Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It is for tracking them down to pay the broadcast charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Probably essential for keeping in touch with relatives and news from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Every time Sarah Carey is on, they always forget to mention that she's a screaming blue shirt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Ah yes , that would explain why SF lackeys and fellow travellers dislike her. As we well know , SF would have no truck with anything that smacks of lying or hypocrisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,043 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another day off for Ballsy this morning, despite being off a lot of his scheduled summer slots.

Great job if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Ah he's no loss anyway-I just wonder what we're paying him for, listen, c'mere to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,751 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Crazy stuff. …. 240k …. That’s why some folk are withholding license fee.

”C’mere to me Ballsy, you can only get away with this for a short while”.

• Advertisement

What an absolute borefest this has become with panel after panel of talking heads, one the same as the other, never a contrarian view in case it might frighten the horses.. Rte certainly know how to kill a show, of course Brendan "we must be careful here" O Connor didn't help

That's when he's actually at work. He has more holidays pro rata than Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

What a pleasure this morning to hear guests being able to form their thoughts without being interrupted every scond sentence by BOC.

She actually asked one panellist 'What do you think ? ' rather than 'What's your reaction to what I think?'

The film and TV section

They have a film 'expert' on, who was asked if the latest Branagh Piorot movie is better than the previous ones, to which the 'expert' replies "I haven't seen any of the previous ones".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He decided to show up this week.

That's all I have to say really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Some people are not accepting of the new Ireland apparently.

75% of the population in a recent poll.🇮🇪🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Great interview with Lol Tolhurst.

Was it me or was Ballsy extra ‘jumpy’ this morning…. Not much point getting in a ‘panel’ if you keep interrupting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Gav Reilly out the gap on newstalk...enjoyed switching over there after the newspaper panel on 1. The two together made an enjoyable enough couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Exactly, the radio panels are flat-out lying to us this morning. The majority of the population have already made it clear they are against the Govmt policies in question i.e. immigration policy, hate-speech (and they're too scared to conduct a poll to ask about gender in schools) The Govmt have equally made it clear we are not allowed to disagree and will not relent from funding endless NGO research to explain that anyone objecting to their radical policies are right-wing extremists. Modern Ireland indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Brendan straight in with "steady there" when Pat Shortt says he didn't know if someone was Latvian or Lithuanian.

Beefy is afraid of his life.

Well, this is going back a few years now but when Roe and Jenn used to review movies and TV on The Last Word neither of them had seen a single episode of The Sopranos, The Wire, or Breaking Bad; all 3 shows at the time being essentially Top 5 in almost all tv critics’ lists.

You cannot be a tv critic if you haven’t not just watched, but studied the above shows.

Anyway, Branagh’s Poiroit is beyond bad. I’d give a film critic a pass on that.

edit: typo

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Advertisement

But it was that the critics hadn't bothered to watch any of the previous interpretations of Poirot which was a bit shameful, anyway it's Suchet all the way for herself, Brannagh is acting like hell while Suchet IS Poirot

I’m old enough to have seen many versions of Poirot or in particular MOTOE. I’d go so far as to say Brannagh’s Poiroit is a bad parody of Suchet’s. I haven’t watched the full first Brannagh remake….I started it on a plane and gave up rather early into it as he and it are so bad I couldn’t stay with it, and that’s a very rare thing for me movie or book wise, if I start something I’ll almost always finish it.

He did wallander too, couldn't warm to him at all in that either

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Sometimes think RTÉ enjoys trolling. The interview with the Ukrainian woman, yes having to be in tents is awful. But you’ve left a war, as have 85k other Ukrainians before you to come to Ireland. We’re in the middle of a housing crisis, what do people expect. Also a doctor is there two days a week, more than some people can access. It really bugged me, which I believe is RTEs goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Archduke forgot to mention that his friends were fully behind the idea of being sued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

It's the NGO mention does it, clearly an up to the minute and enthusiastic scholar from YouTube University.

Lukey, Lukey, Lukey just back from Las Vegas took in a U2 show bet he didn't pay for it, now on about climate change.. Bono said to him "we can't deny India air conditioning".. Didn't know twas up to Bono what a palaver for a Saturday morning and don't start me about MickyD off down to Portugal for a month with another crowd of shysters and shysters mates when a zoom call would have been good enough for them... Ah but the amount of flying us down here at the bottom of the pile do is "problematic"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The little needle on my old analogue 'NKM-O-METER' was flicking like **** this morning - LO'N and Richard Hogan. That Hogan lad is on with Brendan (€1560 p/hr) O'Connor once a month. Also turns up on the other NKM Petri dish that is, VM's Tonight show regularly

The fact that Luke was practically part of the fixtures and fittings on Claire (€700 p/hr radio) Byrne's CB Live show, is wot done it for me

CB Live - recorded on the scaffold!

Ginneral as I’m sure you know all these liggers are connected in some way.

The all know that any breach in the perimeter fencing means bad things happen to them all.

Thats why these print media types like to congregate around Ballsy’s show and surreptitiously come up with phrases

like “There’s a wonderful article from XXXX from the Business post” etc etc.

Trying to give the impression that they are way above the Ordinary Joe and know the inner workings of stuff.

They do in their mbollix, but will try to keep their snouts in the trough for as long as they can.

Lukey's craving for showbiz, especially for a man of his vintage, has certainly not gone unnoted amongst his friends.

Perfect opportunity to repeat: there's no climate crisis until the private jets are grounded. When the people making the rules act scared (i.e. fly commercial or Zoom meetings) then the rest of us will act scared. btw: there's absolutely ZERO chance of that happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Very quiet on this thread recently even after the Sunday panel shows

There was somebody on Sunday saying how the French bar staff were amazed how much the fans drank but so easy to serve them as the orders were ten pints of Guinness or ten pints of lager. They had been expecting orders of cocktails and Irish Coffees.

The other guests laughed but Brendan immediately went into subject change mode.

Brendan panicking in case a nightclub from 1990 sues him.

• Advertisement

Ballsy gutted over Irelands loss, I’d suggest a lot of ‘plans’ scuppered out in RTE, to hit Paris for the now defunct semi final.Poor Dezzie will be distraught as he was promised to be ‘let go’ to Paris if Ireland made the semis.

’De partie, de camper vans’ de credit oonions’ de French barkeeps who looked aghast at the amount of ‘dhrink’ Pat was gulling but lost thousands now that Pat has gone home.

Terrible altogether, so it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

What was the point in Mary Black choosing music yesterday, when they played only a small segment of it and then starting talking again?

The audible gasp from the panel today when they were confronted with the fact that majority of EU countries don't like the globalist immigration agenda, ah diddums, LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'd say he'd be more worried about some of his Sindo opinion pieces from the 90s and 00s coming back to haunt him.

Listen, c'mere-we can't say that. He's a quiet boy since the whole Rory thing.

He used to have fewer boundaries shall we say. In his efforts to retain his plum gig, he may well jeopardise it as a result of a gelded and overly cautious approach. There's no spark about him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭littlevillage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Thanks for that.

It explains a lot about why (no) Ballsy is scared sh1tless of any guest straying into any potentially interesting litigious corners of any discussion. He lost his TV show..... next time, its his radio show.

Mark little seems to want public entities to have more control over what appears on social media, there's not enough public media says he and he would like the likes of the BBC and Rte to help to fund people to report on their communities, no thanks I would never trust public media to give the full story, too much vested interests... There can never be too much Information imv, the more the better, let citizens consume it and make their own minds up and give them the educational tools to analyse situations and a events past the childlike George Bush mindset of "you are with us or against us", neat black and white worldview, no the likes of Little imv just want to be in control of the flow of information in an ever increasing infantilisation of the populace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

What on earth are this mum and daughter on the show for. It’s all nonsense. And they were on before. Just why?

Advertisement