Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PK@rte.ie (again). The All New (Patrick Kielty) Late Late Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭squonk

I think that’s exactly what made the big I saw good though. In the levels incarnation of the show a lineup like Tommy/Hector & McAleese would have had me lunging for the remote. He actually got a good run out of them though. I dislike McAleese myself based on what I’ve seen of her of late but I remarked to a friend that it was the first time I’d seen her being an interesting person in a long while. It really wasn’t car crash stuff and nothing was rammed down anybody’s throat too much.

Thinking back, the biggest let down for me of the first hand was Laurita Blewitt. She’s famous for one thing and she keeps reminding us all of it. Now she’s cheerleading for the return of her dull, bitter and snarky hubby to the airwaves I dislike her even more. I listened to the brolly podcast after the RT/NKM committee thing. What an absolutely insufferable man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,677 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

As a sidenote to enjoying the show, Hector was bizarre last night. Pretty much zero engagement from him at all. Seems like an odd fella in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

yes you must remember the oul tubberware,It was totally plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just watched a clip - breath of fresh air - may even watch it one the player later on. Except for the bits with Hector in it. Not sure what he's for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

We copped that as well last night...looked like he was disinterested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭squonk

Maybe he didn’t want to be there? I presume “the podcast” was booked so he was probably obligated to attend but I don’t remember him saying anything. I found it odd because, no matter what, you’d think as a fellow comedian/entertainer, you’d put the best foot forward and dig out PK for his first show. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Enjoyed it, McAleese was enjoying herself on it. Kielty was refreshingly sharp compared to the last two hosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

These are human beings with somewhat interesting stories to tell.

Who would you like to see on the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I think the people who have deluded themselves into thinking that Kielty will be having high-calibre guests like Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson on every week are in for a rude awakening.

It wasn’t because of Kielty’s predecessor that the A listers weren’t coming on the Late Late, it’s because the real celebrities can do all of their promotional pushes for small markets (such as Ireland) online.

The Late Late will be raiding the RTE canteen for guests in perpuity, and those guests are only going to get worse in quality as the salaries offered to prospective RTE talents diminish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

And every 15 minutes great praise for northern Sinn Feiner Joe Brolly, who was not even on the show. Different guests mentioned him at different times. A set up.

Exactly. He let McClean get the dig in against the British that "we" thought the British army were terrorists. Sorry James McLean and Pat Kielty, you do not speak for all of us. PK should have pulled him up right there. Hundreds of thousands of army security forces served in N.I., there were not all terrorists, most were decent men and women trying to uphold the law / keep peace / earn a living / stay alive. PK could have brought up those pictures of James McClean dressed up in a balaclava like a pira man in front of his children. Not funny. Imagine if a TV presenter in the UK brought on someone from UK who played football in Ireland and who states the Irish security services were terrorists (there was collusion between the Gardai and pira as found in the Smithwick tribunal but the vast vast majority were not terrorists).

All in all, a disappointing Late Late. Clear nepotism in his choice of guests, and stomach churning when McAleese waffles on how her star, most "memorable" pupil was Shinner Brolly married to your one in between Hector and Tommy Tiernan, the one who got her picture up during the show beside Biden. (she was'nt sure was she a cousin or a niece, what was she drinking?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thought Kielty was a big improvement on his Partridge-esque predecessor. Poor guests though. I had to switch off for the first few.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,672 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Are we to expect the same old tripe guests like Padraig, Bannon, Pat Shortt, Huberman etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭yagan

The 90 min format is probably more suitable in this era. In the past the TV was sometimes the only medium you'd get to hear from someone famous, but the internet and social media have pretty much evaporated TVs importance in that regard. So the LLS is now more like an informal third place for irish life, just as Graham Norton has become a third space for TV and movie stars.

I reckon Keilty can host some serious and heavy subjects and the show can be extended on the night if needed like used to often happen in the Gay Byrne days.

Aside from his good comic skills, the thing that really stood out for me was how little he interjected, let the guests chat flow, which was the opposite of Tubridy and Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭yagan

The British state were the antidemocratic terrorists.

"They said I was ruthless, daring, savage, blood thirsty, even heartless. The clergy called me and my comrades murderers; but the British were met with their own weapons. They had gone in the mire to destroy us and our nation and down after them we had to go."

Are you next week's guest on the Kielty Late Late Show? Would'nt surprise me after last nights dire attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭AJB39

Hector talked briefly about his new TG4 show touring The Philippines and some other nearby countries. Apart from that he didn’t say much else.

Hector said it was "hot" "Tropical". "Like Navan", says Kielty.

Great Friday night entertainment (not), from two failed comedians.

Switch over the the foreign channels, they are far better. At least Norton does not have to put up with Hector plugging his new show. Bit unprofessional of Kielty to get the dig in at Joe Duffy when he was not there to defend himself. it was not even a funny dig. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,980 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought PK did a good job last night and gave us an enjoyable ninety minutes.

The foundations are laid now and things will only get better.

However this thread is stuck in a groove and needs a makeover.

Never saw Hector so quiet. Maybe whatever or how much he drank in the green room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Please remove your quoting of my post from your mealy-mouthed and frankly anti-Northern post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Keep my wife's name out of your fcuking mouth 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ha ha ha - Tubridy LEFT the LLS- you do realize that don’t you? He wasn’t sacked he left. And as far as him spending “decades entertaining the public” - ha😀- we’d no fcking choice in the matter and he got paid bloody bucket loads to do what you call entertainment, most on this thread call “taking the utter pizz”- so no I don’t feel one bit sorry for Ryan- off to the sunset with him or wherever he wants to go - lord knows he has enough tax payers money to play with

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭briany

It became the forum of the nation because there was a time when the whole nation watched it, because there was no other options. That is no longer true. I'd say that the Tommy Tiernan Show has struck a better balance between light and dark, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

I liked it a lot. He got the blend of silly and serious right. James McClean isn't someone I would instinctively like but Paddy brought him along decently and I learned something about him that created respect. It's early days yet but my telly's Saorview was rusty from lack of use until last night. I'll watch the LLS again next week.

Oh and Tubs' sob stories, Country and Irish, and yahoo-ism should be burned in a massive furnace and never spoken of again. It was shite piled far too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭wandererz

So, does he fly back and forth between London and Dublin every week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Anything would be better than tubs. Pk was grand.

But christ on a bike it's a 50k a year max type gig.

Even at that, you'd feel fairly lucky to be earning that coin to interview a bunch of people you'd see on dublin bus once a week for a few months a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Allinall

You’re living in dreamland if you think it’s a €50k job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Advertisement

Advertisement