Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I am at a loss as to all the fuss over ETH? All of my Utd supporting siblings are banging on about how great he is doing this that and the other, but all I ever see is him in the headlines fighting with one of his own players instead of getting the best out of them. Then today I watched them play for the first time in ages and am in shock at how poor they are. ETH doesn't seem to have any plan A (or B for that matter). Just send out Rashford, Bruno and hope for the best. I can't even be bothered to rub it in my siblings faces as they've suffered enough watching this. Surely ETH must be on thin ice at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Brazilian footballers just seem to pack it in much earlier on average than lads from other countries. Or maybe you just notice it more because the best Brazilian footballers tend to be so dominant.

Irrespective, one of the things I wondered about the Casemiro transfer at the time was whether he would really be arsed for years at Utd after winning everything at Real and getting paid. The results appear to be in on that score…

He was better than the previous incumbents. That seems to be the case for him, but that will start to wear thing if this run of form continues…

Brighton were the better team today imo, by some distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Spurs! In Ange ye trust!!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭slumdogemillionaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

In fairness to Ten Hag, he inherited Ronaldo and dealt well with that situation. He recovered after a disastrous start to get them from 8th the season before into the CL.

But Casemiro is doing a Fabinho, and without Varane and Shaw they are so weak defensively. If Martinez worried more about getting to the players to stop their shots and crosses it would help things. Some save from Onana at the end as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

15 minutes of time added on in the spurs and villa games absolutely ludicrous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sheffield United took the absolute piss throughout the entire game, so serves them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Villa 3-1,looks a lot better than it was. 1-1,penalty given and scored but VAR fail to see that Diaby is at least a yard inside the box before the ball is struck! Should have had to have been re-taken.

In other news, 15 points from 15. Only Spurs can stop this now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You have to deal with different players in different ways.

Believe me it would work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Ronaldo was one of the best players in the world and wasn't entirely crocked when he inherited him. Sure, he was passed his peak, but still a formidable weapon. A more effective manager might have found a way to unlock him to best serve the team, not publicly go to war with him and find a way to get rid. If he was to publicly go to war with anyone in the squad, I'd have rathered it be Greenwood. Maybe that's just me though?

It’s great

Teams are going to learn that time wasting doesn’t pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is he though? I can't see any difference between that team today and United under Solskjaer. He had them finishing third in the league and then second.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The Villa one wasn't that bad tbh. Palace's keeper was down injured for 5m in the second half so 9m was announced in the 90th minute. The moment it was announced iirc Palace had another player go down for a minute or 2, and then during the added time a penalty was given that var checked then called the ref over to the monitor to check again before it was actually given (whole process probably took another 5m before the kick was taken).

Ten Hagg won't be there next season. He's starting to be found out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Brighton could have easily had double what they scored. They carved United apart so easily, especially in the second half. Ten Hag and United got lucky last season that so many of the teams that usually challenge for the Champions League spots were in such disarray. And United have gone backwards this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I didn't see it but the EPL (incorrect) interpretation of that rule is to ignore it unless the penalty is missed AND the encroaching players are amongst the first to the ball. So it sounds as if it was consistent with the way they instructed referees to view it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This isn't being talked about enough in terms of Utd's general form.

Any control they tended to have last season came from him. But his legs are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah I don't get the love in utd supporters have for him. He has had public spats with Ronaldo,Maguire and Sancho already. That kind of stuff should be kept in the dressing room. His tactics are one dimension much like Ole. Anyone who has Bruno as captain of their team would have questions asked of him.

As for his signings,He knew Anthony before he signed him so surely back round checks are done on players to make sure there are no skeletons in the closet. 70 million and a long term contract given to Casemiro? Why spend so much on Hoijland when he is so young and carrying an underlying injury that his minutes have to be managed? As for their new goalie does he realise his main job is to try stop the ball going into the net?

And he also wanted to keep Greenwood when not one Utd supporter I know wanted him to stay. Can Ten Hag read the room at all?

And I see some supporters blaming Maguire for today's performance,talk about being deluded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,609 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As a Brighton fan who still believes the last six seasons have been a Dallas shower scene and will turn out to not have happened; today is only making it feel ever more dreamlike.

There's no bogeymen for Brighton anymore, but it looks like there's a new one for Man U

I used to stand in Withdean on meccano stands, wearing a £1 poncho watching random league 1 teams tonk Brighton. I was at the last league game there and the first in the Amex. It still feels surreal

Wissa should be off there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

While not wanting to be part of the pile on, I am going to do it.

The warning signs were there for Casemiro. He was and is the wrong side of 30 for the role he is playing. A lone holding midfielder and his legs have been on the wane since last winter. He is not a Pirlo or Modric spraying passes at 36 while being protected with legs beside them with Vidal/Valverde etc. He is being asked to shore up a midfield on his own, stupidly. Maybe Mount missing there is a problem, but I don't think is the player to play as a second midfielder, he's more of a third midfielder and Bruno already fills that role. Eriksen performed that role well last year, but again wrong side of 30.

And The Butcher. Got turned yet again today for a goal. It happens a good bit. There's a lot of bark from him, but little bite. He is fine when progressing the ball and starting attacks but I'm not convinced that he is the defensive CB leader that you need at the top end of the table. He was only won 50% of his ground duels this seasons and 17% of his aerial duels. 17!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

They have to stick with someone, and of everyone they've had in recent years, he is the closest they've had to what they need long term.

The club can't get rid of the players that they need to. That's not his fault.

So I understand it entirely. They're in the CL, and did get a trophy.

But i still struggle to see what the identity is. So his methods aren't changing much on the field. It's largely counter attack still, but now with a better ball playing keeper, and better individuals in certain positions. They identity isn't that different to previous incarnations though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Maguire? Martinez was woeful today. Again. At the scene of all 3 crimes today. Holding his hands behind his back for 2 of their goals today when he should have been closing the player down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I didn't even think to mention Martinez,can you imagine the stick Maguire would of got had he made the mistakes Martinez made today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Another bit of a Varcical one at Newcastle.

Newcastle goal ruled out for handball in the build up, but what was the Brentford keeper doing for it. A complete air punch.

That is an absolutely disgraceful decision by Pawson. Another apology incoming

Flekken hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That's some really poor decision making by the goalkeeper.

• Advertisement

Very soft but totally the keeper's fault, what was Gordon going to do from there?

Complete dive from Antony Gordon, but not surprising from him. Turns his body away from the keeper and is on the way down knowing that they will collide eventually.

After what VAR said in light of the Onana incident, only a silly keeper makes contact there. Had to be a spotter. Sky blaming Collins for not closing down Barnes before he crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Flekken must still be having nightmares of facing Ireland.

He looked good before the break, had a nightmare against Ireland and has carried it into today.

Yeah he was dreadful against us a real flapper.

Newcastle and Brentford both very poor today. The Toon Army can be cheered by the fact that AC Milan got tonked 5-1 in the Derby della Madonnina earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Am I the only one that thinks De Gaa would have save two of those goals? Don't get me wrong Brighton walked through uniteds defense like butter but the keeper has a lot of question marks.

Hojurd??? Looks like the Danish Andy Carroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Doku looks like as useful lad! City, a bit like Liverpool (although not as bad) are guilty of giving away a lot of big chances to the opposition every time I see them play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Harsh enough re: Hojlund. He had a goal chalked off for the ball being marginally out of play and had to play alongside Rashford who was like a 6 year old playing FIFA spamming the shoot button anytime he got on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bluebb993

Fernandinho, alves, marcelo, silva all played till late 30s

• Advertisement

Onana can pass but saving shots is his problem.

His goals to shots ratio is brutal this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Call me crazy but I just don't think Ten Hag is all that. Definitely lacks the man management skills of a top manager, in game management is poor, his signings have been largely poor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

It’s posts like this that remind me why I don’t bother reading or posting here often.

Who is Hojurd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My god this is some awful awful match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Chelsea really miss Reece James

Gusto has been absolute atrocious

It is some achievement to spend 1 billion quid to be that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Raya starts in goal for Arsenal today.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement