Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athletics 2023

Comments

• Ah come on Will you chill out, its just a bit of banter lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Looking for links seems a bit old school

Like those drivers who stop you up asking for directions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Brian Fay ran 3:36 in Padova for (I think) a big PB. Another PB for Reece Ademola, jumping 7.97m and Ciara Mageean just outside 2 mins in 2nd in the 8000m

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Also worth pointing out that Phil Healy’s previous 11.28 NR was set with a + 2.0 tail wind. Sarah Lavin’s new record was set in perfectly still conditions.

If she carries this form into next year, she could revise it again in 2024!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Yintang

Is Andrew Coscoran injured? He hasn't seemed anywhere near his usual form in his past couple of races

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Will Jakob break the 2000 metres record on Friday? It’s an incredibly strong time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

I see Brussels starts at 7pm on BBC2 tonight, will prob tune in. It's usually on YouTube as well for us none old skool TV folks.

• Advertisement

Will be one to watch, Jakob going for the 2000m WR and Shericka Jackson going for the 200m!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ciara Mageean on the 1500m starting line right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

NR and it looks like she has more in her. One more big race to go to cap a great season.

What time Jakob?

My goodness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The lights a great addition.

• Advertisement

4:43. Mind boggling. But look out for Laros in the future: 4:49 at 18

Hugely helpful. A prime El G runs a 4:42 with that aid.

Looking at Jakob tonight I’d be very confident he breaks 3000 record. He looks so fluid and strong. The pacing tonight was superb. Race was so in sync

• Delighted for Jacob but I wish he'd give up that stupid shrugging hes doing. Hes no Steve Ovett.

I see tickets for Rome 2024 are already on sale, but mostly the lesser tickets in poorer areas of the stadium. Any ideas when the better ones go on sale, will there be an announcement or do we just keep checking?

I probably won't be looking to buy them until the new year anyway, but would be nice to know all the same.

• Advertisement

A very good result for Sarah Healy, 2nd in the 5th Ave mile, behind Jemma Reekie and ahead of the likes of Nikki Hiltz, Melissa Courtney-Bryant and Kate Snowden, amongst others. She has come on tremendously this year.

Elsewhere, Sophie O'S hacked a large chunk off her 800m PB, running 2:01 and bits. Over 4 and a half seconds off her 5 year old PB. Was probably due a bit of revision...

Sophie has come on in a big way this year that I honestly wasn't expecting. Sub 4 and sub 2 look like they'll be happening sooner rather than later.

Oh and Sharlene Mawdsley with yet another PB today in Zagreb! 51.09. Some people obviously don't want the season to end.

She also set a new Irish U23 3000m record earlier this week in Roverto. I can’t recall the exact time, but it was either 8.43 or 8.44 finishing second in the race. It’s a few seconds faster than Sarah Healy’s previous mark of 8.46. It demonstrates that Sophie also has good endurance.

It looks like there will be a fierce domestic rivalry between the two of them for quite a few years into the future. I know that Ciara is 31 now, but hopefully she has another few good seasons in her. Wouldn’t it be quite something to see three Irish women in an Olympic final?

Frankly, it’s not outside the bounds of possibility in Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭hawkwing

5th Avenue Mile 2023 Women's Race - YouTube It's great to have 5-6 top class runners to follow at the moment who are all improving.

So agonisingly close to the 50.95 automatic Olympic qualifying standard.

I presume Zagreb is her last race of the season? Hopefully, she can nail sub-51 early in 2024.

What’s most impressive about Sharlene’s race today was she was less than a meter behind Candace Mcloud, who made the 400m final in Budapest. I feel like she is finally developing the self-belief that she belongs at this level. That 49.60 relay split in Budapest must give her confidence that she is well capable of running 50.xx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Is there many opportunities in 2024 for those who haven't run the qualifying times yet or when's the cut off?

I hope Mawdsley makes it, she's made such an impact on the relay teams and she's such a likeable athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Cut off is next June. Rankings will be published soon for those who haven’t the time. Mawdsley will easily make it either way tbh

Programme 2023 (diamondleague.com) Entries for Sat/Sun Diamond League, Mageean going in the 1500 v Muir etc.

Post edited by hawkwing on

Saturday/Sunday!

• Advertisement

There was some talk about ingebretsen attacking the 3000 seems unlikely

Still it's only 3-26 1500 m and then jog the rest of the way😁

Is Jakob going for mile record today?

Unlikely he could break it? He has run 3218 metres 4 seconds faster than Komen and 2000 metres 1.6 seconds faster than EL G.

I’d say it’s very possible (and logical) that he can run 7:20 or lower over 3000 metres based off these superb runs. Throw in the very beneficial WR lights they use and he can absolutely do it

I meant unlikely to be attacking it

Of course 7-20 now wouldn't be what it was with shoes , track and wavelight

Then again u balance it with the fact there was no EPO test back then it's hard to say

I would have thought that him knowing the form he is in, and wanting WRs, it would be one he must think he can do, and take!! Anyway, I’d back him somewhat confidently to run 7:20 and lower.

I reckon 3:43 and 3:26 are more difficult for Jakob

Jakob can easily crack 7:20, sure he went through 3k in 7:24 when he set his two mile WR. Whether he's making any WR attempts this weekend isn't known. It'll be held in the afternoon Eugene time, so may not be the best conditions.

Not much optimism for it ,the wind at Eugene , the weather

3000 also following the mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭4Ad

Diamond League is on BBC2 tonight and tomorrow night at 8pm...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Advertisement

Live now on BBC 3 and and YouTube.

Rai Benjamin beats Warholm! 46.39 and a Diamond League record. Big win for him.

Faith Kipyegon is such a beautiful runner, a class act !!!

one race too many for Ciara

Thought the WR might be on again, but not to be. In a better race setup I think she could've beaten it again. Think Welteji will give her some food for thought next year though, brings her PB down to 3:53.

A race to forget from Ciara Mageean.

Jakob comes close to the WR, moves to #3 on the all time lost. Delighted for Nuguse to smash the American record and go under 3:44!

• Advertisement

• Yeah your man Nuguse is really one to watch now, if nothing else he will drive Jacob and Kerr on to better times. The mens middle distance is no longer a one man race, its becoming as competitve as the womens now which is brilliant.

Hope Ciara is making a holiday of it there after travelling all the way to USA and finishing so far back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

Was fairly underwhelmed from Day 1 of Eugene. Serious feeling of after the Lord Mayor's show with some of the big names underperforming coming off their peak from World's. Atmosphere doesn't seem great there as much as you can judge that from watching on TV

• I think we were spoilt after the show that was put on in Budapest for the worlds.

Athletics isnt really that popular unfortunately unless there is a worlds or Olympics so not so much grandeur as there

is for a weekly ball game over there.

But yeah underwhelming aka a bit flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

Agreed. World's was amazing. I talked with a few people who aren't regular athletics fans who were hooked.

I feel like there was a better atmosphere though for the more run of the mill Diamond Leagues this year. Possibly it being on during the day rather than at night in Eugene doesn't help

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Sub 3:44 for Jakob. Unreal

• Advertisement
Advertisement