Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kinda underlining that whatever else they actually did, ANTIFA have become a useful, kneejerk bogeyman for right wing àssholes to worry over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Do you actually read the thread or are you just quote dumping ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Was in Finland some time ago and one of the many things that struck me was The gathering of the harvest and storage of same ie families build these mounds from clay , build / reinforce a coldstore room underneathhttps://www.boards.ie/categories/bank-of-ireland it and erect a door into it . Both sides are lined with shelves stacked with jars of all kinds of pickles , etc, etc. In Ireland we look at the stuff rot or do’nt grow stuff at all.

I assume, in Finland, what they do re for example, preserving food is because of what is necessary to do to survive in case you are attacked again and basic food is hard to comeby

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Well, I suppose using the hull of the ship to "destroy" it counts for Russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,736 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Must have snuck up on them. Gave them no time to deploy the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

I'm making the point that the rumor is out there. Follow it up if you will, otherwise ignore.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

You would be surprised, lots of Country's still do this. They gather everything when its in season, then either pickle and store it in glass jars, or if its meat, nowadays they refrigerate it., but before they would smoke it and store it. Like we used to do many years ago, it was the rare house, especially in the countryside that didn't have a side of bacon or two hanging in the chimney, a butt of potatoes in the shed and twists of onions hanging from the rafters. I was in Belgrade for the month of June, and I spent a lot of time with my friend collecting what was in season then, all for storing for future use. He even went and bought two goats that were to be used in a barbecue by the river ( Sava) and also about 100 kgs of meat for freezing. They are used to sudden swings in the food supply in that part of the world, the Baltics. And for sure, the size and shape of what ever kind of fruit and vegetables is irrelevant once its fresh and wholesome. And not only that, but its for sound economic reasons too. Fruit and vegetable markets are plentiful in the cities too, much cheaper that supermarkets.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

• Advertisement

All of what you have said is very true, but from my experience in places like that, they all talk about returning home. That's the dream. And I know of places that were bombed to the foundations, small hamlets yet rebuilt. It has lot to do with the culture and the locality too. A sense of place and belonging...it's who they are, and where they are from. This is especially true where strong clan systems are at work. The need to get home. Things are measured differently there than here in western society.

And maybe its the cause of Kadyrovs illness? Squeezing into it, and then trying to walk around in it????? Or possibly an infection from the wooly shepherds hat??? ☺️😊😊

After the first bottle or two of vodka ( a prerequisite to a good night out) how many would be able to tell the difference anyway.......???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

There's an awful lot of what you describe there that's still pretty normal in rural France. Most people I know kill their own chickens, ducks and rabbits, milk their own goat and trawl the hedgerows for berries, nuts and mushrooms. As for the obsession with (indoor) toilets - from our rural continental perspective, that's a weird, outmoded behaviour that the Russians share with other primitive people like the Irish, the Brits and the Americans. :-) When you pay for every litre of water, and you're subject to drought restrictions ten months of the year, dry/compost toilets make good financial and ecological sense.

So while it might sound to pampered city-dwelling Westerners that life is unbearably tough in these kinds of places, it's remains a choice of lifestyle for a good number of former pampered city-dwelling Westerners (like me) - and being able to pick up a destroyed hamlet for a knock down price, complete with plenty of raw materials already onsite for (re)construction will appeal to people beyond those who have no emotional connection to the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I don't deny there's an emotional connection to these places that will doubtlessly drive the reconstruction projects nationally- my primary concern and doubt will be how much say these Hamlets will have over whether they get rebuilt or not. I can't imagine there'll be enough money for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭amandstu

"and being able to pick up a destroyed hamlet for a knock down price, complete with plenty of raw materials already onsite for (re)construction will appeal to people beyond those who have no emotional connection to the place"

That sounds pretty cynical to me.Realist perhaps but much better unsaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

I'm making the point that actually reading the thread saves you from link dumping with no context, it also prevents unnecessary posts which I then don't have to ignore...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It's not cynical - it's what'll drive Ukraine's post-war recovery. For every house that needs to be rebuilt and every square metre of land that needs to be de-mined, there'll be a demand for materials and innovation that'll serve Ukraine's wider interest. We've already seen how quickly they've taken their autonomous vehicle industry from "meh" to magnificient. Once the Russians have been ... persuaded ... to leave them in long-term peace, that's an industry that'll be in high demand from other countries with a desire to have an airforce or a navy but not enough budget to pay for it. We'll see the same in respect of mine clearance: once the Ukrainians have the opportunity to apply the full force of their innovation to the problem of unexploded ordnance, I'm pretty sure they'll be called on to clear territories elsewhere in the world that have been neglected for decades.

The biggest difference between the Ukrainian mentality (as I see it) and that of the Russians, is that the Ukrainians do what needs to be done, and do it well; the Russians do stuff just for show, like their crappy rebuilding of apartments in Mariupol, and everyone knows it, so no-one will be lining up to give contracts to the post-war Russian companies (especially as the Chinese will be taking full advantage of their weakness in the immediate and medium-term future).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,736 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's what I was thinking.

There will be huge money pumped into rebuilding Ukraine but it will most likely be in big urban centres.

When your flat broke from being a refugee you are gonna take the house you are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Seems to be a change of policy from the US. Obviously nothing to do with Crimea as the US has always acknowledged it as being part of Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

In the off chance the previous owner of this vehicle is reading this thread.

There's some very greatful Ukrainians who'd like to show their appreciation.

The Guardian, via those UK Ministry of Defence reports, is saying Russia is stockpiling cruise missiles for another winter assault on Ukraine's energy infrastructure.

So once more, Russia wants to freeze, and kill, ordinary Ukrainian citizens far from the front-lines for no other reason than to sew discord and terror.

They are, and remain, terrorists.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Yes, if that's your thing, go for it, and I know one or two who have bought country houses as you describe and in France too. That style of life wouldn't bother me one bit, ( hardly surprising I guess, as I've lived it. When you have lived in a tent in a dried up riverbed in Darfur in temps of 40c +, any thing after that is luxury!! LOL 🤣 ) None the less, there's a very big difference living that lifestyle in France and doing the same thing in Rural Russia or Rural Ukraine, ( although Ukraine would be a better bet, by far) But one negative effect of the toilet system is that you have to be pretty careful not to let any cuts on your hands etc come in contact with the soil for quite a while after the "slurry" has been spread. I've seen what it can do in terms of infection after a very short time, ( as in hours ).But once you are aware of the pitfalls, then its OK. Few things beat being on your own ( or with partner ) under a starry sky and being master of all you survey ! When I was in Darfur, lying on a blanket, at night out in the open, the stars were something else. Completely different experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd say this winter Ukraines AA will be in a far better position to take protect its core energy infrastructure.

Also, I'd expect UAF drone teams to get the Intel to locate these stockpiles and eliminate them.

Post edited by TheValeyard on

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭threeball

Time to get additional air defences in position and for Ukraine to attack Russian energy themselves. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

There'll be a lot less Russian janitors than there were this time last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Any rumours about what happened here?I know was mentioned I believe back on the thread a few days ago but seems very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Removed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not so easy maybe as these missiles launched from quite a distance. Undoubtedly too the Russians will be more careful with dispersing their storage sites now. Maybe targeting factories or munitions in transit if possible would be effective?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

According to the control map , Ukraine appear to have punched a hole in the first main line of defence -

But progress has remained haltingly slow, unfortunately, or at least this is how it looks on the front. Were the Russians able to fall back so that the AFU couldn't roll this line up, or was this not even the objective of the AFU in the first place? Are they currently happy to lob ordinance at targets behind the front line and erode Russia's defensive capabilities until the F-16s arrive? Is there any chance that the AFU can significantly move the line before the rain comes and the ground softens?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement