Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In The Land Of Saints And Sinners

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Have you seen it?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

No I'm commenting on the trailer, it looks like rubbish, this years Wild Mountain Thyme? Look at the directors statement for the Venice film festival (How did it get there).... https://www.labiennale.org/en/cinema/2023/orizzonti-extra/land-saints-and-sinners

Growing up in the midwestern United States, I passionately embraced films as a means to escape the confines of my small world. Today, as a filmmaker, there is nothing more appealing than immersing myself in a new subject, to dive beneath the surface and explore an unfamiliar human experience, and to find an exciting way to share it with others through film. Which is why I was so thrilled to find In the Land of Saints and Sinners. Here was an original story, set in a special time and place, with a wild cast of characters. The film tells the story of an Irishman who must choose between keeping his shameful past a secret or exposing it all to protect his friends and neighbours from the outlaws who’ve descended upon their quiet coastal village. I set out to make a film with authenticity and realism. From the texture of the period costumes to the epic cliffside landscapes as a backdrop, to the all-Irish cast with their peculiar accents, the goal was to transport the audience into this unique world and treat them to a distinctive, compelling adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,071 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I don't get it - what about this makes you think the film is bad?

The trailer, the directors statement, the title, it looks like schlock.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

I was wondering how something like this gets made... and gets to Venice

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Woah! 😲 That actress was young Octavia in the Rome TV series! Her face looked so familiar! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 30,581 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you mean Kerry Condon?

She was great in Rome although her usual recognition now is being Oscar nominated for Banshees of Inisherin!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yeah she's the one. I haven't seen Banshees yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Netflix have the worldwide rights for this so it will drop there soon I’d say.

• Advertisement

‘In the Land of Saints & Sinners’ Review: Liam Neeson’s Gravitas Can’t Save This Barrow Full of Irish Clichés

The paddywhackery’s as thick as the Oirish brogues and flavorful caricatures in Robert Lorenz’s In the Land of Saints & Sinners, a deadly serious thriller about violence and redemption in which a local lush pauses to grab his pint as gunfire tears up the village pub. Not since the merry blarney of Wild Mountain Thyme has a movie leaned so hard into Emerald Isle stereotypes

Jack Gleeson's return to the big screen...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

The OP seemed very angry about this so I watched a bit of the trailer.

Anything with Kerry Condon is a must watch.

Looks at first like typical Liam Neeson “tough guy one last job so things go tits up” stuff but if Kerry Condon is the one out to punish him then that could be something new.

Didn’t hear any Oirish in the trailer. That is Kerry Condon real accent, Liam Neeson sounds like Neeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭flasher0030

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Neeson always playing up his Irish heritage. Liam you haven't lived on the island in 40 odd years and even when you did live in it you grew up in one of the most loyalist towns in Ulster. A town that I often visit and it is steeped in orange loyalist heritage. No wonder the unionists love him.

Just finished watching it and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

A bunch of very good Irish actors enjoying themselves.

Also glad Jack Gleeson decided to return to acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I don't really get the point you are trying to make here? Someone born in a predominantly loyalist town can't consider themselves Irish? He was born in Ballymena yes...I was born about 15 minutes away, he still spends a decent chunk of his time in Ireland. Why are you saying the unionists love him?!

I thought the acting was horrid. I was looking forward to seeing this movie. But it was like it was riding in on the back of the Banshee movie. A slow moving Irish film, and lets throw in some lovely scenery of cliffs and the sea. And we'll brand it "Oirish".

Maybe I haven't seen enough of her movies, but any movie I have seen Kerry Condon in a film, she plays the same role - a kinda domineering personality, giving out to everyone in a preaching way.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Interesting choice from Kerry Condon to play the role as though she is your former girlfriend from hell having the worst case of PMS ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I really enjoyed it too even though on paper it sounds dire. It was much better than it had any right to be once you get past the premise of rural Donegal having 2 hit men for hire in 1974.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I enjoyed it. It takes a while to get going, in the sense that the opening act is pretty lazy and groan-inducing, but it comes around. Not one I'd be including in any list of Irish cinema, but it's perfectly watchable.

Drops on Netflix on April 26th.

Dropped on Netflix today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Really enjoyed this, A decent little flick ,

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭giseva

Im not a practicing hitman, nor a retired one, but I question the risk v reward of one of Liam's jobs.

He drives from Donegal to Bantry to locate his target. He finds him and rather than dispose of the victim in that general area or in a neighbouring county, he kidnaps the man, brings him all the way back to Donegal and then does the job.

In 1970s Ireland, how many checkpoints would he have gone through on either leg of the journey? I'd imagine a lone occupant with a distinct northern accent would have received a boot search in more southern counties, or anywhere for that matter. Then there's the quality of the roads, why risk it?

Like I said, I've no experience in this area so it may have been plausible. Can any SMEs give an insight?

It's only a movie. Not real. And not supposed to be real. You will need to learn to suspend your belief.

Also, there was no Superman that could fly, and no Spiderman that could create webs from his fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭giseva

Pfft, next you'll be telling me that Jurassic Park isn't possible. Thanks for explaining movies to me. Just as well I'm not a film critic for a living, I'd not have a washer coming up against the likes of yourself, every viewpoint would be so easily shut down with "it's only a movie". Hope you didn't go to the trouble to register just for that thought provoking input!

Advertisement