging up her hubby - another Joe.

all in all - a good start for Paddy - he is very likeable and I think once he gets into the flow it will be a very good show.

do I miss Tubridy?

definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

In fairness hard to see who the target audience is for TLLS- even if PK is better than Tubridy, which he is already, so much has changed over the 61 years since TLLS started including:

1. Technology
    2. Hollywood greats of the 20th century are all dead
    3. issues of the day can and are discussed ad naueum in multiple different medium

Not just TLLS, there’s probably many shows that are just shadows of their former glory- Kielty is grand, many times better than tubs, but what’s left for him to do and who exactly will watch it each week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"What in f**k are you on about?"

Good to see that the Late Late Thread is still a forum for reasoned, respectful debate.

And kudos to those commenting on the size of a woman's breasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,318 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Didn't watch the last 10mins or so, but overall, very flat. Liked the sticking it to Duffy at the start, and while he was initially very nervous, he gradually got somewhat more natural with the RTE reference jokes helping. The touchy-feely questioning with some of the guests right beside him though was awkward.

Guests were absolutely shocking though and was barely above that whiff of the whomever was down the canteen that afternoon. Bringing out the horrendous Tiernan put him on a losing path straight away. Less said about the "music" the better. But these two issues have been a problem for the LLS for donkeys and unlikely to change anytime soon - fully expect a repeat from at least one of those on last night this season. It's little more than background noise on a Friday night nowadays when you can even be bothered at the best of times.

Less death, but still a couple reminders thankfully not expanded upon - that said, on one occasion with McAleese, he demonstrated he knew when not to say anything and just gestured to her as she summed up her spot - that was probably the most natural host moment on the LLS in years. Then ruined it by not stopping those other two clowns, whoever they are, from jabbering like monkeys.

What I will say is he won't get by on RTE scandal, Oireachtas, barter comments every week, so enjoy them while you got them last night. Lot of room for improvement. The show is as much an issue as the presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Here is the RTE review below

I thought it was ok.

He tends to shout and speaks in a very sing song voice

Let down by a pretty poor guest list.

Music act was poor

He dragged out the pub link to death.

They could have done the prize on the first show.

I would have done 5 x €10k live on the show.

would have been edge of seat ringing people

RTE news : Review: Kielty's Late Late is already on a roll

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Poor McLean, gets his big chance on the LLS and gets a Brit host 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

A number of posts saying the show was a bit “flat”- I won’t disagree but I think the purpose of last night was introducing Kielty- the “show” was secondary in some respects.

BUT- BAU returns next week and that’s where the challenges will be including:

1. A lot of “curious” viewers won’t be back next week
    2. Good guests- not Kieltys fault, there’s been a shortage of quality guests, especially A listers, since the “greats” of 20th Century Hollywood died off towards the end of the last century and the legendary rock m rollers not long after that
    3. Way too many other options to watch no less do, these days - captive audiences on a Friday or Saturday are a thing of the past unless it’s snowing or Christmas Day

Ill probably record the series and speed watch anything that looks vaguely interesting or has been reported as controversial in the Saturday papers but other than that, I really couldn’t care less about it - it was a dead template by the time Tubridy got it, he rode it into the ground so I pity Kielty taking it over now when it’s decades past its sell by date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

That was generally a function of how bad the show was rather than the quality of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭StevenToast

RTE news : Review: Kielty's Late Late is already on a roll

It is blatantly obvious from the RTE review that Tubridy was not liked among the staffers.....

Alan Corr getting plenty of digs in....

He must be a bad egg!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

So, basically what they've done is, convert the old Saturday Night Show (O'Connor, D'Arcy. Tubridy of old) and made it into the Late Late Show.

I'm not saying thats a bad thing, its a creative decision and RTÉ are both desperate and broke.

For a first launch of a very,very important revamped show, the guest list was absolutely pathetic. Complete dogshit.

It needed at least one A-lister, of which we have so many in this Country now. You know who they all are, but I'd have settled for Jamie Dornan another Co. Down man.

I was thinking Sharon Horgan, Jimmy Nesbitt, Katie Taylor, Rachael Blackmore, Shane Lowry, Roisin Murphy, anyone of substance you care to think of.

Our Women's team are only back from the World Cup and they've had no media profile. Instead of that no-mark journeyman McClean, it should have been McCabe or O'Sullivan or Brosnan. Couldn't Vera Pauw have told her side? What a coup that would be but no.....

And the "music" act? Jesus wept on the cross, my dog has vomited up better.

So much musical talent out there and we got THAT. Dermot Kennedy, Soda Blonde, Annie Mac, Inhaler; all contemporary, all talented, all impressive. The Mary Wallopers would've been perfect for the tone.

Kielty himself was fine. Grand like. He sorta became part of the set. Maybe thats what was wanted. I'd have thought his cheeky chappy act might have faded a bit now that he's 52, but obviously not. We'll see how it goes....

Out of 5 Stars, 2.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They have to ditch bringing out Irish sports team cringe. That's binned.

It's not good television.

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

i didn’t watch it but I see the concept hasn’t changed in RTE

Rte host Patrick Kielty interviews Rte host Tommy Tiernan, Rte host Hector O hEochagain and Rte hosts the two Johnnies.

and that’s what justifies RTEs existence.

Everyone gets paid in RTE by passing the cash To each department within the organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

He said "Roll it there Michael" - as in "Roll it there Roisín/Colette" (Roisin or Colette weren't the voiceovers - they rolled the tape to play the clip.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,612 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Some thoughts on the first 1 hour or so of the show I saw.

Overall a solid start from PK - as we expected he is a real pro and a different league completely to RT - who’s been shown up to be an inept, incompetent, useless presenter.

I hope RTÉ never inflict Tubridy on an audience again.

I enjoyed the stand up comedy section at the beginning.

Brave but right move from PK to take the p1ss out of the absolute sh1t storm RTÉ and RT are responsible for.

He could have taken an “easier” option and ignored the elephant in the room but didn’t.

Positive signs for how he will go forward with the show.

Not mad on the set. Don’t like that graphic “window” effect behind them.

Also, the desk and guests chairs seem to be on top of each other.

The biggest downside last night were the awful guests - who needs to hear McAleese lecture us??

as others have said it was a “round up the usual RTÉ canteen crowd” effort.

Maybe this is due to ahem - current budget constraints ?

I did not like that blewitt one trying to start a “bring back joe” chant. Aka her husband.

Brolly should not be brought back - a useless attention seeking GAA Dunphy wannabe.

the crowd didn’t join in the chant which was nice to see.

But still, left an unpleasant taste that she tried that.

Overall - promising start from PK

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Photobox

Kielty is a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I was never a fan of Kielty’s stand up (I suspect I would like him personally, incidentally. He comes across a “good egg”) but I thought he did a good job last night.

I particularly enjoyed the end of his monologue when he alluded to his North of Irelandness, and reminded the partitionists of the Free State that they are as Irish as everyone else, should they choose so.

He hasn’t quite reached the heights as his predecessor but it’s early days still.

I haven’t read through this whole thread but it’s disheartening to see almost every post using Kielty’s debut to have a go as Kielty’s predecessor. A man who has spent years in public service, entertaining the nation for decades.

Kielty’s predecessor has, through no fault of his own, suffered the end of his career and public ignominy.

You would think that people would leave well enough alone but obviously the vultures of boards.ie still need to pick a few morsels of sinew and offal from the carcass of Kielty’s predecessor’s reputation. Shame on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Very disappointed with the guest list. I am a fan of Tommy Tiernan and Hector. But Lourita Blewitt winging on the back of being a cousin of sleepy Joe. I gave up listening to their podcast as she has nothing to offer regarding having the crack. If anything she takes away from the Podcast. Not a fan of the Two Johnnies even thought they come from the same county as me but fair play ro them. James Mc Clean's interview was heart rendering and I have to say Patrick came across quiet sympathetic and proved as well as been light hearted he is well capable of holding his own when it comes to the serious stuff. overall a confident performance but will need to move away from the same old same old regarding his guest list.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Westernview

It is hard to know who the audience is yes. Does RTE even know I wonder? The show traditionally tackled serious issues with panels and mixed it with music and more humorous guests. I'm still on board with that concept.

But TLLS in more recent times seems to be trying to target younger viewers as well. But is having valentines specials and the like really worth it if they drift away from it again the following week? Better to have younger stuff on the RTE player and youtube in my view. Otherwise it's trying to be all things to all people but pleasing no one ultimately.

I've drifted from tv to podcasts a lot mainly because they give a full 30 to 60 minutes to a topic and cover it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I listened to Newstalk this morning. Good, lighthearted disagreement on the new era. One of the guests was adamant that it was losing its soul, while the other expressed the view common here that people just want some entertainment on a Friday night, without the dollop of misery.

I side with the second view but it did get me thinking that if the LLS does become an entertainment-only affair something will be lost. The image of the Late Late as the ‘forum of the nation’ is probably sustained more by storied-reputation than reality, but there is definitely an extent to which it remains true, and so long as we believe it, it’s sort of self-fulfilling. It would be a shame to throw off those robes because it’s thought incompatible with entertainment, and I don’t see what else would take on the mantle - it would just be lost from Irish society

In particular, I’m thinking about the occasional panel discussions over the years, often with audience involvement, which to me were some of the most fulfilling and unifying moments in Irish media culture. When, say, a referendum on Irish unity is being held, I would hope that the new formula still has room for those fractious but sincere representations of the national mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

yes, Its a wonder that penny didn't drop during Tubridys time that announcing the guests beforehand was silly especially when you had such a limited choice of guests anyway, that only works with Norton where they have A listers every week.

I wonder will he resist the z list influencers like Vogue Williams and Stephanie preissner that Tubridy had all the time.

The audience was a bit younger than Tubridys probably because they needed to be able to tell a story but that seemed to have filtered out all the token diversity you used to see during Tubridys time

The northern ireland element was refreshing especially showing the packed pub in Dundrum promoting togetherness rather than seperaetness

• Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭squonk

I think PK is very capable of doing that panel discussion and week able to bring the audience in and wind them back off needs be as well. The trouble is that when TLLS was in its heyday RTE were broadcasting 4-12pm most days. There was led scope for political content so the LLS definitely helped in that regard, plus acting as a medium due making the man/woman on the street have his/her say. Couple that with a more powerful Catholic Church and we really were quite a constructed country so there were definite barriers that had to be broken down. Now there are so many ways for the average person to express themselves with social media. I grew up in the 80s and the place is unrecognisable now and changed got the better for the most part. There’s probably no though with taking in issues head on every few weeks like housing or unification or whatever is the burning issue of the time.

I gave up at the two Johnnie’s but I liked what I saw till then Ge was right to lean into the RT/RTE stuff. Own it, kick it around and then leave it behind. I think this first show might have been people he handpicked just to get him out of the blocks. A kind of soft launch of sorts. Later in sure he’ll get into a routine with different guests. There really should be a moratorium on n appearing again in a season if you’ve already been on. Unless you’ve done something that actually merits you getting on again, and not just a new book or podcast.

Nowadays if you want to interview the big names you’re off to London for a prerecord or they come in need week for a a prerecord. That might not be so feasible with PK being based in London with other continents during the week now.

I’ve a feeling I’ll fall into tuning in for the opening monologue now and maybe stay for the best guest of they catch my eye. All in all though a good edit from what I saw. I found myself genuinely laughing at times which is something I haven’t experienced watching TLLS in my adult life, so well done PK.

Agree with an earlier poster on Lauruta Blewitt running that podcast. I could never quote when it why where was there. Tommy & Hector have a chemistry on their own. She gets in the way and isn’t ask that interesting either. I stopped listening to the podcast after a while as it started to sound to me like a a few talking shîte in a pub on a Tuesday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Missed it entirely but if Tommy Tiernan, James McClean and Mary McAleese were the highlights of the great new era, I had no great loss.

Tommy the alternative who got his eye wiped, McClean the lad who hoofs the ball around and tackles hard whilst lauding the RA, and Faceache McAleese.

Advertisement