Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New FCA1 and FCA2

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MickS12

Has anyone submitted an application since the new form has come out? How did ye get on with the proof of competence section? I'm going to be applying for a .22 rifle soon and the guy in the shop reckons that because I have a shotgun already that should be proof enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

He's right. Just say you're licenced on the shotgun.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BSA International

Eircode lottery .......... depends on Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MickS12

Thanks lads I'll send it in and I'll see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BSA International

Good luck. Should be grand unless you're dealing with an ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

Can’t imagine a .22lr bolt being an issue as it’s what they want us all owning anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

hey lads, what's the story with this line on the front of the form:

"Please note that to certify a Telescopic sight as defined by Section 1(g)(i) of the

Firearms act 1925 as amended, a new application on FCA1 seeking a restricted

Firearms Certificate to the Divisional Chef Superintendent is now required"

I'm stumped by that^

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭TheEngineer1

If you want a night vision or thermal scope you have to apply separately for that using a new firearm application form.

So if you want to buy a rifle with a thermal scope, you have submit two application forms to the Gardaí. One for the rifle with make, model, calibre, etc. as normal, and another application for the thermal sight with make, model, serial number, with all other options N/Aed. The thermal application also has to be a restricted license application.

If successful you will receive two licenses. One which is unrestricted for your rifle, and also a restricted license for the thermal scope. This used to be done with just a tick of a box but now we have to double up on license fees 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Goodness! So Section 1(g)(i) blah = night vision of some sort?

yeah that's a bit excessive... I'm really not seeing the benefit.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

No I don't think so, you fill in the FCA1 for your just say .22 if you want to put a thermal on it, if not just an FCCA form as normal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

No wrong. They are treating a thermal scope as a restricted firearm in it's own right, and you have to apply for your firearm (restricted or unrestricted) AND then apply for the scope as restricted, and of course pay the €80 per application.

But the question then arises that if you have an unrestricted firearm and attach a restricted scope to it, does your firearm then become restricted while you only have an unrestricted cert for it (kinda like a shotgun with 3 rds is unrestricted but with more than 3 rds is restricted, so will attaching a thermal scope do the same?

Remember the law says that the shooter is responsible for any mistakes, so they make this as difficult as they can to trip us up and then revoke your certs

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

True, and correct,just read it again

Advertisement