Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

The gushing adulation for last nights show really puts things into perspective. It was mediocre at best but still a vast improvement on the dour, soulless, disingenuous excrement that was there with that talentless bean pole at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Took a look at the Indo site and there's no Tubridy puff piece today. There are a lot fo reviews of the LLS and they are positive. It is almost as if Tubridy is deservedly being memory-holed. Kielty was good and the new LLS show is very different to the Tubridy stuff.

Even the Sindo must be having second thoughts about giving Tubridy a column. Those job offers for Tubridy have not been rolling in and the whole rationale of overpaying its "talent" and management has been destroyed. Was this the first LLS in recent years where there was no NKM "talent" wasting airtime?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

Reviews on Kielty are online pretty positive so hopefully he keeps a roll going.

Scrolling through the right swipe and rte still had tubs as the thumbnail on the late late show. I think the show last night was a real blow to the nkm "talent" line. No puff pieces today or since rte was back at Pac. I wonder is he finally getting/taking advice to keep the head down for a bit.

PK was nervous at the start I felt but warmed in nicely. The problem is really the Show can't seem to pull in any top class guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'd hold fire until you see the Sunday Independent, I think they have a slightly different management that the regular Indo... they could still go full on soft rehab of Tubridy. They may be waiting to see what other media saying about Kielty before deciding which way to jump.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Give the LLS a couple of months before stating "the Show can't seem to pull in any top class guests."

It's early days yet but PK did a fantastic job last night showing us how bad Tubs was over the past 14 years.

If they're going to have them one would be organised for the opening show. The date has been set for over 2 months. It's like the Opening Ceremony for an Olympics, Athletics etc. You have a star guest lined up. Basic promotional and marketing strategy.

Not the 2 Johnnies, Hector, McAleese, McClean. That shallow pool of talent is difficult for any presenter to overcome.

Maybe PK did not want an A lister overshadowing his first show.

So hold fire for now and see what the future brings.

The Indo is close to being a newspaper. The Sindo is very much a viewspaper like the Irish Times. Apart from the Sindo/Indo's documented virulent anti-SF stance, they both tend to follow the herd when it comes to issues outside of politics and business. The Sindo will need to get an interview with Kielty for the front page. Tubridy now seems to be toxic because of those payments.

Not sure if any of the guests were NKM. It seems like a the opportunity to send a very public message to Tubridy and NKM was taken. This morning in the media, it seems to be a case of Bryan who?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Oh no I don't want an A lister like Taylor Swift, Tom Hanks etc over shadowing my first show. That doesn't sound plausible.

We'd have problems with someone's inflated ego, again, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Maybe they think the first show will get a big audience, and if they have more high profile guests they are lined up for later episodes.

And what makes you think PK is the person solely in control of booking \ agreeing the guests?

When was the last time such an A lister was on the LLS?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

We don't know so let's wait and see how the next couple of months play out.

What PK has shown is that he is a great host, RT won't be missed and most importantly he showed how bad a LLS host RT was.

When was the last time is right. One can't be got. That's the point I'm making. It's a draw back having to rely on two Johnies.

A great host??? You don't anoint someone a great host after one mediocre show. The consensus is he did well but you're the first to say great.

If he did well why is the show mediocre?

I and countless others think PK did a fantastic job and I am looking forward to next weeks show.

Because of the guests? You could do well but you can't turn two Johnnies into a silk purse.

I and countless others think he did well. Varied opinion as happens.

Some of these conversations are surreal. If you don't toe the party line to a tee you get asked bizarre questions. Burst out of this echo chamber thread bubble.

Also how come your profile was totally banned and greyed out a month ago and now you're back?

Welcome back by the way, I found you a good poster, sincerely.

Edit: You've got humility which is something I value and that helps in that the message you deliver takes precedence over the messenger's own self aggrandisement.

Well I am no big fan of the Two Johnnies and I can't believe that RTE are employing them but RTE think if you have a decent amount of followers on Social Media that will turn into listeners and viewers.

Bar the Two Johnnies I thought the guests weren't bad.

For ages on here the party line has been pro government and pro RTE and RT.

I was banned for a month for disclosing some info on RT and RTE that certain people did not want disclosed on here.

Thanks for your kind words.

I just call it as I see it with no BS and if I get it wrong I will say so and own up to it.

I should also add that working in the media does not mean I won't call out the media if I feel they deserve it. I guess you could say that I have scruples which is why I don't or will never toe the party line.

No problem. Good to see you back.

I'm painted as an RT appeaser etc. I'm not really. I can't stand NK in particular, and most of his 'stable'. I just think a time will come when we have to move on and sort the bigger ills. The world is full of corruption and I probably do have a hierarchy with regards crime and wrongdoing in my head.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Last night was pure muck, but has been elevated to gold standard by the dross it replaced.

His opening jokes were so average, and eventually got boring. I've seen better comedy at the Laughter Lounge.

Guest1 - the guy who hosts the other RTE chat show. Shall we expect to see Kielty on the Tommy Tiernan show next season?

Guest2 - Hector. Also rte alumni?

Guest3 - wife of ex rte gaa pundit.

Guests 4 and 5 - 2fm radio hosts.

McAleese - how many times has she been on before?

Stand by for the usual rota of Dermot Bannon, Daniel O Donnell, Vogue Williams, and anybody else with the faintest connection to RTE.

Who actually watches this, when you have millions of hours of quality streamable content available at the click of a button?

• Advertisement

If Fr. Stone hosted last night's LLS it was going to be magnificent just because it wasn't Tubridy. That's no way for mature adults to think.

I suppose that Tubridy fans can always watch old episodes on the RTE Player ...if it works. :)

Regards...jmcc

I do agree we will have to move on but not until RTE is fixed and all the nepotism, corruption and any NKM leftovers is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I hope the guest list for future shows improves It has to if the Late Late Show wants to stay part of Irish culture. Because we are a small country I think RTE are quiet limited regarding A lister guests. It just too easy to become a celebrity here.

The perfect example are the Two Johnnie's. In my opinion they lack real talent. I have nothing personal against them and I feel if we didn't have social media they would most likely be playing gigs in local pubs and clubs. The same can be said for some of the up and coming talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Rory Stories and Emma Doran are 2 other examples of "celebs" who got airtime on this show last season. Comedians apparently. A few thousand Instagram followers (which can be bought) and the LLS booking team will be sliding into your DMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Watched the new LLS on rte player this morning. Actually liked it. Hector was very quiet as was the woman with them (don't know her, Joe Brolly's wife), Tommy was funny. Mary mc was actually entertaining. It was short and sweet. There was warmth between them. 2 Johnnies I usually dislike but they came across well, particularly the guy with the beard. McClean was interesting but it almost fell into misery and they dragged it out of it with comedy continually which worked. Nice short, quick interviews. He actually lets his guests speak uninterrupted and seems to advance the conversation based on that. Such a huge difference to Tubs. The toy show plug early on was stupid and I'll advised.

First show off to a good start, waiting for the lineup in coming weeks. I'll tune in next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I would imagine the likelihood of anyone being able to grab Swift while on a massive tour is low. Actors are largely out too cause there's an actors strike. So that's not an issue unique to Kielty.

I think he did a great job for what his guests were, first Interview worked great. Two Johnnies were fine and I loath them.

McClean interview was also excellent, didn't rely on pulling on heart strings and just allowed him to speak.

So overall I may actually intermittently tune into it and wouldn't say about the LLS normally. He's fresh talent and the vibe is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

I think the strike in America will really affect all the chat shows, Graham Norton might get away with it having the British pool to pick from but the Irish pool of talent is a lot smaller so it might hamper Kielty a great deal which is unfortunate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Was this the first LLS in recent years where there was no NKM "talent" wasting airtime?

I hope you are right there, however, my jury are still in the deliberation room debating the two Johnnies very sudden rise to a slot on 2FM (which has all the hallmarks of a talent agent of note) 🤔 It's making '12 Angry men' look like a picnic in there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement