Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence renewal change of wording

Options
  • 16-09-2023 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all im new enought to shooting and want your opinion on this. I have a .22 for the past 3 years and I submitted my renewal and everything went grand, received my licence out in the post and just looked over it and noticed that the wording has changed on it '' maximum ammunition /rounds capacity of 5'' this was not on my previous licence just wondering is this something new?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭TheEngineer1

Yeah they've started doing that recently, no idea why but it can't be good. Seeing as you have an unrestricted license I would contact the issuing Garda station ASAP and say that your maximum ammo capacity is 10 and get them to re-issue the license.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

It's one of their latest changes they've implemented, they are essentially looking to limit your magazine capacity even more than the legislation already does.

My last one came back with 1 round, called up the FO and he said that's what the new box on pulse defaults to.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Wadi14

if your current magazine capacity is 5 rounds that's what they will state on your license if you at a later date wish to purchase a 10 round magazine, inform them in writing and they will re issue your license.

If your current magazine is 10 rounds and they have stated 5, get them to amend your license.

Have to disagree here. Get the maximum amount permitted by legislation ASAP. In this case, an unrestricted rimfire license so get 10 rounds. Watch now at renewal time when they will start pulling the same bullshit they do with ammo limits and start reducing people's mag capacities too. Get the max allowable and keep your old licenses as references so you can call them out on moving the goalposts.

Maybe I should have tried to explain it a bit better, if when asked by FO what magazine capacity are your magazines and you say 5 rounds, that's what they will put on your license.

I'm not trying to condone their practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭irishgti

Nobody FO ever asked what capacity magazine I have and it was never aske on licence application.

So does that mean if I have a 10 round magazine its now illegal for me to possess?

To be honest it's hard to say, it could be interpreted as a condition of your license. If you are in breach of that condition then your license could be revoked if you are caught. That's why it's best to nip it in the bud and get it marked up to 10 rounds ASAP. They won't refuse you if you ask them.

I was asked what's the capacity of my magazines, I wasn't told why he was asking but when my license came out it was stated 5 round capacity., when I questioned it I was told that's what I have if I wanted to get a 10 round magazine let them know and they will amend my license .

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

This is another sly behind your back move to trip you up. It is a new box to fill in on PULSE that has no corresponding question or box on the FCA1 form, so when the FAO skips it because he has no info to input it automatically defaults to 1.

Remember in firearms law the shooter is responsible for all mistakes and/or omissions and this can then be used to revoke your cert/s

Be very careful and as theEingineer1 said, nip it in the bud and get our orgs to highlight it up the line

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭skipking

anyone know what the mag capacity of an air rifle mine came with a 18 shot mag to be safe i bought 2 9 shot mags off the internet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ten shot, like a rimfire. After that it's restricted.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Scolopax

Hi Cass, I was under the impression that the magazine restriction specifically referred to rimfire, centrefire and shotguns with no mention of air rifles. Could you point out the relevant legislation please as I'm falling foul if this is indeed the case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You could be right actually.

Reading back on the various SIs and they specifically mention rimfire, centrefire, shotgun and pistols but air rifles are in a separate part/paragraph and don't seem "attached" to the limitations imposed on the former.

Same with the new mag ban. It only refers to centrefire rifle, semi autos, pistols, etc.

Interesting.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks for the comments, I rang the FO and im waiting on a call back regarding this.

my friends air rifle license came back mag capacity of 1 brought it to the FO and he refused to change it

Got a phone call back from FO to say it was a mistake (5 rounds) and that he will issue a new licence which I just received in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Max H

My licence has just come through the post for my FX T12 air rifle, which when i bought has a 14 pellet magazine, My renewed licence now has the wording "maximum ammunition/rounds capacity of 6. So where do i stand. I will be phoning our local FO tomorrow. Also this seems to be the only magazine FX do for the T12, so in effect i can't leglly use my air rifle at the moment

Hey just ring the FO and explain the situation thats what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is no mag limit for air rifle.

Called them up, point out there’s no restriction on air-rifles, and that the non-restricted air rifle you own only comes in in 14 shot in that calibre.

Most of the time this is simply due to admin error/ignorance with a new tick box on the system. You’ll always have a few pricks being OTT. Hopefully you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Max H

Hi i visited my Firearms Officer this lunchtime. Very pleasant lady. I took my magazine and pellets with me to show her, also i took a copy of the FX page showing the only mag they do for the FX T12 in .22 is 14 pellets. She is going to re-issue my licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nice one. I'd assume that's the sensible outcome if the overwhelming majority of cases. As I said above, simple admin error is more likely that some FO getting above his station (although sadly not impossible)

i bought 2/ 9 shot magazines for my fx from carm magazines just to be on the safe side

Advertisement