Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The Medium, while not that amazing a game, played very much like a dry run for a Silent Hill game. Can't see them going too far wrong with it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,762 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Looks like the Dolby Atmos upgrade is live now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It certainly is, effect is amazing on a proper 5.1 system or higher

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

May I ask a question as a non-gamer/someone not overly familiar with this area?

"Santa" bought a PS5 disc console package with FIFA23 earlier this year for my son as a Christmas present. After reading and hearing about stock shortages last Christmas I didn't want to take any chances so bought it early - knowing the FIFA game would be updated etc, but as he has no interest in soccer or FIFA as a game I wasn't too worried about that. My son however is a giant Spider-Man fan and now wants the Spider-Man PS5 Console with the covers, game etc., which I bought for him on release. So now I have 2 x PS5s.......

Can anyone tell me where would be the best place to offload the other console? It's brand new/sealed/hasn't been opened etc. and obviously the game hasn't been opened or downloaded (not sure if you get a disc or a digital download). It cost €699.99 at the time (the Spider-Man bundle was less - very strange considering it had more in the bundle) and while I'm prepared to take a bit of a hit on it, I obviously don't want to lose my shirt on it. Any advice?

I know GAME used to buy them but they're gone now and I'm loathe to out it on adverts as I don't want to be dealing with lowballers and people offering me a swap for a wooly jumper and a snack box..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭jj880

Youre going to have a tough time offloading that bundle with FC24 (FIFA24) releasing this month.

I would try to keep it as local as possible. Share it for sale on your personal facebook page and a few local facebook buy and sell groups.

You never know who could message you. A few times Ive ended up selling to people I know and there was no messing. Got a good price too.

Out of interest where did you buy that FIFA23 bundle at that price? Seems very steep unless there was an extra controller with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply and your suggestions - very helpful. Don't use facebook myself but the OH has an account so I'll get her to list it.

Honestly not 100% sure if there was an extra controller, but that does kinda ring a bell - tbh I haven't looked at it since it was bought. I'll dig it out and list it accordingly. I was aware it would likely be outdated with FIFA24 coming but as he had no interest in same I was more concerned with securing a console and that was the only one available at the time.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Where did you buy the original bundle? If it wasn't to long ago you might be able to return it?

Argos, in May just before they closed so can’t return there for obvious reasons! Was a little worried about not being able to get one this Christmas having seen the panic last year so when I saw them available I thought I was being prudent getting one then - lol.

Yep I have it hooked up to a Sonos Arc and some Sonos One SLs and it’s seriously loud now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭jones

Loving the Atmos update it's very good on a proper surround sound system. Lot of use of heights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

My Atmos enabled tv sounds no different 😑

Just going to have to bite the bullet and get a soundbar

Because you need a 5.1 system or better for it to work properly, and no a sound bar or any 2.1 system won't help either

Exactly you need 5.1.2 surround system or better to get real Atmos.

Depending on the size of your room a higher end sound bar will more than do the job. I have a Sonos Arc and Atmos works very well for me, but I have it in a relatively small room. I also have Sonos SLs for back left / right.

I had a full 5.1 system before but I switched to the Arc and it is much better.

Without diverting the thread - a proper 5.1 system will always be better than any soundbar IMO.

Of course it depends on your budget, room size etc not to mention a soundbar can be a lot tidier and cheaper but sound quality wise I've never heard a soundbar (even high end ones) that have gotten close to my system for quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I have the Sonos Arc and similarly two SLs in th corner of the room and it's one of the best sound systems going, far and above any previous 5.1 setups. Atmos on it is second to none. Sonos is just the outlier in that their soundbar and rear speakers do the job.

You can add the Sonos Sub too if you want more bass but I can't as it'd just be far too loud. I have to massively reduce the bass on the Arc already.

Ah yeah multi speaker set ups will always be better than a single device yours sounds like a good set up. I've seen some very basic devices with the Atmos label on them but they are not "real" atmos. Maybe I'm just a snob with it.

Basically I'm happy the ps5 has this update and it makes a real difference for me.

Ah I actually have the Sub-Mini, I forgot about it. Have you tried that? I had the same issue as the Sub itself was far too loud (borrowed a friend to test it out) but the mini really did the trick.

I don't think it's snobby at all and I've seen it too. It's a bit like the 'HD Ready' labels back in the day when 1080p became more popularised and manufacturers slapped the 'HD Ready' label on new TVs (in my opinion) disingenuously when they weren't true HD.

• Advertisement

Well they're 720p rather than 1080, but certainly a step up from the 540 which was the standard at the time. But yeah, total swizz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

really want a horse racing game for ps5 . clearly never going to happen .

you can have a game on farming fecking goats around a field , but not one of the most followed sports in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I haven't been playing close attention but I was under the impression the new update was useful for those using normal 5.1 and make it sound like Atmost/height speakers?

Or is this just more improvements for those using stereo?

I bought a "home theater in a box" Pioneer 5.1 system for around €500 a few years ago, surround sound doesn't have to break the bank. Some of those 2.1 soundbars are pricey enough.

The update is just to support Atmos. So if you have an Atmos system, you can now get Atmos audio.

I don't think there is any change for anyone who doesn't have an Atmos sound setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So this is turning out interestingly. The process of returning the DualSense to Sony via the website was pretty smooth. Getting the a controller sent back went swimmingly as well. It's all fallen apart with the delivery. I got a notification on Friday that it would be delivered on Monday. That came and went. This morning it said it would be delivered. I went out for a coffee, came back and checked the link again. It said it had been delivered at 12:41 and was by the porch. I checked, double checked and triple checked. I then went and had a look at the security camera and there was no sign of anyone having approached the house at all. My best guess is it's been delivered to another house on the estate somewhere.

I rang UPS and well, I was quite possibly directed to a call centre in Asia somewhere and it wasn't completely clear what was said. I do know however that I have to keep my 'line open' for a potential call.

horse racing is what im after. racing as a sport.

• Advertisement

There's horse racing in it. Competing against others, in a sport setting

Advertisement