Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Listen, you're comparing crap with crap. We have been awful for years and years now. I don't care about dropping 20 places I literally don't even care about short-term results. Because we have been down that road, and ended up at tournaments getting hockied. I want to see the beginnings of something consistent and permanent. That starts with going back to youth, trying to be brave in the way you play, and working towards instilling a long term view.

I don't want long ball football I don't want this will do for now and don't think about tomorrow. Any "success" Ireland has had has been down to desperate playing, against weak teams and bucketing out water of the sinking boat approach to how we approach qualification campaigns. Oh if we can scrape a draw here, let's put a lump of a forward upfront and hope he can get a favorable knock-on or drop the ball. Let the F'ing boat sink and start again. Are you not embarrassed where we're at? Who gives a F about fifa rankings, they're fickle and mean nothing.

Do you think our ranking was a comfort when we got smashed in Euro 2012? And that ranking? Achieved through what?! wins against countries that barely register as professional footballing entities. We have been fluffed up and flattered to deceive with any success we have had. None of it has been convincing and none of it has looked sustainable or anything to build on.

Kenny needs to go, but he has done decent work as I mentioned. Youth, playing the ball on the ground (such a stupid marker, but here we are) and actual bravery to go at an opponent instead of living in fear for 90 minutes and hoping we snatch something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Long ball football is what the game is about. We're not Brazil. Soccer is about getting to the corner and crossing it for headers / tap ins . Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

You focused on the rankings but the main point is the 6 major failures. The huge drop in rankings are as a result of them.

First, let's deal with the lies from Kenny supporters. We have not been awful for years. We've had some awful performances and results but also some brilliant performances and results. Under Martin O'Neill and Trappatoni, we qualified for major tournaments. We only ever qualified for 4 prior to Trappatoni so they are excellent achievements. At Euro 2016, we had a very good tournament, drawing with Sweden, beating Italy and giving the hosts France a great game in the last 16.

Under both these managers we got famous wins. Away to France, away to Austria, home to Germany, the playoff win against Bosnia, away against Wales. Some really good draws as well. Kenny supporters would have statues erected if he achieved any of this. Instead, he has a competitive win ratio of only 19%, under half of what was achieved under Trappatoni and O'Neill. Even McCarthy, with a worse squad than Kenny, had a record of played 10, won 5, drew 4 and lost 1. So overall, we haven't been brilliant for years but we've been far from awful. That's until Kenny arrived. Let's look at the 6 major failures:

Failure 1: Had a great chance to get a new manager bounce and qualify for Euro 2020 but lost to a depleted Slovakia team.

Failure 2: Only scored 1 goal and nearly came bottom of his first Nation's League group coming miles behind Wales and Finland.

Failure 3: Got effectively knocked out of World Cup qualification after 2 matches by losing to Luxembourg, came miles behind Serbia and Portugal.

Failure 4: Struggled past Armenia at home after losing away to avoid coming bottom of his second Nation's League, way behind Scotland and Ukraine.

Failure 5: Got effectively knocked out of Euro 2024 qualification after 2 matches by losing to Greece. Sitting just above Gibraltar, miles off the top 3.

Failure 6: Previous results, especially his second Nation's League have made it almost impossible to get a playoff for the Euros.

He has achieved these 6 major failures in 3 years of managing Ireland. He has had 1 good win in that time but also some of the most depressing, awful performances we've ever had. And let's not forget, the only times we've had good performances under Kenny is when Barry or Eustace have been looking after the team formation, set up and tactics for him.

You may not care about the rankings but they are hugely important in what draws we get going forward. So, it's not only the 6 major failures but the drop in rankings have huge ramifications for future managers. It will take a lot of hard work to recover from the damage caused by Kenny. He's been an unmitigated disaster. No amount of lies, revisionism or throwing our players under the bus will change that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redseat1

Got to the "lies from Kenny supporters, not been awful for years" and gave up.

First of all, it's just opinions. You'll have to accept that some people will differ from you. It doesn't mean they are liars.

You may have been happy with the dross served up by Trap counting his millions in his Italian villa because he refused to travel to watch Irish players play club matches, the tankings in 2012, the campaign after that, the fights with some players, the pets like Sammon, Cox and Green. Or O'Neill and Keane, again the physical fights as the ball was hoofed into the rafters and good players left. But you cannot insist that others must wave plastic hammers and Ole Ole it too.

Kenny has had to deal with a bankrupt organisation, change years of awful football, with the weakest players we've ever had. You disagree? That's fine, but don't call people "liars" for pointing this out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Don’t agree with all of this post, particularly the bits about O’Neill and Trap, but well said nonetheless.

Observing this discussion has been interesting. I really don’t understand why people take such extreme views and project some sort of hidden agenda or stupidity on those who make the opposite point. Debate and discussion is dead on the internet and in much of life. It’s just two opposing views trying to shout the other one down.

You didn't give up, you read the rest of my post but couldn't come up with any argument against it. The lies come from describing previous managers reigns as awful while talking up Kenny's reign.

You just want to ignore the 6 major failures I pointed out in my post, you want to ignore the horrendous win percentage, you want to ignore the collapse down the World rankings, you want to ignore that others had to come in to change the formation and tactics for Kenny, you want to ignore all these facts.

Are you going to pretend you didn't read the above again? Or do actually have any defence of how bad Kenny's reign has been? Trapp, O'Neill and McCarthy had some bad moments but Kenny has been diabolical from start to finish.

I didn't read the rest of your post. Ooooo that makes you a liar so. Liar liar pants on fire.

See how very silly the liar stuff sounds.

Look, you hate Kenny, accept that others don't. And many of us will gloss over the post after post after post after post after post after post after post in which you confuse opinion with facts.

It's everywhere on social media. The people who insist their opinion is objectively right as if it's established by science or a formula, insist that others should read it, and shout down any polite dissent.

I'm now being told that I read an entire post, by someone who has never met me, confuses opinion and fact, and really thinks I should read it. Like, you can only laugh!

I don't hate Kenny, that's another lie. And again, you refuse to even attempt to argue against all the points I raised. Why is that?

Just to remind you in case you pretend you didn't see it again.

6 major failures.

Falling way down the rankings.

Others had to look after formations and tactics for him.

Let's start with those 3.

• Advertisement

If you have no argument against something, it's ok to admit it. It's the internet, no one cares.

You care. Very much.

How many times have you posted about Kenny here?

Were you banned from the soccer forum for your posts about Kenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

We should have beaten a very good Portugal team away, we drew with them at home. we at least deserved a draw with France in Dublin, he has been a very unlucky manager. Hopefully he gets another contract, I dont want Carsley, he wont do well with us.

🤣 I just find it amusing how much squirming you're doing that's all.

Let's try again. Kenny's had 6 major failures, I've quoted them below as apparently you missed them the first time. Any argument against those?

Portugal battered us away. We could have drawn with France but it was an old fashioned all out defence and try to knick something from a setpiece performance. No way does he deserve anything but the sack.

You don't sound amused. Calling people you don't know "liars" just because they have a different opinion sounds more like angry.

Now, speaking of squirming, we'll try again. Were you banned from the soccer forum for your posts about Kenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

We battered Portugal away, they were very lucky to get anything from that game. We actually played well against France, we didnt just sit back and defend. are you sure you saw that game?

The goal we gave away v France was very sloppy and the header by collins wouldnt be saved by 9 out of 10 goalkeepers, we should have won that game really.

I'm actually very amused! 🤣 Your posts are basically like that leave Britney alone guy:

Leave Kenny alone!!!! 😂

You've failed to refute any of the points I've raised against Kenny. You're clearly part of the cult. I'm getting second hand embarrassment from the squirming you're doing, I'm sure others are the same. So I'll do you and everyone else a favour and put you on ignore. I don't have to pretend not to have read your posts! 😸

Portugal 72% possession. 29 shots to 6. They missed a penalty, hit the post.

We did just sit back and defend against France until the last quarter and then tried to score from a setpiece.

Facts win every time.

I can see why this poster was banned from the soccer forum.

Posters can be for or against Kenny. But the tirade of abuse, the "you're all liars and in a cult and my opinion is a fact so there" stuff is just so lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The Stephen Kenny supporters (and they are SK supporters not Ireland supporters) can defend him all they like but his record and results are there for all to see and they're indefensible.

Whereas once we qualified for international tournaments (and Kenny just had to get through two matches to get us to Euro2020 but couldn't even deliver that) now our competition is Gibraltar, Luxembourg, etc. .

Supporting a poor manager because he's from the League of Ireland is just immature and juvenile.

Once we qualified for tournaments?

We didn't really. We never qualified at all until Charlton. He had some world class players, played an ugly but effective style, and it worked well. Since then it's been diminishing returns, the headlines in 2002 were all off the field, 2012 was a disgrace. In fairness 2016 was good, young players, some great moments. Why O'Neill took that and went back to Trap hoofball is a mystery.

It's sad really. They don't care how hard it will be to recover from the Kenny reign. Potentially, it could take a few managers and a number of years to get back to where we were pre Kenny.

It's been so bad, the only defence is to try to make previous managers seem worse than they were. And the danger is, the knives will be out for the next manager from day 1 from these Kenny fanatics.

Kenny failed and failed badly, that's indisputable. Instead of throwing their toys out of the pram, the Kenny supporters need to get over it and get behind our next manager. If we get someone good, we have decent players to start working our way back up the football ladder. It's time for some optimism after the negative last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,756 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who do you think would be good enough to take this bunch of players onwards and upwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,640 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

And the reason Kenny's Ireland was placed in such a group with Holland and France is because he lost against the weaker sides in the Nations League etc. It makes the task even more difficult now for whoever the next manager is. Regardless of style or philosophy.

You forgot to mention another lie that Ireland have not got the players to qualify, far weaker or comparable nations have qualified for tournaments Iceland, NI, Solvakia, Finland, Scotland etc.

But yet when this is pointed out the 'Kenny Kids Cult' that MON, or Trap etc was lucky to qualify! It is maddening. I think at this stage think that a psychologist could do a thesis on the small crowd who 'rule the roost' in Ireland thread.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I've just started a new thread on the soccer forum:

It would be interesting to get opinions and then start a poll.

It's true, they are fanatics. It has really caused a bad feeling amongst Irish supporters at matches and in general. Any criticism gets shouted down. It will be great for all when this period is long past us. We all need some positivity, hopefully the new man brings it.

The three previous managers before Stephen Kenny brought Ireland to major international tournaments - tournaments we all celebrated in qualifying for, enjoyed the build-up to whilst experiencing the highs and lows.

It is a total joke for anyone to refer to 2012 as a "disgrace". The achievement was in the qualification and we ended up in a group with the two eventual finalists (one of them the then holders of both the World Cup and the Euros and the other the winner of the Wrold Cup just 6 years previously) and Croatia (an international football team of considerable pedigree and players).

We are a country of 5m (less when qualifying) where football comes a distant fourth in terms of funding. Who da fook do the SK fan club think we are? Brazil 1970 in disguise?

It is also a complete disgrace for our so-called "fans" to denigrate the achievement of qualifying for major tournaments in order to protect Stephen Kenny from his disastrous reign as manager. You people are not supporters of Ireland.

Personally I would give the job to Lee Carsley, Damien Duff or Pep Guardiola. ;)

• Advertisement

And you are perfectly entitled to enjoy the pints and the build up and the craic and not care that we were getting hammered on the field. Or justify it with your "Croatia are great but we're only a small country of 5 million" (though you might want to check the population of Croatia). I didn't enjoy it, or the record breaking defeat against Germany that you overlook, or the subsequent campaign with watching Traps pets hoofing the ball anywhere. I thought it was a disgrace, you loved it, we differ, I wouldn't say it makes you some Irish superfan though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement