Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead earthworms on surface

Options
  • 15-09-2023 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Just walked couple fields here, some amount of earthworms dead on the surface.

Have they drown after the flood of rain we had, never spotted before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Did you spread slurry there recently?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Ya dripple bar on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, slurry seems to kill them. A few people have posted about this in the past. Not good for the soil in the long run.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭148multi

Pig slurry especially hard on worms

• Advertisement

Twas very watery, and the rain on top, though it might be the water.

I was surprised to see soo many, have been trying to get life back into that field under the surface

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

have seen it in past. heavy rain plus slurry seems to kill them. Could it be a lack of oxygen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

That's the down side of the slatted tank.slurry spread suffocating the ground surface. The side slinger was the job.allows ground to breath afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Ivomectin in the slurry also kills the bugs and insects in the soil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

agree on the mectin type doses , they really fook biodiversity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's oxygen and probably some burn or poison element.

I've only seen the worms come to the surface lately with slurry spreading. I never had it before. It was dairy washings. But there's teat spray residue which is new in the mix, and I'm mixing in humic,fulvic acid too. They do not seem to like this. It's probably a bit strong mixed in. But..

What I'm doing is seemingly breaking the ground up and allowing more soakage. So I'll keep at it. I spread it on the beetle ground and they are still burying away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭davidk1394

What does the humic and fulvic acid do ? Do you mix it in with the slurry ? I'm trying to be more aware of what I do and the impacts it has on soil and the insects.

Humic acid is more for soil.

Fulvic acid is a finer more processed version of humic acid used really through the leaf.

If you leave dung or compost or anything to rot it'll ooze humic acid. How it works in soil is it breaks down stone, clay, grit into humus soil. It'll release the minerals and make them biologically available that's to life and plants.

There's a carbon element in it too so it'll bind up any free nitrates in the slurry and hold them that bit longer in soil. It should buffer any chemicals that may happen to be there too and break them down faster.

It's made from brown coal. Bit of an issue there being a fossil fuel but it's very small quantities used and it's covering a very large area and being applied is aiding more carbon being sequestered from it being applied as well as the N retention and chem buffering.

The product just happened to be humic and fulvic together and it's really made for foliar but I'm just using what I have with the washings too.

"The product just happened to be humic and fulvic together "

What's the product and where to buy, small area here but wanting to try these put

Imported from China direct from the manufacturer.

I'm not sure if this particular product is available in Ireland?

There are other sources of product in Ireland though and then there's the option of seaweed,molasses maybe through slurry if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭endainoz

Odd question, how long would it take seaweed to break down in slatted tank, would it possibly be a better job using a bag of seaweed meal to add to the tank?

A bag of seaweed meal will do very little in the tank plus you have to buy it.

You'd be better if you wanted to buy to buy cold pressed liquid seaweed. But if it's for the slurry tank then collect it yourself. And either in the tank straight or if you want to drag out and extend the benefit over a longer period. Put the seaweed into an ibc with molasses and let the liquid into the tank every so often or whenever and top up again with water and molasses and repeat and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭endainoz

Interesting, definitely something to try out, living near the sea, I'd have plenty of easy access to seaweed. Probably a very vague question but how much molasses would one need? Would I be right on guessing its just trial and error?

Any amount of molasses in an ibc. But 20 litres in a 1000 litre ibc of seaweed would draw out the minerals and make it more chelated bio available.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

Well rotted dung is some stuff for land, big fat earthworms.

Its like CPR for poor marginal land.

• Advertisement
Advertisement