Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ionity charging network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

It also looks good to me that IONITY are trying to put in six charing pedestals – something they mentioned would be their minimum going forward – and they are of the side-by-side layout – which is by far the most flexible – and gives off a "refuelling" vibe – rather than a parking one. Much less likely to be blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

He's apparently got access to some plastic fencing so I wouldn't discount him fencing off the whole hub

Looks like his house/murder shed is being removed, poor guy 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

So are the Kennedy center nearish Belfast and Looney Toons Applegreen outside Waterford the only confirmed sites so far?

Or has anyone spotted planning permission for another site?

Presumably they'll also have to bring the other sites up to scratch, City North in particular is in dire need of some more chargers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The exemption only concerns the size of the equipment to be installed, it does not go into detail on how many connectors it must have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Oh yes, that confirms it for sure

I wonder will it go toward Waterford councils target by 1 or 6, considering the prices they charge and the fact that a leaf driver will be unable to charge at all it would be a stretch to call it anything at all lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I doubt it's got anything to do with Waterford Coucil.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dsandson

Theres a planning application for 12 chargers on the south east side of Derry, at a potential new forecourt. Ionity name isnt listed but the charger detail is unmistakably the Ionity chargers

Also I agree on City North. 2 just isnt enough. I wonder if the new link with Alpitronics might help out there with some load sharing chargers

Very little, but I'd bet they'll still say they've reached 50% of their target when it's built

There's a picture of the potential chargers in the supporting documents

Definitely looks like an Ionity halo light on top

The target for Waterford is 12 chargers by end of 2023, Ionity are aiming to have their expansion completed by 2025 and the planning permission is in review.

So it's extremely unlikely they'll have even started construction by the end of 2023 IMO

I've no doubt if the timelines matched then Waterford CC would claim any Ionity chargers installed as part of the plan

Also to be fair to Waterford council, they're one of the few cities that has come up with a fairly decent public charging plan. Don't think any other cities or towns have come up with anything so far except Carlow and Dublin

Even if the plan gets delayed or lacks ambition it's ahead of having no plan at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Someone posted in the New Charger thread of a new install going in in Applegreen in Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yeah that seems to be Ionity, probably not part of the county council plan

Yes, that's probably the 6 ionity stations mentioned above, also applegreen in Tramore was posted today, rumoured to be 4 spaces. I saw a video of a dual easygo unit in Dungarvan which I have posted stills of. Lemybrien also rumoured but I have nothing concrete on that. I suspect that none of the others will be Ionity, but I am open to correction

I suspect the easygo ones are the councils doing so their deal is probably with them, an anouncement could be expected soon I think on that front

Just in todays papers Ionity has announced sites in Belfast & Toome, NI. Belfast will be 6 stalls initially, Toome will start with 12. No dates set for completion.

The Toome site seems to be this location, which is very well located just off the A4

I'm surprised they havent tried for a site near Banbridge first, as that would infill between City North & Belfast.

Great news, honestly I never thought we'd see 12 HPCs in Ireland on one site outside of Tesla

Looks like NI is going from having a terrible charging network to a pretty decent one

I guess they have a sort of minimum distance between sites and feel City North is enough (after an upgrade presumably)

Or maybe they're still looking for a site partner

So that's 3 locations confirmed, with up to 12 chargers per location

From the map it looks like there's sites in Dublin, Cork, Galway, Derry and somewhere around Clare and Longford/Sligo still to be announced

Glad to finally see some movement, although I'll be even happier when construction/upgrade works start happening

Possibly another site has popped up in the planning portal

Includes 6 EV chargers, doesn't say Ionity anywhere and no-one has included a picture of the chargers this time

But the location very roughly matches the map, and 6 chargers is a fairly distinctive number

It seems a slightly bizarre location, the N4 isn't the quietest road in the country, but it isn't the busiest either

If it goes ahead then the Northwest isn't starting to look like such a wasteland for charging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Think it's a pretty good location myself, serving both the N17 and the N4. Galway to Letterkenny is 250Km. It's 125Km to Collooney, exactly half way, and a good point to top up. 15 minutes topping up here could save a whole lot of heartache later on. With 6 charges there's bound to be spaces free when you get there, unlike the single-point ones in Sligo town or the Double one at Laghy. And because of the roundabout, it's just off the main road.

Yeah I'm impressed that Ionity (or anyone) are opening a hub there, it opens up a big section of Ireland for EVs and between it, Galway (probably Athenry from the map) and a location in Clare it kind of creates a charging corridor along the west of Ireland

I'd always assumed the big providers literally wouldn't touch the west and it would be left up to Ecars

It is noticeable that this like seems pretty locked to 6 chargers without space to upgrade to 12 like some of the other sites, so it's setup to be a "small" site by Ionity standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I hope they have cleaned the toilets in there. Last time I stopped, place was so bad I got back in the car and kept driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

I see Ionity now charging .71 / kWh without any subscription. Has there been a recent reduction from the .79 / kWh tariff. Very close to ESB charger rates now.

Looks like Ionity have secured another site in NI, with planning submitted for a 12 bay site at the M1 services near Dungannon.

Use reference LA09/2023/0698/F at https://www.midulstercouncil.org/planning/search,-view-and-comment-on-planning-applications

located here; https://goo.gl/maps/6jf61i1SmKNxXhM58

• Moderators Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Guy in the middle left of the picture is clearly on the phone with Ionity support

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eltoastero

Having just gotten 2x 150kW at the BP opposite Dungannon Park I'm being spoiled with these updates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah it seems like finally the charging network is starting to move in the right direction.... from all the players..

The only issue is we need to see exponential growth almost in line with the exponential growth in sales...

That's an interesting one because it wasn't on the map published when they announced the expansion

I wonder if they moved the site planned near Derry, or if it's a new site

Hopefully the latter, more high quality hubs are badly needed

At this rate NI is going overtake ROI for chargers

Great to finally see things taking off, between Ionity expanding, Applegreen installing chargers at breakneck speed, and Ecars demonstrating unexpected competence with their last few sites things are looking up

Still waiting on 3 Ionity sites to be announced here down south; Galway, Cork and Limerick/Tipperary. Haven't seen anything in the planning lists so I'm guessing they're still looking for sites

It cannot be confirmed but there is a new forecourt proposal going through planning at the Gransha roundabout in Derry, with I think a 12 bay charging hub. It doesnt mention Ionity by name but the charger shown in the drawings is distinctively an Ionity one with the purple halo on top.

https://planningregister.planningsystemni.gov.uk/application/669262

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I don’t think it has been noted on this thread yet but CityNorth has had 4 additional chargers fully installed, but not yet commissioned. I’ll grab a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

They say “not in use coming soon”

I think it was mentioned in the other Ionity thread (why we have two is a mystery)

Nice to see the spaces got repainted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I thought I'd posted it here!! maybe it was in another thread!!

edit:: oooh, they look much nicer painted....

This is the thing now with this size of expansion/new install that's gonna be fun with ESBN... units could be in for ages before they actually get turned on!! (Athenry Supercharger is open 15 months now and still only at 50% capacity...because.... awaiting ESBN...)

I'd wager that a car will not be charged on one of these new chargers until at least 2024.

They've had the space available for a good while, would be surprising if they've waited this long to install the units and haven't co-ordinated with ESBN

I guess time will tell, there can be plenty of instances where the equipment is installed but not fully commissioned and waiting on ESBN to sign off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭crl84

I've little doubt they're waiting for ESBN.

A multi-million euro commercial property I worked on was running for 7 months on diesel generators (up until April) as ESBN hadn't got out to connect it up, despite having been notified of it over a year before opening date, and weekly, sometimes daily efforts on our side to push them along.

Don't know the full ins and outs, but the long story short is that they're slow as f-ck.

But this isn't a new connection, it's an upgrade. Ionity already had the existing chargers so they could easily wait for the grid connection to be upgraded before installing the new ones

Maybe the chargers arrived before the grid connection was done and Ionity didn't want to let them gather dust, but they'd probably have shoved them in Kill if that was the case since that's likely the busier site and probably less work to upgrade the connection

That or they were worried the units would get nicked for a hub in a different country

AFAIK Ionity is actually divided into different companies for each country, although I imagine most of them are just a shell company to give them a local presence

I think Ionity here is Ionity UK and Ireland, given most of the expansion plans published also show the UK expansion

So if I was running the Ireland division and just got 4 shiny new chargers I'd be tempted not to leave them sitting on pallets in case Ionity Germany or wherever calls dibs on them

It's more difficult to move them when they're stuck to the ground 😁

Although, having said that Applegreen chargers seem to move around more than the cars they charge 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

I believe ESB networks are massively under staffed and it can take months or years for new substations to be ordered and built. The transformers themselves are typically special order and Ukraine got a lot of demand suddenly.

There was also a scandal of esb network employees asking for massive bribes to connect up whole housing estates or the houses could not be sold for months. If you paid a bribe suddenly the work started. So months/years are common. I often see chargers going in (see plugshare app) and not being powered on for 6 months. They are putting bags over chargers (see Donegal town esb "hub" on plugshare), in place, bagged up. A coffee shop I know opened up with a diesel generator and even motorway services used them for months. It's a crazy state of affairs reminding me of people waiting years to get a landline in the 1980s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

It was 20 weeks wait time last year for domestic ESBN works. Joe Duffy did a segment on it, young couples doing their houses up then sleeping in a car over the Christmas as newly renovated houses sat without electricity for months.

It's a culture of not giving a f*ck more so than understaffing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭cannco253

Do they have a public/private SLA in place, not that it seems to matter?

Sounds like a project for someone to track the stats on the length of time connections are taking...

I agree, I've yet to see an ESB engineer on the young side of 35

I assume there's some extra training above a typical electrician apprenticeship to work at ESBN. I certainly wouldn't trust a 2nd year apprentice to work on a 38kV transformer without setting himself on fire

They probably need a recruiting drive, but even if they do they're facing the same pressures as every other sector. At the end of the day, it's a pretty crap job, you're up and down the country constantly doing small jobs everywhere

Even if the benefits and job security are decent, I suspect the pay isn't fantastic. A lot of people look at that and take the job that pays a bit less but is a lot simpler

They could try hiring internationally, plenty of experienced engineers and electricians elsewhere. But most of them look at the housing situation, and wonderful videos like those lads in Navan attacking the council workers, and look somewhere more welcoming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,353 ✭✭✭markpb

They had an average salary of €78k last year. The CEO’s salary was €318k and total salary/pension for the SMT was €4.18m. I understand fully what an average means, how it can be affected and they’re the people out in storms fixing power lines but those salaries are still reasonably high.

Yeah but the trick is where the starting salaries are at. They're probably not bad, but they probably aren't great either considering the amount of day to day hassle involved

If you're a newly qualified electrician, working on sites is probably easier because you'll be going to the same place for several weeks at least instead of not knowing where you're off to tomorrow

Ugh, they could really do with opening up those extra chargers in City North

Went up there for a quick charge, two cars already charging and another queueing

I didn't mind as I was only trying to test out a new charging card (She'll Recharge), but I'd be a bit annoyed if I was depending on it

And for some extra spice, and Applegreen charger in Lusk South is broken. Top notch work from Applegreen booting Ecars out before they got the second charger installed 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭vinniem

Looks like the 4 new chargers are up on the app for city north, showing unavailable for now..so hopefully any day soon will have a nice hub on M1 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭wassie

Was there again last night and at least they look ready to go. Chargefinder app updated overnight to show new chargers, 2 with a fault and 2 unknown.

Anyone tried using Shell Recharge with Ionity

Tried it today in City North with the app and the results were pretty disappointing, the app wasn't able to start the charger after about 20 attempts

I ordered the free card as well so we'll see how that goes

Glad I did the test run now so I found the issues before I needed a charge

Also tried the Ionity app, it actually worked on the second attempt. First attempt was with the QR code, that failed. Second attempt was by selecting the charger on the map and that worked

They only took a €1 deposit, much better than the €80 or so it was a year or two ago

Can someone explain why there's two QR codes on the chargers? There's one for direct pay which I used to start the charger, the other one is for members or something 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Be careful with qr codes, sometimes scammers stick up codes over the authentic ones.

Someone here had photos of suspicious stickers on chargers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement