Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price gouging by the pub, restaurant & hotel industry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The spas not exactly cheap either- €280 for 120min session per person. (Top price).

So that would be €400 + €560= €960 before a bite to eat, which by the way costs €41 for a 10oz sirloin or rib eye in the bar.

It’s fairly expensive alright!

Enjoy though it’s a treat so feck it!

• Yeah I rather think that poster is taking the piss then. I am sure a few good restaurants charging a bit more have customers with that kind of attitude, but try to remember you’re also talking about an individual who if I recall correctly referred to staff in hospitality as “low paid workers”.

Some hospitality staff are paid big bucks they’re not all min wage and tip dependent to pay their rent like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭fliball123

Well no back in my hayday if you were 25+ you looked very old for the crowd you were in, it was normally teenieboopers and early 20s who would be the ones out and about in most cases.

I suspect most of us would not associate staff working in hospitality as either high, nor middle income earners. Whether you think it or not, I suspect most people pulling pints, waiting tables, serving coffee, cleaning rooms earn little more than minimum wage.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

To be fair you've gone out of your way there to misrepresent what is provided. The top fees for the Spa treatments include either afternoon tea or lunch and I'd imagine like most hotels only a very small percentage of guests would avail of the luxury spa service.

There are plenty of other things to enjoy without having to spend any extra. The gardens are rated the 3rd best in the entire world by National Geographic, the 20m indooor heated swimming pool is lit with Swarovski crystals, the gym, fitness center and sauna are all state of the art facilities.

There's no need to spend nearly 600 euro to have a stranger rub your body with their hands when you're away for a romantic break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I haven't misrepresented anything.

I got those prices off the website- they're not made up like!

Anyway as I said- its a treat so fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Prices in a cafe-car in Berlin, 2023, a fairly nice place.

50cl draught beer from 3.50, so 3.90 per pint.

50cl bottles of beer from an unbelievable 1.80!!!

VAT in DE is 19%, versus 23% here.

The excise duty on beer is:

DE excise is 0.787 / hL per degree Plato, meaning I think 2 or 3 cent per 50cl

IE: 22.55 cent per liter per %, meaning 47.36 cent for 50cl at 4.2%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Let us work back.

Flensburger pils = 3.50 on draught 50cl

Deduct 19% VAT and 3 cent excise = 2.91 to be split between pub and suppliers, per 50cl

(3.31 per pint)

Dublin pub, say 6 euro for Guinness

Deduct 23% VAT and 54 cent excise = 4.34 to be split between pub and suppliers, per pint.

Even though labour costs are higher in Germany, the prices are 1.00 lower per pint, and this excludes the lower excise.

My conclusion is that this extra cost is mainly due to three things:

(1) a lack of competition, due to too few brewers, allowing Diageo to charge super high prices

(2) excessive overheads on pubs: energy costs (although these are also high in DE), insurance, massive rents, etc.

(3) higher profit margins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

With the increase in usage of contactless and tap and go, i have seen loads more places give you the machine which automatically has the tip option on it before you tap. Get in the bin with that crap. I went into my local cafe yesterday for a coffee, the guy in front of me tipped a euro for a takeaway flat white, wtf. The american tipping nonsense that is seeping in here needs to be cut out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This guy seemed to think that an extra euro on a 3.50 takeaway cup was required.

If you sat in, had something to eat, sat around working on a laptop or something, maybe leave a few coins. But 30% over and above the price, and straight out the door. People must have more money than sense, so no wonder the gouging goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ErnieG

"The american tipping nonsense that is seeping in here needs to be cut out."

Totally agree.

In the US, the price is set on the understanding that the customer will tip .

Here, pricing is set on a "no tip" basis; but yet we have this mounting pressure to tip.

I tip in restaurants, not because I have to (unless a service charge is applied for tables with large groups) but because I want to. I’m not sure why you would feel pressured to tip for a coffee, or have a problem with someone who does leave a tip. It wasn’t required, so the “tipping nonsense” is a personal choice. Not once, ever, have I been asked for, or felt expected to give a tip in Ireland, it is completely different to the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Ah now lads, you have to tip for the smiles and shapes that your Barista and Mixologist are throwing in your direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I find it hard to be cross with them for putting up prices. Particularly pubs. It doesn't seem like the pub trade is booming and I think pubs are actually closing. I'm sure they would just lower their prices sooner than going out of business if that was an option.

That's just the cost of pints nowadays. I listen to older people and it seems they always had a few bob for pints, no matter how bad the economy was. But now it's a big expense. I certainly can't afford it anymore and the economy is pretty good at the moment That's just the way she goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

"Maybe leave a few coins"

Christ. If you can afford €3.50 for a takeaway coffee you can afford to leave a tip.

This thread is so full of moaners who haven't the balls to open a hospitality business but moan about anybody who does.

If people think they are being gouged, then open a hospitality business and cash in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

True, but the prices are being paid.

Otherwise the pubs would be empty.

So, the 4th & most influential variable is "How much are people willing to pay."

Add that into the equation and then you find your price point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Seriously. They just gave you warm beverage. That's what they're paid for.

People are going to pubs but I wonder who exactly are they? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a demographic shift in pub goers over the last decade or 2. I don't go to pubs that much anymore, but in my experience it's a pretty old crowd.

Going for a night out is a big extravagance nowadays. Old people complain that young people should cancel netflix and not eat avocados. But a night out per month would cost far more than a netflix, phone bill or avocados toast.

I'd imagine most young people won't be able to afford the pub and as those young people get oler, most of them still won't be able to afford the pub. It's probably a shrinking market in the long term.

You must be joking, I was in a pub over the weekend, it was wedged, mostly young and middle aged people.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Maybe it's just my experience. I'd still like to see a breakdown of who is spending money in pubs. Sat night is one barometer, but I wonder who is going to pubs the other nights and how the proportions have changed in recent years.

• Jesus you are very annoying did you know that?

i don’t think I need to give a euro or two to the barista on €11/hr making coffee. Making coffee all day is a handy gig for that money or more.

if you’re staying and availing of table service okay fair enough, but in and out for a flat white? Tip? Grow up.

Almost guaranteed as well you haven’t tipped a cent in your life and you’re just trolling the thread with faux outrage.

Either that or you own a hospitality business and feel entitled to charge what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

LOL. The cheapest burger is €18.50 ffs. Looks at the salads.

Pizzas seems ok value but would depends on the quality.

An absolute rip off lets be honest. Keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

No rip off there. That's about the going rate. I'd expect to pay that and am happy to do so. And leave a tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The question has to be asked, why would anyone go to the Lucan Spa Hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Absolutely. It was a marketing thing I got. At those prices they won't be attracting anyone in. Serious money being made there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ive been a few times for work stuff - training, a couple of meetings etc. Baffled when you see people who've stayed the night walking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Even looking at the rest of the prices, surely €6.95 for a bowl of soup is crazy in any man's language

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭fliball123

yes but the night out has completely changed the word I hear mostly used now is Prinks as in pre drinks those of a younger caliber go to one of the houses of the group get some cans, vodka and what ever anyone is drinking and load up on cheap booze before hitting the more expensive bars/clubs according to a nephew of mine most lads will have 2/3 beers when they are out, obviously this kind of precise will have a knock on effect for pubs in the country and that can be seen by the amount of closures.

Advertisement