Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Oxide on copper pipes in Hot Press

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,039 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It doesn't look too bad so I wouldn't worry for now. It can be caused by either a leak or prolonged exposure to humid moist air or both. But you do need to remove it and keep an eye on it. You can use acetone or a mix of vinegar and salt, wash down and dry. A good DIY shop would have solutions for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,039 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It doesn't look too bad so I wouldn't worry for now. It can be caused by either a leak or prolonged exposure to humid moist air or both. But you do need to remove it and keep an eye on it. You can use acetone or a mix of vinegar and salt, wash down and dry. A good DIY shop would have solutions for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you are really worried and I don't think there is any need, then clean up the pipes with some Brasso and monitor how any fresh verdigris develops. If the pipes that have a lot of verdigris on them are cold then its a good chance the problem is caused be condensation. Around the joints it could be that they are weeping but condensation can again be the issue. If it slowly comes back with no sign of leaking water then you can insulate the pipes which will help reduce the condensation on them and act as a barrier with your cloths.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Thanks lads,

Is the residue itself harmful?

If pipes were to degrade in future could the oxide impact water supply by leaking into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Actually, I know what that is. It's the acid flux used when soldering pipes, it acts to allow the solder to flow better around the joints as well as remove any areas of corrosion. It's considered to be non-toxic and washes out of the insides of the pipe once water has been flushed through them. It will be worse on COLD pipes than warm as the cold will pickup moisture and allow the acid to oxidise out to that green-blue colour. It's supposed to be wiped off the pipes after soldering, but many plumbers don't do it properly and it then runs and stains the copper over time. Honestly it's not something to worry about except that it might stain clothes.

Agreed, just clean it off and insulate any cold water pipes which are running through the hot-press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Only thing is you can get exactly the same on any copper pipe even if compression fittings have been used.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In the photos provided there is no green/blue oxidation around the compression fittings. If you're seeing it on compression fittings then I'd suggest that it's weeping or a cold supply where's it's condensing. The acid is the reactant here and it causes the oxidation to have a slightly blue colour due to it picking up an extra electron over standard copper oxidation which is green. The MSDS of any plumbing flux will show the mixture of acids involved, any of these would cause copper to oxidise in the presence of oxygen and small amounts of moisture.

Advertisement