Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you are feeding that level of extra ration, you are probably requiring less silage and less grass. That probably translates into a lower fertilizer bill and a lower contractor bill. As well your slurry will have a higher nutrient value

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Correct me if im wrong but wud a farmer be better of with 100 at 7500 or 115 at 6500 saying his farm is maxed out i believe the meal usage is the same for both per cow.

The problem might be the 115 hitting near enough the the 6500 limit they might be 2-300 below the band. In a good year you can milk the high yielders away regardless

Slava Ukrainii

Done my sums again the farm wud have the same milk output for either group but total meal usage wud be 15 tonnes less with the 100 cow group plus all the other costs thats per cow calf tags. Milk record dosing etc etc and if inastructure was needed the 100 cows wud definetly be a no brainer

Yes i think alot of guys are settleing to aim 6500 at max out at that and be holding cows back as if you go over its a mess

• Advertisement

But you need cows capable of milking that in a bad year as well as a good year. Will this effect your solids. If you go even a litre over you need to export a lot of slurry. As well processors will not want lads drying off early or calving late so there is early and late season quota to be filled.

High yielders negate all this.

Slava Ukrainii

I agree i really think guys aiming for low yields are going down the wrong road just for the sake of keeping numbers up.I see guys with third cuts to do this silage is dirt if they wud be better with less cows at higher yield

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Yea i think he's confused in that he thinks he can milk 3 cows to 1 high producing cow, when in reality its 3 to 2.6. I also think he's high on concentrate fed . I produced over 630 kgs a cow last year with 1.5 tonne fed a cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

Every month on the dot we have this conversation here about low Vs high yielding cows. I enjoy it.

But it all comes down to your system and your land type.

Guys on here feeding maize, whole crop silage to cows most of the year. Big cows have big appetites. If you can only grow grass stick with the handy cow.

Guys will tell you that the management is the same. They are totally different. Stomach pumps, mastitis, lameness, tetany. You need to be on the ball.

But if your system is able for it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Yeah know what you mean but I doubt they will allow that, be a case of have enough separate storage or it doesn't count I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Land type not really about that more the ammount of it

big cows .big appetite .big return with less cows .grass management ,forage quality and good quality high energy well balanced but will do most of it without a diet feeder .maize or whokecrop a big help thru spring early summer on high quality lush grass to ensure strong sustained peak and stop butterfat crashing

cow is fed and managed well she’ll be healthy and productive no matter what type she is

landscape is changed now …..not about cow nos and expanding cow nos …get as much milk and solids from your land base within nitrates rules …still here a few lads lately talking about driving on getting more land not dropping cow nos building tanks ….may need a rethink with returns from milk and building costs and they can’t jistcwing it now getting cows on ground first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭green daries

Now now everyone knows you only have to have them if you have high yielding cows ..... there's no other costs except meal in dairying...... For the hero's .😬😁😑😉😉

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭green daries

The penny will drop with these farmers after a while. Milk price will always vary with peaks and troughs. It a matter of not getting carried away with peaks and managing the troughs. It will still be very profitable.

What will change will be that working outside your derogation limit will be challenging. The Fertilizer register will over time force the physical export of slurry as opposed to paper transactions that happened sometimes in the past. The reason for this is lads that took slurry on paper before will find it limits there ability to buy fertilizer especially P&K. Farmers with low stocking levels have lower artificial fertilizer requirements. The slurry imported will eat into there P&K allowance. It will be much the same with tillage importers.

In areas where dairying is very intensive export of any volume will be hard to do.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭farisfat

Dose lifestyle enter the equation.....outside of calving and breeding season I only see the cows oad and I'm making a nice living.

I know a few miserable little gits hoing around there farms are kips by the way anyway they are looking to be paid to take slurry

No the pride in mikling such a number of cows is far more important than lifestyle or profit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I know of two farmers looking to be paid to export slurry. They see it as a valuable commodity as @Bass Reeves points out, but they don't see they are over and above what they are permitted to have which means it's now a waste product on their farm.

Do u mean the guys importing are above limit for importing

No. I mean the guys exporting. The new lower limit of 220kg N/ha will push these 2 farmers over the limits, and are trying to export slurry to bring them back down and compliant. One lad is looking for €30/1000g. Don't know how much the other lad is looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You're forgetting it's the soil test that dictates what P can be spread. There's no limit on K. If it's a paper exercise those soil tests will be low in P so no impact on artificial P purchasing.

There's farms in derogation where it's proving very difficult to rise P indexes without any exports and that's with no funny business and everything above board.

Did you go to ag college Bass?

Thats worse than the guys looking to be paid to take it ive never heard of any pigmen looking for money once they got maps

Didnt soil test here in 20years dont see the point land needs maintenance levels of p and k 20 years ago we were index 5 p and k just spread nitrogen reps man said i was over the moon within a year we were getting low silage yields no grass in spring and backend.

I got pig slurry years ago. Admittedly I paid but no maps or herd number given. My tank was empty in April and it was very wet spring. I paid 60 euro for 7k gallon loads put straight into the tank.

Doing the calculation of the cost it was was just a bit with break even after spreading compared to artificial fertilizer value to replace it. Was the farmer spreading as well as exporting.

Slurry will be a bit like calves when there is rakes of it around the price will drop.

Slava Ukrainii

No did not got to ag college. Did Ag Science in secondary school 40+ years ago for a while.

The problem with exporting on paper is with low stocking levels you will be limited the artificial you can buy no matter what your soil tests say with the fertilizer register. If there is too much messing they will bring in nutrients plans for all farmers by lowering the organic N level for a nutrient plan

As @daiymann 5 posted about lads with poor places doing it on paper and getting paid, these lads would be going out and buying a couple ton of 18-6-12 for silage ground. If you are at a low-level of stock you will not need it if you import slurry. There is nutrients levels for all stock levels

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Pig slurry around me is free if you collect it yourself. There's a €120/6k gallons delivery charge otherwise. Either way you give your herd number for the import/export forms.

In my story above, the farmer exporting is doing nothing bar selling the slurry. If you want it you pay for the slurry and pay for the spreading of it.

@30/1k gallons and you having to spread it then it would stay in his tank if it was me. Fertilizer value of it at present would be less 40/1k gallons spread in the land. Ya last year it early this year it might be borderline buying it but you would want to be next door to him.

As well unless he was feeding a lot of nuts and no dairy washing in it might be very average stuff.

At 20/1k gallons the pig slurry is grand if you have the map area to take it and especially if you have your own way of spreading it. There is a good bit of N in pig slurry and stuff out of fattening units is great tack

Slava Ukrainii

Youd be cheaper buying fertiliser than buying a spreading slurry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I got pig slurry spread here on a few acres last Spring as a bit of a trial. No maps and I paid €60 per 3k load spread.

It worked out cheaper than bagged stuff, but I didn't save a fortune either. I was happy to try it and see if a different type of fertiliser might help the soil overall, rather than just bagged stuff all the time.

It gave the grass a great jump and it also saved some of my time (and diesel) not having to put the spinner on, load it up, spread it, etc.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If you are well into top band, may as well keep going and adjust sr.

If you are on the line, 6200L, and settled herd more or less it would be worth making the adjustments to stay in middle band. Only worth being in the top band if you are well into it.

Talks of extra cost for slurry cubicles etc only comes into it imo if it has to be added. If you have it in place already its not gonna be pulled out because you have less cows...

Harder decisions for those who need to invest regardless of numbers due to age of infrastructure etc. as generally the few extra cows help pay for it

If infrastructure is good already its simply a case of seeing where you stand and make the call re more ground or less cows

Advertisement