Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

I am not a million miles from either yourself or Banie (I think based on previous conversations here), so if you ever want to have a look at the fiftysix, I am in Limerick City most weekends and you are more than welcome to try it on etc., before committing to buying one. That Overseas is a really beautiful watch and I can fully understand why you would have trouble letting that one go. I would consider the Overseas to be a good step ahead of the fiftysix, but they are both very different watches and I can see how you could have one of each in a collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That really is a beautiful, beautiful piece! One of those watches (893's ALS and VC are the same) in that when you see and hold one? You run out of superlatives and end up repeating "beautiful" over and over again.

Enjoy it in good health Kostal 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Hello Everyone,

Long time follower, first time poster.

Seiko 5 Sport on a silicone strap from Barton

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That orange dial really pops, doesn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

That VC is stunning, my faith is restored that taste and class is not dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Woof! Do like an orange dial but have held of buying another because of my Monster. Came very close buying a Orange Doxa Sub 200 last month when I got to try it on in Manchester.

Post edited by Ryath on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Orange Seiko Saturday it is, so 🍊

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

That's mad.. I was just browsing watches and an Orange dial Seiko grabbed my attention, I came here to ask if anyone had one 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

• Advertisement

Tonight's lume shot, Citizen Promaster jp3050-55w.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

New addition today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Mid 70s Doxa Conquistador (by Synchron). Watch spent around 30years in a drawer. 3 years ago went through full service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Orange dial divers are very nice, good to see a few around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Globemaster

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wearing a hummer not a ticker today.

Bulova Accuquartz "Centenary" from 1975. Using one of their Accutron tuning fork movements adapted to take a new fangled for the time quartz module so like all Accutrons and tuning fork setups springdrive like smoooooth seconds hand. And the distinctive hum, though for some reason these are a lot quieter than Accutrons. Case referencing the shape of a tuning fork with a wee crystal on the dial to remind the wearer it's got quartz inside.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I have to pull up this video and the claim that in the late 60's or early 70's, Bulova hired the guy to eliminate the balance wheel. Bulova released their 1st Tuning Fork clock in 1956, and their 1st wristwatch was released in 1960. The Accutron was the clock chosen for NASA's cockpit instrumentation, and indeed it is also a "space" wristwatch, flown as NASA issued on the Mercury missions. It's also famous as the watch given to A12/SR71 pilots, which is practically "space Qualified" in and of itself. I own an "M4" serialled Accutron Astronaut, which puts its production date at 1964. It's an enjoyable video, an excellent presentation and engaging style, but it starts with an early error.

Now that said, it's nice to see the Citizen hummers! I did not know they existed, nor were they available cheaply.

My knowledge of them was based only on how they worked. Damn interesting fact that the Space View we know now was released initially as a sales demo prob essentially! Mad that it caught on like that, I suppose the showpiece of that watch at that time was the movement and not just any old dial.

Like to see your M4 B?

Might try and track down a citizen hummer...

Oh and my fave creation on a blue willard oem strap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It's been in my collection for years but never actually worn. I had the King G-Shock for a time and loved its 55mm beefiness. When I tried on the DW-5600E I always felt it was a bit small and I wasn't a fan of the strap. I've been cycling through my watches recently though after having only worn a Timex Grid since working from home. I put this on, gave it a day or two and well, I really like it. I wore it for two weeks straight. I do still wish it was a tad larger though.

The Spaceview origin is really cool.

The pics below are some that I have stored on my phone. My young lad has commandeered the watch and wears it constantly. I'm lucky enough to have the Kreisler coffinlink bracelet for it and although I had it serviced when I bought it. I've left the hands alone, as I feel it wears its age well.

An added plus, is that it's a GMT. The 2nd timezone is via the bezel only and isn't independently adjustable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep, the accutron was the "space movement" of that period. Before quartz came along it was more accurate than mechanical movements far more free of positional errors, more resistant to magnetic fields and more robust to shocks(NB they didn't have to bother with shock protection on the jewels). Now mechanical chronometers of outstanding accuracy certainly existed and had done since the 18th century, but they were very delicate instruments. A precise mechanical chronometer getting launched on a rocket would be a box of loose gears by orbit.

The space wristwatch was another thing. Though NASA were interested in a backup stopwatch(early missions carried heuer stopwatches), they weren't that pushed on the need for a wristwatch. The selection process was all very last minute and a bit half arsed and "cheap". They only tested a couple of movements and a handful of watches. If they had seen a vital need for such a device it's likely they would have gone "inhouse" at least for the design(and would likely have been a stopwatch only device). The singular problem for Bulova, who pushed hard for their case, was there wasn't a chronograph tuning fork movement available*

*until the later Bulova licenced Swiss ESA examples of the early 70's

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Picked up this subtle little number last week - a Navitimer has been on my list for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

A Breitling Navitimer was the first luxury watches I ever wanted. Couldn’t afford one and up with. Brietling colt….and rest is history. Never got one and the itch passed.

Nice one Eoin. Well wear.

Very cool watches, with a big history behind them too. They were huge back in the 90's and into the 00's too. For some reason-and lord knows why-they've gone off the radar since then. Like 893 I long lusted after one back in the day when the vintage ones anyway were very reasonable, but it wasn't to be. I very nearly pulled the trigger on a 60's one in 1995, but a new turbo(uprated, naturally, with old school lag measured in centuries..) beckoned on a car I had at the time. My lust for one was so specific I even remember the date. 😁

When i see watch/car shots like yours I'm also reminded how analogue and out of date I remain. 😁

German air ministry 1943 issued Wagner(Glashutte), with a contemporaneous vintage "Hygenique" strap, behind the wheel of a car where the only airbag present is me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Very nice watch . Well wear . Is that a new model or older reference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Mine is only a few years old, but I think this reference was first released in 2005 so it's been around a while now.

Advertisement