Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think I started this thread back in 1977.

Incredible how much comments it gets

We are behind Ukraine so let's suck it up.

The government is clamping down on refugees it's just not blowing it's own trumpet because it doesn't want to encourage the far right

In the end people of Ireland get off the fence. Write to your TD and ask what's happening

Or join a right wing party

But please please don't delude yourself into thinking this thread will change anything

I didn't.

I would never join a far right party

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yep. Agree.

Thread has jumped the shark with political rants and anti Ukrainian comments..

Depressing.

The merits of the article are not up for discussion.

In fact the article mentions nothing relevant to this thread.

That was the twist the poster put on it, trying to back up his own bias it appears.

As you have blocked me apparently you won't see my reply. However yet again you imply I made a personal atrack.

THIS IS A LIE. And you and another poster have repeated it again.

I critiqued the post because it used an article with no relevance to the thread, and from a known right wing writer, whomI and others do not rate because of the poor show he made as a politician.

I am perfectly entitled to express this and othet opinions as freely as you and others here do of other politicians.

Now you never answered my question..

What imported culture wars?

What and who were you talking about when you said this bs, and ran away with your nonsense and outrage on behalf of Michael. MC Dowell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,403 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They’re living in situations where they have nice homes, 6/7 figure bank accounts… if politics doesn’t work out… they’ll end up in some very well paid six figure, corporate consultancy role …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Is it time to combine this thread with the immigration thread, it’s ridiculous to pretend they are completely different subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Minister Roderick's report recommended the "State could, and should, use emergency powers to [...]". Funny how the state was powerless to help our homeless and now suddenly they "should" :-)

Of course only a lunatic flat-earther might observe they're getting very fond of 'dem 'dose emergency powers?!

Or lets change this ....

Imagine it wasn"t a stabbing of an asylum seeker or anyone by an asylum seeker and those anti immigration were" wound to the sky " ...as they were , without knowing who they were talking about !

That's the thing ...you don't know what the truth is yet except a mention of non national by a small online news outlet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

That’s two stabbing incidents in the last week the media has buried.

Please someone make it make sense???

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

None of us personally experienced the famine. Many European countries have faced far worse death and destruction more recently than anything Ireland has experienced in living memory.

We like to see ourselves as long suffering victims of oppression, and that's the narrative we've been teaching our kids since Primary School. But this notion that we as a nation are collectively "kinder" than other countries is a dangerous narcissisim.

Imagine someone on a lifeboat after Titanic sunk who insists on rescuing the thousands still in the water. Sooner or later the whole boat goes under and everyone drowns. That's where such uncompromising charity gets you.

Maybe read the opening post on the Immigration thread to see why it was separated in the first place .

We are not on a lifeboat .

We are on an island which is populated mainly in cities, but lightly populated elsewhere .

We are far from ' going under ' .

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

You should try living in England if you think Ireland isn't special.

We're a small island where people are quite interconnected. That seems to end up with people being more neighbourly in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I hope you're not suggesting planting asylum seekers in forests or letting them roam in a field it eat grass? Asylum seekers are not plants or cows, they are people and need accommodation.

So there is nothing else except vegetation outside of cities?

Post edited by Goldengirl on

So what are you saying here ?

I don't think you read to the end of that post.

And if we're all so nice here why the continuous anti refugee sentiment posted on this thread ?

This is a depressing and downbeat thread that just degrades us all by posting here .

We are kind we are open, we are a wealthy generous nation.. And we are not' full up' although stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What you're essentially suggesting then is that we should use any and all non-residential space (even if it means repurposing it) in towns and villages and regardless of consequences to continue this Welcome wagon?

Here's a crazy idea - Let's not!

Those same towns and villages already deal with things like lack of investment, poor infrastructure and services, and general decline. Adding in a few hundred refugees to these sorts of places will only make those problems worse AND create other problems obvious to all except advocates like yourself it seems. Also, do the actual natives and residents of these places get a say in this, or should they just shut up and "do their part"?

We can't support the ones already here, can't get a handle on the problems it's causing, and yet your idea is to just keep packing them in! It's not just ridiculous, it's lunacy.

Its not my idea but here's another crazy idea.. How do ' we' stop people coming?

You and others posting the same political exposé every day about how somenody is profiting from this but the thread mentions solutions as well. So anybody got any solutions here?

I don't see anybody coming up with anything positive here which I think is a bit disingenuous.

May as well call it Time for a Whinge about Refugees thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would argue that the anti-refugee protesters are the real narcissists in that their world view is all "me, me, me" and not what they can do for other people. I don't buy that they are deeply concerned about "our own" either i.e. other Irish people. They sound like the biggest Nimbyists on the planet and as if it they couldn't give a hoot what happens to other Irish people, never mind refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

A cap on the numbers coming for a start demand EU money for our 'obligation ' .

I think a distinction needs to be constantly made

The modern refugee system is indeed a ton of horse manure. An African skips 30 nations and ends up in Ireland? Beggars belief

I know the Danes had basically introduced a zero refugee policy up to the Ukrainian war

I see no reason why we can't outside of Ukrainians.

Just turn down everyone.

But there is no party openly promoting this outside the far right though I hear the government is quietly making it more difficult.

I can see a few far right TDs getting elected

Legal and illegal immigrantion is a separate matter. We have now a high proportion of non Irish in Ireland. Many regard themselves as Irish particularly those born here but we need to avoid alienation that's rife in places like France

Either immigrant children become alienated or Irish people use them as scape goats.

One of the Highest immigrant ratio. We do need immigrants but I doubt any long term planning is occurring. I doubt we have evaluated integration.

Immigrants don't do welfare and work hard in the main. But we still need to evaluate. Look at the mess in the UK. It was a prime mover behind brexit and ironically many immigrants voted to leave because they wanted to pull the ladder up once they were safely settled after 40 years.

In terms of illegal immigrants I have seen enough evidence to suggest the state is pretty useless at tracking people and this potentially could be an issue

Ironically in the states by the time of Trump in 2016 illegal immigrantion had fallen considerably and is still falling

It was a failure of various US presidents to police it that lead to it being an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

As Trump would shout FAKE NEWS.

Trump brought down legal immigration.

Illegal border crossing apprehensions (What about building a wall) actually spiked in 2018 doubling on the previous years. A level not seen since 2007.

That was well during the trump presidency.

FAKE NEWS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Admittances rose between 2018 and 2019 due to a surge of Venezuelan asylum seekers, highlighting the economic and political crisis in the country which continues today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Nobody read this article, as @Strazdas has assured us all numerous times there are no issues at all with access to essential services like healthcare in this country.

Artificially increasing our population by 100,000+ in the space of a year and a half and giving medical cards to all these people also adds no additional strain to our services either…apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It is an issue and an unfortunate reality. My point is that any Irish government has to plan for a rapidly growing population : saying "We'll just stop the population from growing" is no sort of a solution to pressure on services and infrastructure (the Govt may as well start putting on TV adverts encouraging everyone to emigrate at that rate).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Yeah, there was a lad on last week trying the guilt-tripping angle too - don't think it worked then either

(the Govt may as well start putting on TV adverts encouraging everyone to emigrate at that rate).

Straw clutching at it's finest

@Bobtheman The problem with 'just turning people down' is that you have to stop people coming off planes and detain them, then by the time they have been interviewed and assessed for deportation if you are seriously talking about this, they have legal reoresentation and are appllying to the HighCourt. Then you are down the same road and long months of pricessing claims, but much more adversarial and needing security and accomodation.. detention centre style

Of course it can be done but it doesn't work out easier in the longterm.

High immigration and lack of integration in communities might have been the trigger for Brexit in the UK , but are they any further along with their flights to Rwanda and their floating refugee centres after all the bluster, and now years post Brexit?

And the misery and bad feeling, not to mention reputational damage to their human rights profile internationally?

I think the radicalisation of Islam and the bombings and mass attacks in London and Manchester had as much to do with Brexit as anything else. Can you can't blame the English for that really?

It changed the ordinary people and created the Little England against all the rest mindset. As in the 1980s after the IRA bombings.

But they allowed their immigrant communities to settle nto ghettos in large cities, allowed discrimination and racism to fester, inequality of education and opportunity and lack of integration with whole communities allowed never to learn the language or mix with other cultures. Through fear as well as lack of supports.

This led to increasing distrust and marginalisation, ripe for AlQaeda and jihadi indoctrination.

Thats what we have to avoid even if we manage to reduce numbers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Or they could just leave it to grow at its natural rate (we already have a decent birthrate particularly in relation to the rest of Europe) and buoyed somewhat by controlled immigration.

Limitless influx that you advocate for makes it impossible to ever expand our capacity sufficiently to keep pace with pop. growth

Advertisement