Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BE /Trailer licence, have you it to pull a trailer behind a jeep/van/car???

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

You can stick your head out if u want if your reversing around your drivers side

Reversing the other side you have to use the mirrors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

For me at this stage anyway, being used to driving Artics, where the mirrors are all you have, its a doddle in a car. Only difference is that in a truck, the mirrors are massive compared to a car, and you have more of them. That makes it far easier. Plenty of practice is all you need. On mart days here, on Fridays, you can see plenty of farmers reversing double and treble axle trailers with 4 x 4's, no bother to them, and the entrance to the mart is on the side of the street, with traffic passing each way all the time. So they drive past the entrance, get the trailer lined up, and reverse back and around the entrance into the mart itself, no problem. One of the best drivers I've ever seen used to drive a truck-trailer rig ( very common on the continent, but almost exclusively used for livestock here in Ireland) Given that he had to access Farmyards all over the place, and some of them not being exactly big vehicle friendly, he was one talented driver, for sure the best I've seen. Any Truck Trailer drivers on here? If you had any towing questions, they would be the ones to ask.( for HGV Towing anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭amacca

Everything is a money racket now (and probably always was) and in general people don't kick up enough of a stink about new quangos etc multiplying like bacteria snd becoming a self perpetuating drain on their finances

I bring a van for a test and "inspector" a snot nosed surly git looking like he barely got out of his pre teen patchy beard phase and about as communicative as a disgruntled teenager says it fails on a crack in tail light (plastic) and lights not focussed

Grand I think, I'll replace the tail light, which is working fine btw and needs the entire unit replaced (another racket and wasteful too....they should be a small bit of plastic that doesn't cost the earth ....I meant that both ways btw seeing as we are so environmrntally conscious) in fairness maybe water leaks in and shorts the light etc

But I had the temerity to enquire after reading the report where it mentioned dip beam....was it too low or too high...no response..I tried another tack, what standard or criteria do you use so I can raise or lower the beams? Ie: should it be 20 metres back from a wall and lights should illuminate 0.5 m upwards or something along those lines etc etc

I could fix it if you could provide some sort of guidance on what you want, why make me go looking for the standard? The van btw has been on the road for a year, I can't see an issue with the dips, they work perfectly and not a single oncoming vehicle has flashed that they are too high so I can only assume they are too low...I looked for guidance in an old rules of the road and a YouTube video and according to both they are fine .....yer man was having a bad day and hand over the money **** was my conclusion

So that's about 160 ish for test incl a retest fee which is a total lark for something that can be "inspected" in 2 minutes....

Around 170 for the light unit and time and labour (which I'll supply) and diesel/wear and tear to fit and drive the thing back to the thick aggressive knobjockeys...

And thats replicated across all areas of life....

People in general are way too likely to take the easy option and sing dumb when a lot of these things are in the pipeline.....and they get what they deserve as a collective

You can complain too much or not enough ... its hard to get it right but maje no mistake as a consumer/citizen you are a cash cow to be milked at every opportunity and they want you on lean pasture as much as possible to boot

Life is a subscription model unless you are lying up on the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Van Doozy

I assume a turning the head would be an automatic fail?

You can turn your head no problem (and I did) but with a LWB jeep without rear side windows and a big box trailer on the back you don't see much. it's actually much easier to gauge if the trailer is aligned with the kerb by using the mirrors. You can also 'shunt' (i.e. drive forward a bit to line the trailer up again) in the test and it's not an issue. You can also go as slowly as you need to.

A great tip I got in the lessons for the reverse around the corner was if you find the trailer is turning either too much or not enough - rather than chasing it around trying to correct it (which is what I was doing)... instead just actually stop moving, apply full steering lock to correct and move back slowly. This immediately corrects the turn without running out of road. This might come instinctively to someone for drives with a trailer a lot but I had taught myself and don't do it very often!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The tester will step out of the vehicle when you are doing the reverse around the corner.

Excellent post by @Van Doozy on the costs. I did the test 20 months ago, 3 lessons with Jeep and van hire for the test was just under €300. Having a few lessons I found was very helpful to get the tips and tricks to tidy up for the day

For reversing a trailer, be it car or artic, you have to have both perfectly in line, then slowly start reversing, using only the mirrors. If the trailer starts to move out of line, say to the left, then turn the steering wheel slightly to the left. and then back again when the trailer straightens up again. Slowly slowly is the secret, And if you practice this, then you will quickly learn how to control it and move it whenever and where ever you want, even in tight spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Most people are sheep and will pay up. Its a money racket, just like everything nowadays. I had to get rid of the jeep a few years back, no trailer license, the jeep cost a fortune to run then another fortune to get through the doe every year. I just use the tractor now, no requirement for a trailer license, can use green diesel,and i don't give a fook anymore if theirs a mile long tailback behind me on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭farmertipp

is it tipp town mart you are talking about? some dose getting cattle in there but great place to sell.

Yes. Thats the one!! A beauty. They had another one a long time ago.. but LIDL have it now. Still, better that the days when there was no marts, and the dealing was done on the side of the street. I remember them days too. The next door Neighbours were cattle dealers, and as a kid I went along with them. Buy the time I was 11 or 12 I had travelled most of Munster. I remember minding cattle for them on a mart day. The wheeling and dealing, spitting on the palms, the "make the deal" middleman. The drinking, and occasional fighting that ensued. And of course, the monumental clean up afterwards.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭clonagh

Is the towing capacity of the car/jeep an issue in relation to insurance regardless if you have a BE licence or not? Is your insurance void if you're pulling a load in excess of the vehicle's capacity?

Yes the insurance would be void if involved in an accident towing a trailer above the rated towing capacity. It is against the law too but the Guards are turning a blind eye to it when it suits them.

But at the end of the day I'm using the road now with every sort of yolk on the road, electric bikes doing 40+ those hover board things etc, I meet a woman driving an electric scooter every day out in the middle of the road, no a screed of tax, insurance, no lights or helmet. So where do you go from there when there are two different laws in play, who's the fool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

I passed my BE before the summer. I don’t pull livestock but would occasionally be in a scenario where BE is, or potentially is, required. I figured it’s easier to just show a BE than having to go through the weights with a guard at the side of the road. Now, all I have to check is that what I’m towing is within the towing capacity of the vehicle and I’m good to go.

Similar experience to @Van Doozy although I’m pretty sure you don’t have to wait 6 months as it is not your first learner permit. I got a LP for D (bus) and BE at the same time. Did the bus first and don’t remember having to wait 6 months but maybe I’m wrong on that. I think I only had to wait about 10 -12 weeks for the BE test to come up.

The test itself is easy. As others said, like a car test then one reverse around the corner back at the test centre. Mind you, there was a BE test before mine. Company branded jeep and trailer and I’d say the guy is pulling trailers all day long. He reversed around the corner pretty lively, but he didn’t look all that happy when he came out. My instructor (I had 3 lessons as I didn’t have a rig that would meet the requirements) told me afterwards that he didn’t pass. Now that could be just instructor bluff. As in, ‘hey the guy that (likely) didn’t get any lessons failed’, or it could be true. Who knows, but while it’s easy to pass, it's also easy to fail.

Anyone doing the test I would recommend at least 2 lessons before the test. Local instructors know the routes and the potential fail points. This info is really helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭hopeso

Was there much bother getting the D licence? There seems to be great demand for bus drivers around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Niallers87

Hi all, I have the BE permit(provisional) for towing a trailer, just wondering are the next steps to book an actual practical test or is there a theory test to be completed first? Sorry if the question is simple but the NDLS website isn’t very helpful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭hopeso

If you've actually got the learner permit, you don't need a theory test. The theory test has to be passed before getting the permit. I assume you must have passed a theory test previously, which is still valid....

thanks for that, yes, they issued me with a separate “learner permit” card, so I presume I can press on and book the practical now and try and seek out someone that gives lessons?

Sorry for the question, I went to the RSA website and booked my test, there’s no availability but they said they would mail me in 8 -10 weeks with an option to book an appointment

If you are use to the the trailer and reversing it, apply for the test and only do lessons once you a nailed down date for the test. That was the exact word from the chap who I did lessons with. I didnt know him from Adam. He said 2-3 lessons is the most that folks need for the test.

• Advertisement

The bother was in the time and cost. Needless to say I don’t have a bus out the back so I had to go to a school. They of course are in the business of selling lessons and they won’t give you the bus for the test unless you have a certain number of lessons. Thus, time and cost. I was already pretty competent with large vehicle (I have a C licence for years - though I am not a professional driver) so I was trying to do the minimum. I can’t fully remember but I wanted to do it in 6 hours and they were trying to sell me 10 or 12. I think we ended up at 8 (4x2hours). Now I do have to say that my instructor was great. Obviously they know the test routes and he had me well prepared. The bus will be automatic so there is literally no work to the driving. It’s all about negotiating it around town.

Time wise. I had to do the theory test so from application for that, to actually passing my test was about 6 months. You do get your test date pretty quickly but what surprised me was getting slots for the lessons. I think I had to wait 4-5 weeks before they could take me for the first one.

Cost wise it all adds up. Theory test, Learner Permit, Lessons, Test, Bus for the test (that was expensive), taco card, new licence etc. I think my total came out just shy of 1,300. Lucky for me I wasn’t paying. I volunteer for an organisation and they had asked me to do it so they paid. That said, I was trying to keep the cost down - not very successfully mind.

Yes, you can press on. However, will you be using your own rig (jeep & trailer)? If not you will need to make sure that the one you are booking is available for your test and that they will hire it to you. Instructors/schools are in the business of selling lessons and they can say ‘well, I’m not happy to give you my rig for the test just yet’. There also aren’t that many places that do BE (or at least that was my experience) so you might have to do one or two lessons more than you think you need.

Thanks a mill for the advice, to be honest my experience is limited enough so I think I’ll go for an extra few lessons to be honest as they will always stand to me, there were a few options in my area between Ennis and Kilrush but all seemed booked up at the moment. The trailer I have is a 12x6 so, could possibly seek out an instructor who will let me borrow theres for the day. Thanks again for the steer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭einn32

I'd recommend at least one lesson to see what the test entails and what not to do.

Small bit off topic but question is am I legal to pull a trailer with a maximum load capacity of 2900kg with a jeep which is rated at 2830kg, even if the load is less than the 2900kg, say I've only a few small cattle in the trailer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,503 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't think you are legal. Its based on what the trailer can take.

You could get your trailer replated to state max capacity of 2800 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

If you have BE you would be legal in that scenario . ie trailer and load less than 2830kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

I've a test coming up now for the license.

How many lessons would anyone who has done it recommend?

I'll be using the instructors set up for the test as well.

I did 3 lessons in total and that included one about an hour before the test. Took my own set up out for a few spins to brush up on the small bits of feedback he gave. That helped polish everything

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I also did 3 lessons and passed no hassle. Did a bit of practice reversing around the yard and that's about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,076 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

That clears it up for me, what's more is I've only a B license so I'm gonna have to get the BE too or else stick to the Tractor and trailer. I don't fancy myself for the test, I wouldn't be the most confident driver when someone is watching. What is involved in the test, would you have to be reversing the trailer on the mirrors, doing hill starts etc?

Yes I've seen that but it's not the opinion ive seen applied from traffic corp.

The argument being that the trailer was likely going to have a loaded return journey and was capable of carrying a load exceeding the capability of the car.

It is great if they are now applying this more common sense approach.

I have never read or heard of someone being prosecuted for being over weight unless the vehicle and trailer were weighted.

This was always the case. When I was working I was towing a loaded ⁹4 wheel trailer with fixed weight load. The combined MAM was under 3.5T and you could tow it with a B licence you did not need a BE.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Ah here.

The Traffic Corp aren't in the habit of prosecuting somebody for something that hasn't yet happened....and may never happen !!!

Are you seriously suggesting that somebody was summonsed/fined for something that they might possibly do sometime in the future ? That would make for a great day out in Court.

It's not about penalising for something that has not yet happened. The reading of the law was that actually towing a trailer with plated laden weight in excess of capability of towing vehicle was the actual offence.

I'm hoping I'm wrong on this but is there any sensible reason so for someone having their trailer replated to a max weight that suits their towing vehicle.

I have never heard of trailer being replated to fulfill such a scenario even if it was possible. I have never heard or read about some one being fined or even prosecuted for having an empty plated trailer above MAM guidelines.

This is a hoary chestnut that is raised every now and again. For the Gardai to prosecute you they need to weight you. They have the technology to do that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

If you have BE you can tow trailer with higher plated weight than vehicle towing rating but trailer and load must be under towing rating.

A B licence holder can tow up to 750kg trailer but not a trailer plated above 750kg, regardless of unladen weight.

Also I believe a B holder can tow a gross train weight of 3500kg provided towing rating and trailer rating are adhered to. e.g vehicle weight 1900kg , towing rating 1500kg, trailer plate 1500kg.

• Advertisement

Not correct. From the RSA website it from the link I posted earlier.

MAM1 of trailer exceeds 750 kg but the MAM1 of the vehicle and trailer combined does not exceed 3,500 kg.

The 750 kg limit is where the MAM will exceed 3.5T

Slava Ukrainii

Test coming up now, have to do a few lessons and sharpen up.

Is it a hard test?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Van Doozy

I found it very easy and relaxed. the examiner was professional but relaxed and sound. At one stage we were on a really busy junction and he was like 'look there's no need to get caught up being textbook perfect here - this place is difficult to get out of at the best of times, never mind with a trailer, if you see a safe gap just go for it otherwise we'll be here all day'!

I definitely needed lessons. If you drive a trailer regularly you probably still need one or two to tighten up on bad habits - if you're not a regular trailer driver you might need more. I did 4 and needed them all.

Passed the test after, wasn't too hard and the tester was good, wasn't out to fail me and actually talked to me during the test.

Bit ropey using the mirrors for reversing, had to do that first and wasn't my greatest effort but he said I didn't fail on it so continued on.

Good to hear. Most of them have common sense and can see that folks are trying to do the right thing by doing the test. Most folks sitting it haven't don't a test in yonks

Does anyone have any names of driving instructors in the Ennis area that offers lessons with a jeep and trailer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭irishguy19772

1 guy in Ennis. He's an arrogant bollox but get one lesson off him anyway so you know the score. Sean o Keefes.

Advertisement