Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Astral Nav

Baulked not baulk up. It means a very low go around or even one from the runway where initial go around actions are not yet appropriate such as increasing pitch or changing configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Don’t really follow if that’s pilot error or not - if it is, would the pilot face disciplinary action?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

No crew is immune from mistakes, a United 767 recently had such a bad landing that the fuselage skin buckled.

With regards to EI-LRD, I don’t know the details of this particular incident outside of what is publicly available, but the A321 can be prone to tail strikes due to its longer fuselage and relatively short gear. There isn’t much room for error.

Heres an example from British Airways last year;

https://youtu.be/tj9JCE4Kqfg?si=oOU4_x0nfWAXlNT_

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The BA event was close, but no tail-strike occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

As above the 321 is a long aircraft and has a history of tail strikes. Airbus installed fancy FBW trickery to manage pitch in the flare regime to prevent this but it you keep pulling back you get is a 'pitch pitch' audio by which time its probably too late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gary walsh 32

Chicago flight ei 123 cancelled for the second day running

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ohigg84

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ro23

Heading to the states in a few weeks, just seeing how many of the ex Qatar planes are still in use transatlantic? Praying I won't be on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Two with the Qatar cabin config. Primarily used on Orlando and Chicago.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Aer Lingus have 15 A330 and 8 A321LRs. 2 of those A330 are the "infamous" ex-Qatar birds.

But of, course it depends on the route you are on.

In actuality its not that bad. I travelled to Asia 6 months back. 2x 12 hour flights. Had wifi on the outbound, tried but it didnt work on the homeward. watched 2 films on outbound flight, only one on the other. I used my kindle/podcasts with the flight map mostly.

Power ports werent an issue because I rarely leave home with a power pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭dublin12367

EI to reduce Orlando from MAN from 4 to 3 weekly for winter season. Is this a bad sign for the base at MAN?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 user52873

Sunday's EI134 BOS-SNN cancelled, wonder if this is related to the tailstrike incident. Wonder if they wet-lease something for few months over winter / spring as they must have sold out those US flights with the super cheap fares recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Strictly speaking there are 3 ex QF birds, EI-GEY being the other. It has WiFi and an EI interior tho so the average pax won’t notice a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sherology

Barbados starts over the winter so assume this absorbs the aircraft.

BGI was previously 3 weekly with MCO 4 weekly, it looks like both will be 3 weekly this winter so a slight reduction.

I think MCO goes back up to 4 weekly for a few weeks around Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Not great if they are reducing ex Manchester. Loads are very hit and miss !

I wonder how JFK will do in the winter now that it is on the A330, it’s a big aircraft to operate in winter when loads are light on New York after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I flew out to Munich on Aer Lingus on Monday the 11th of September, the plane we were supposed to be getting had screens and plug sockets etc, but the plane was switched out, it meant I didn't get the seat I'd paid for amongst other things but was it likely related to this?

The biggest problem for Manchester is fleet flexibility, with no growth there’s no economies of scale and no ability to adjust depending on the season or varying demand.

Ideally JFK would go back to an A321LR this winter but they don’t have enough narrow-body capacity and there’s also the added complication of separate operating licenses for the UK subsidiary ie. each aircraft needs to be re-registered.

Average loads are respectable, 60-70% with school holidays close to full but this lags behind Dublin and there’s a lack of consistent demand. They really are just keeping the pressure on Virgin Atlantic most weeks who themselves see some poor to average loads outside the peak.

Aer Lingus’ long term fleet plan pre-IAG expected to operate 12 A321LR by now, then the take over happened and 7 were ordered, this was topped up to 8 shortly afterwards. Another 6 XLR were ordered with deliveries from ‘24-25 onwards. That’s still only 14 narrow bodies as we head towards the 2030s, way behind the original plan. Even when you take the pandemic into account, the scaling back of their original growth plan is disheartening.

The overall fleet is still lingering around 50 or so aircraft, 8 years after IAG takeover.

All this might seem irrelevant in the short term when you consider the maintenance shortages and industrial issues but in the long term it means Aer Lingus isn’t growing as quickly as it should and is potentially missing out on new opportunities, particularly across the Atlantic.

Somewhat disingenuous statement from the COO.

He skirts around the fact that EI have been relying on pilots working on their days off to keep the operation running smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Pity IAg took over aer lingus... would they be better off ditching Manchester and focusing on dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Pilots are refusing to operate outside normal working hours - HOW DARE THEY!?!?!?

I think Mr Dunne's 16 years in Ryanair has given him brain freeze. He is not used to crew having actual terms and conditions and trying to use a thinly veiled threat against crew.

The bigger issue is that he basically admitted that they can't crew their operation unless pilots work outside their normal days off. They would normally deny that they are under crewed.

Also, so much for the official company policy of disconnecting outside of normal working hours.

I think this comes up about once a month here. The most sensible answer is maybe or maybe not. There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument.

Dublin is increasingly constrained and Aer Lingus’ own facilities at its home base are lacklustre at best and there’s always a risk putting all your eggs in one basket. With that said, it’s their home market and brand awareness is second to none, the hub operation works well and sustains a growing a network, it’s super efficient and demand shows no sign of weakening.

Manchester is primarily leisure based, with intense competition for that lower yield passenger, growth is limited by fleet and operating constraints and brand awareness is weaker. Demand is however strong and it’s a proven market, there was an opportunity post-Thomas Cook, it enables Aer Lingus to diversify its business, something it has long desired but previously failed.

The suggestion Aer Lingus should “focus” on Dublin makes it sound like they’re incapable of doing both. A business the size of Aer Lingus should be able to successfully manage all realistic growth opportunities within its strategy that are presented to it.

As for IAG, it was probably inevitable that Aer Lingus would end up in a bigger group, and there are upsides but it does remove a level of freedom and speed at which management can act. The airline now has to jump through hoops and compete with ‘sister’ airlines to get investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Not working on your off days is your right. What planet is the COO living on? He's refusing to take responsibility for a failure that he is partly responsible for. Failing to have enough staff for the amount of flights they are operating. Perhaps he should reconsider his position for failing to achieve such a basic requirement of the airline.

In fairness to the COO, he is only in the job a couple of months.

So any existing crew resource problems were inherited by him.

The CEO has been there 2-3 years now.

It's grim to see that old culture from Aer Lingus management rearing its ugly head again. They've always been worryingly quick to blame staff for their own shortcomings.

I'm sure most people will be able to see straight through those excuses from the COO but the lack of solutions or meaningful engagement from management means this will drag on into the winter where the schedule quietens down and they can ignore it again for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭jellies

What sort of a gobshite is that COO. Pointing the finger at pilots when it just highlights the inability of the COO and CEO to run the company properly. Surely if you are going to run the airline on the basis of pilot favours then you need to make sure there is goodwill from the pilots. Clearly that does not exist. The pilots also have not forgotten how they were treated during COVID and I’d say the resentment has built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Surely the solution for dublin from an airline point of view, is now larger aircraft. Ryanair getting a 21% seat increase from their new planes due in a few years...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

Disgusting behaviour from management ! How is it employee fault that they are sticking to their conditions ?

it’s managements fault for not building in any resilience in resources and just relying on people working their days off !

ei back to its days of awful management that are totally disconnected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

If the operation is struggling because people aren’t willing to do voluntary overtime/additional duties then you don’t have enough people and/or you’re not paying them enough to make it worth their while.

Viewing employees as a resource to be exploited/milked only works in the short term, long term the pain and problems outweigh the financial benefits and ultimately hinder financial performance. We only need to look at Boeing in recent years, once the gold-plated, greatest name and employer in the business. Then the MBAs and penny pinchers took over, and the brain drain commenced.

Even Ryanair quietly realised this pre COVID in many areas.

Advertisement