Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Worse than they are now? Losing by a record score against South Africa and not being at it against France, I don't know how much worse it could be for them really. They seem to flatter to deceive and crawl into their shell a little once the World Cup came up, where have we seen that before? And what is the common denominator between the last fancied team that did that?

So next week it will be a game plan against Pollard, I am still confused if he would have been ready to be on the bench for the 2nd match why Pollard was not included from the start in the squad. They could have controlled his return and he would have been ready to play against Ireland and the rest of the tournament. I know people like to think Erasmus plays 4d chess while us idiots are still banging the bones of the dead together, but picking 4 9's and now only having one hooker in the squad if they pick Pollard makes very little sense. What if Mbonambi gets a concussion or a suspension?

Then again they may be playing us all by saying all of this about Pollard and draft in Dweba in the end, but what would that do to Libbok and his confidence? He is already struggling with his goal kicking, adding in speculation of bringing in Pollard and unbalancing the already unbalanced squad even more so he can take over from you will play havoc with his head, I feel for him. But that is the 4d chess I guess that I cannot see.

I hope the rumours of Erasmus coming to Irish Rugby to replace Nucifora stays just that, rumours. Erasmus brought in Grobler knowing his past with drugs and had no qualms about it, imagine him making decisions at the top of the game about who can and cannot come in. Do we really want to deal with this all of the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Similar to the French yellow card the other night

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Remember when AKI got a red card for Ireland against samoa in the final group game? Now that was the definition of stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What a waste of time. Cant think of any other sport where something like last night is allowed to happen. 71-3 FFS.

Be like putting Tyson Fury in the ring with a 10 year old girl.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Whitehouse was the TMO, not the bunker ref. He didn't make the yellow/red decision.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

One thing I'd like to see is more transparency on who the bunker team are. Are they the only officials not publicly announced? The citing commissioners are usually known too, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Like soccer world cups and spain beating Costa rica 7-0 etc. always can happen in world tournaments when you include sides from all over world... Namibia were badly affected by covid and not getting enough games while many of top sides it was business as usual in terms of matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,887 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Happens a lot more in Rugby though no real depth as yet. As a casual watcher, I always think it is from the QF's on is when the real Rugby WC starts, in my opinion.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thing is, Tier 2+ won't close the gap without more exposure and more tests to make the tournaments more competitive. Namibia is always gonna be a bit of a no hoper given their circumstances, but consider where Argentina, Italy and Japan are now (current form notwithstanding) compared with the periods when they played their way to the top tables. Usually involving beating us, oddly lol.

If Uruguay, Fiji, Chile, etc don't get those chances, whither Rugby as a global force? Going from an old boys club to a walled in garden isn't improving the game, it seems World Rugby wanna shrink the opportunities for these countries to play test rugby. At a minimum, we shouldn't reduce the WC numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,333 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wouldn't be a great advocate for the Haka / Polynesian War Dances before Test matches, but nonetheless a great honour for Leinster's own Michael Ala'alatoa to lead his nation in their's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Brilliant try.

and a yellow card to boot!!! Or worse!?

Don't think that'll be upgraded, but he's lucky he didn't make head contact. Idiotic hit.

Nice to see a ref roll back on a penalty when he realises the quality of the pitch was the cause of a problem in the scrum. Bit of fairness being applied is always welcome, a lot of refs would just stick to their decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,718 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Thought this game would be livelier. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

You've got to love Chile.

Between Uruguay on Thursday and Chile, and importantly the sort of rugby they play, there is real potential in South America. It would be great for these countries to be exposed to more top level rugby a more regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

We beat Romania 82-8. Italy beat Namibia 52-8. SA are going to put 70 points past Romania tomorrow. It makes a mockery of the tournament.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No it doesn't. Every tournament has blows outs. These smaller nations deserve their days in the spotlight.

There can be, and will be, upsets. And even the Uruguay loss on Thursday night will need seem with great pride by their players that they can stand toe to toe with the best out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You'd have to think that's that for any chance Portugal Chile had of sticking with Samoa. Nice score too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Yes indeed, I had Portugal in my head from the ad just before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Poor match really. Thought both teams would bring more, lots of mistakes

That was a harsh yellow

Two harsh yellows.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Why did the last Chilean player - the guy who had just come on - get sent to the bin?

Genealogy Forum Mod

They were on a team warning. He was just unlucky to be the one to infringe next.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Good stuff - thanks for that.

Was unfortunate to go off after only two minutes on the field.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Wales look like they got their RWC kit at a wasps liquidation auction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Sucker punch try, Portugal looked decent so far

Portugal look like they'll score tries, but their tackling has been poor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would that be a weight and strength conditioning thing? These teams simply not used to tackling heavier, stronger players and unable to factor that into their method? Seems a typical refrain, unfortunately, with the smaller teams - alongside the scrums also taking a battering I've wondered if pure physicality is the difference.

Advertisement