Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It would have been unjust if Zhou lost his seat and Bottas kept his.

Does that just leave Williams and Alpha Tauri left to confirm line up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It'll make for an awkward Christmas dinner in the Stroll house if he's pushed out of his own team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It's ok. Lawrence will leave a tennis racket under the tree for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Bottas is only there to make up numbers at this stage, it's about time he left and let a seat free up someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes I agree. He generally does better at the beginning of a season than the middle or end of it so it would be better if someone else was in his seat. It will be another year at least anyway untill that happens now as Alfa have already signed him for next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

All this madness with Massa and now caught the eye of Mercedes it seems.

I really can't comprehend all of this, it is truly bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye I really hope if Mercedes do try to change that it goes no where. Feck of Mercedes. It would look extremely bad for the sport too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Harika

After Lawson getting into the groove, will he stay at least for Suzuka? 2024 he put down his card and will be hard to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I thought I heard that Suzuka was still too soon for Daniel to be back racing so Lawson will get another run out. He’s done a great job all things considered so would be nice to see him get a race seat for next year. Couldn’t do any worse than De Vries or Sargeant.

I'd caution getting too excited. DeVries put down a good marker in Monza last year and look how that went. AT are getting a change at the top as well next year with Franz Tost retiring.

Was listening to BBC Chequered Flag Podcast qualifying review and within that Andrew Benson said something very concerning. He reckons once the Strolls get over their delusion that Lance will ever be a World Champion, Lawrence will sell the team to the Saudis.

I doubt Stroll thinking his son will ever be champion or that he builds the team for this task. Its to promote Aston Martin as brand. He was realistic that it would take time to build the r&d up to be competitive. Until Honda comes in, they won't. His son will be still 27 , he was not afraid to cut Othmar he will be happy to cut his son or send him to sportscar racing. This year is the first time Lance is actually underperforming in an obvious way.

Did not hear anything. Lawson is doing a great gradual improvement without breaking things. Giovanazzi was similar then started breaking things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

Definitely a bit of a headache for Alpha Tauri Lawson doing so well so early on, Ricciardos stardom and experience is obviously desirable, aswell as him coming in with a point to prove. Perhaps Tsunoda may be dropped for Lawson and Ricciardo renewed for the year? He's had a fair stint and has hardly set the world alight, maybe it's time to change it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,261 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Why is that concerning? The Saudis have already bought into F1. Stroll is just a money man. He's not a designer or engineer or anything.

Interestingly, Stroll has been in F1 since the 90s so he might be committed to F1 for himself, even if Lance isn't his driver.

He was shielded from serious competition by an aging Vettel the last 2 years and even then he got hammered last year. Vettel outscored him 2:1

My ethical viewpoint about Saudi Arabia and how it flexes it's muscles in the men's sports mostly. Look at how many world famous soccer players are linked to Saudi money these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah in fairness to Stroll he has generally shown himself to be a much better driver than people give him credit for, he hasn’t set the world alight but he’s in the middle 50%, certainly above the likes of Sargent or Bottas. He’s been in the unfortunate position of having the two strongest drivers of the previous 15 years as his teammates in recent seasons which would make anyone look bad.

His performance has started to drop recently though. I’m not sure if he ever recovered 100% from that wrist injury, I recall footage of him struggling to get out of the car because of his hand and taking it off the wheel on straights to rest it quite a few races after he was given the all clear.

Post edited by quokula on

They're already bought into F1. Or to put it the other way, F1 has already sold out to The Saudis.

Sportswashing works.

• Advertisement

I thikk you're massaging the numbers there. Stroll might be near the 50%mark, but I doubt he's in the top half of drivers. He also had 2 best drivers of the last 15 years as teammates, but they were both aging. Vettel ended his career as Strolls teammate and had been on the slide for several years. And alonso is still very strong but has to be past his prime. Stroll is being hammered by a late stage Alonso, imagine the gaps is alonso was in his prime.

Stroll is in the top 50 most experienced drivers of all time and he's not good. He's totally matured and he's gotten more chances than any other driver with his skills.

Hilariously I wondered how old he was and thought he was 30, but he is only 25. He did some great rides like Turkey some years ago, he scored podiums and so on. I think he deserves his place in F1 and he is still young as weird as it sounds as he is also amongst the most experienced drivers ever. For now he is the driver that fits Aston, this can change quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Suzuka this weekend 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

If Stroll Snr is serious about Aston Martin being competitive then he's going to have to eventually evaluate his sons position, they went from looking very good to finish atleast P3 in the constructors but Lance pissed away their early season advantage. With 7 races left and Mclaren only 70 odd points behind in the constructors championship Aston could also be leapfrogged by them which at the start of the season was unthinkable. But Lance ain't going nowhere for obvious reasons.

Stroll has been in the bottom 20% in every year he's competed. The only team mate that he has ever beaten was the rookie pay driver Sergei Sirotkin, and even then it was arguable. He's now being trounced by someone who is old enough to be his father.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

He's only had 5 teammates (aside from temporary covid replacements and the like who he has generally beatan) - of those he was neck and neck with Massa and scored a podium despite being a rookie in a poor car, he beat Sirotkin, he was behind Perez (who had also beaten both Hulkenberg and Ocon repeatedly for the previous 4 years and was well embedded in that team before Stroll arrived), and then in the last two years he lost to the two most talented drivers of their era by far - there's only one or two drivers on the grid who would have had a chance of coming out on top there.

He also won the championship in every Formula he competed in prior to F1, he's scored multiple podiums in midfield cars, and a pole position in tough wet conditions without a top car too. He gets ridiculously harsh judgement because of who his father his and he has no doubt had many advantages from that, but in reality he's never looked like bottom 20% in his time in F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭kksaints

The problem with Stroll is that he hasn't progressed since 2020 where he did look like a driver who could pick up a race win or two. He's struggled badly this season even given that Alonso has been on top form. The Stroll family kept a team in the sport when it looked like Force India were going to go bust so I've no problem at all with Lance in the team aslong as they want.

He was nowhere near "neck and neck" with Massa. Massa out qualified him by an average of 0.7 seconds over the season. The only reason he was anywhere close wrt points scored was because of Massa's bad luck, such as Baku where he would have won the race but for a mechanical, ironically resulting in Stroll getting his much lauded first podium.

Sirotkin beat Stroll 13-8 in qualifying. Stroll beat him 9-8 in races where they both finished. So he was on a very similar level to a rookie pay driver, who rightly didn't keep his seat for more than one year.

Perez is an average driver. Can't hang with the best, as has been proven by Max. He was on a very similar level to Hulk. In their time as team mates Hulk beat him 35-24 in quali, 23-22 in race finishes. Ocon also got the better of him in their second year together. Yet Perez had no problems dominating Lance.

Vettel was already past his prime at Ferrari, being beaten by an inexperienced team mate.

Alonso is on the decline too at his age. I highly doubt Ocon would have gotten nearly so close to 2012 Fernando.

So in short, in his seven years in F1 (assuming he makes it to the end of this one) he'll have only once (barely) beaten a team mate. Has there ever been a driver with a worse record?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The Stroll question is incredibly simple.

If AM gave him the boot tomorrow, would any team on the grid pick him up on merit (supposing they all had a seat available)? I think we all know that the answer is no.

I also think that you could have asked that question at any point in Stroll's career, and the answer would be the same.

He's not a "bad" driver (by any stretch), but no-one would pick him if he wasn't a pay driver.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

“He’s been in the unfortunate position of having the two strongest drivers of the previous 15 years as his teammates in recent seasons which would make anyone look bad.“

Your Hamilton hatred really is pathetic at this point

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement