Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Ill take that but it was harsh as hell penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Yesssss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not for me. Definitely a peno, took all of Watkins and if he caught the ball at all it was a brush. Then he took all of the ball after Watkins was down.

Poor defending tbh he took a risk and it didn't work out. Too slow and he couldn't get to the ball first.

Cut and dry.

3 .!!!

If that happened the other end, we'd all be fuming.

• Advertisement

No chance, sorry but the commentators were full of it. He took Watkins first and heavily too.

Ref called the peno straight away then var Valley the peno after 3 minutes. What more does one need.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

You could say that penalty was fortunate and 3-1 is flattering and I would not argue with you but...

Villa were the better team today, kept fighting right to the end, scored 3 goals and got 3 points!

and that strike by Duran...so sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Wtf - left a kids birthday party at 80th minute, phone dying from no charge...

Driving home and Today fm news says Aston Villa 1 Crystal Palace 0, sorry we meant Palace 1 - so wasn't sure if they meant 1-1 or won by 1.... then charge phone and see result. Looks like I missed something special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I thought in real time in the stadium that it was a harsh peno and that he got the ball. But having watched a replay, it’s like a 2nd motion where he gets the ball, after he’s already fouled Watkins.

As for the performance, the epic late comeback papers over some serious cracks. Having 2 defenders on the same side whose most valuable qualities are not defending, is a bit of a recipe for a heart attack.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Only saw the highlights but looked a penalty for me, he got the ball but took Watkins out to do so. Watkins was already upended by the time the Palace lad touched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Fantastic comeback but I would have had no complaints if we had lost because in the first half we just weren’t clinical enough.

Anyway delighted we won and quite a few games coming up.

That was a big win yesterday, its the type of stuff that simply doesn't happen to us .

Only thing I could compare it to was Sheff United 3-3 in the promotion season. Truly came from nowhere.

Hope we see a lot of rotation on Thursday.

I know Emery takes it seriously but with Chelsea on Sunday and them being beatable, being a team we hope to finish ahead of this year, and one who have no European football themselves I would hope some of our bigger names get a rest.

Duran, Tielemans, Dendoncker, Bailey to start at least. Lenglet gets a run out (afterall that is what he was brought in for surely) and Moreno gets brought on at some point.

Those should be almost guaranteed. Maybe Revan gets a start as he did against Hibs, then Digne can be rested for Sunday and the same could be said for Chambers with 1 of Cash or Konsa at RB / coming on to let the other have a rest. Now that I mention it Kellyman also got a start that day.

So something like this with Moreno for Revan on the hour

Cash for Konsa and Kamara on for McGinn around the same time.

If we are not winning I could see Diaby/Zaniolo for Kellyman and Watkins for Duran in the last 20m

Infact I would not be surprised given how seriously Emery takes it if Zaniolo starts and if things are going well then the likes of Kellyman could come on for him if not Diaby gives him a rest on the hour.

Get the logic since players can’t play every game, but Legia away will likely be no walkover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

We are going to have to go close to full strength to beat legia..as CSF said they are no mugs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think I saw that Kellyman is ineligible. I think that’s because a youth player must have been at the club for two years and he hasn’t.

Has Duran played a game where he hasn't got a yellow card yet?

Like, guys of the quality of Tielemans should play. Moreno should play for fitness. Duran has likely earned a start. Bailey and Zaniolo should play.

I guess I would go Martinez, Cash, Moreno, Konsa, Torres, Kamara, Tielemans, McGinn, Bailey, Zaniolo, Duran.

Rests for Luiz, Diaby and Watkins ahead of a tough game at Chelsea. Although having seen Emery against Hibs, I do not expect him to rotate that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Am a Utd fan and am impressed with yere start to the Season.Emery hasn’t taken long to get a cohesive attacking team together.

From a FPL point of view,I already have Watkins in my team and happy enough with him getting assists.Has he looked like scoring much at all so far or has he just been unlucky in that department?

Thinking of bringing Diaby into my midfield and possibly Digne in as he seems to be doing a lot of attacking.

Appreciate anyones thoughts on how above lads are performing.

I’m surprised you’re impressed. I haven’t been. Think we’ve put in 2 good performances, shat the bed twice and one below average one.

In terms of Diaby and Watkins, it’s not difficult to see how they’re likely to be important to the team with their qualities and roles. Both should have big seasons.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Watkins will probably get into double figures but he's not a 20 a season striker. Diaby will get a few goals from midfield, Digne I wouldn't be sure as he will be in and out of the team for Moreno probably.

I think Diaby’s our most exciting player at the moment, I tend to have a bet on him to score or assist. In his short time Zaniolo looks a handful for defenders and has settled into the pace of the game, he laid a great pass on to Cash on Saturday but needs to convert his efforts into goals or assists.

the two most talked about players on here are Bailey and Ollie I Agree with others about Ollie it’s unlikely he’ll get more than 20 goals a season. if you appreciate his hold up play and workrate that’s fine but for me he squanders too many chances. When you look at how Diaby took his offside goal on Saturday compared to Ollie’s one on one you can see the difference in quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Diaby is on my FPL for sure, he's top tier stuff. Digne has got off to a good start but will get rotated with Moreno now he's back from injury. I wouldn't have Watkins on my FPL team, not yet anyway. If he scores in a few games in a row then I'd take a punt as he could be on one of his runs but so far, he hasn't scored in the PL in ages.

I can’t see Digne being a starter once Moreno is back to his fitness levels. Beside Mings it might have been more achievable, but Digne and Torres together on that side, is a bit of a recipe for disaster. Teams will target that side for attacks.

Has he not delivered majority of our assists this season?

One thing I’ve noticed with Cash and to a lesser degree with Digne is they have a great ability to take the ball done from a long pass and control it first time Cash did it a number of times on Saturday.

It will be good to see Jacob Ramsey back as we miss his driving runs through the centre of midfield especially as we’ve also lost the energy of Buendia.

He has, he’s been good from an attacking perspective. But he absolutely needs someone beside him who is really solid defensively because he’s not reliable in this regard. And Torres isn’t. At least not yet.

• Advertisement

Konsa new contract confirmed. The Watkins contract remains a point of concern.

Thats up Summer 2025 so they need to start moving on it.

The European group campaign starts tonight I think a draw would be a very good result also gives some of the squad players valuable game time.

Post edited by pavb2 on

Chelsea haven't beaten a team from the top 10 in 500 days was a thing I heard today. Sounds crazy.

Sooner the better we've stopped talking about Digne's assist and start talking about how badly he needs to be on the bench. Get in Duran!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Rocket.

• Advertisement

Digne and Lenglet has looked like well ehhhhh. Digne and Torres. May be time to start sticking bets on the right sided attacking players against us for each game to find some way to ease the pain.

We're making Muci look good tonight.

So many other considerations in play in many scenarios, but I can’t get away from how much worse we’ve looked this season than from when Emery came in last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Nobody putting their hand up here.

Some miss by Ramsey there.

• Advertisement

I miss 22/23

It’s mad because before the summer signings the team were playing well and practically picked itself, I suppose injuries play a part and we do need to evolve. Anyways early days and tonight’s result means we just need to beat Warsaw at home.

Given the European matches I think it would be optimistic to think we’ll finish higher than 7th this season which I think is ok providing we have good cup runs.

The changes at the back aren't helping. Konsa, Mings, Carlos, Torres, Lenglet, Chambers, Cash, Digne (Moreno to add soon) plus the movement between 3/5 or 4 at the back and the positional changes (Konsa and Chambers have played RB and CB, Torres LB and CB) probably makes up close to 10 different combinations and we've 8 games played. It's mostly injuries and some rotation (which is expected) but no way is it ideal.

Yes you could argue that injuries are part of football and it’s up to Emery’s skill as a manager to deal with them.

On the other hand I’d say our injury list is slightly above average with Mings and Buendia out for the best part of the season. As well as those two Ramsey,Carlos & Moreno would also be starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Last season away from home we got a good few very lucky wins it has to be said. Poor misses form the opposition in games at nil nil which had they gone in would have made it very difficult for us last season.

This year the opposition aren't missing and so far away from home we have been truly woeful, especially at the back. Thats 11 conceded now in 3 away games if you exclude Hibs who are basically a league one side at best

Emery is top class, but has been very naive in a few games this season with regards to our defensive set up.

Saying that, we should have had enough to win that game last night but we seemed to be have turned up thinking we would walk it and never got into the fight at all. Poor all over the park.

Another issue is trying to get Tielemans into the side is proving to be very difficult as he doesn't seem to match what our CM is set up to do.. he was woeful last night as well as the entire back line it has to be said (why we got rid of Young and kept Chambers is beyond me).

Injuries are a major part of why things aren’t what they were in the first half of 2023.

That team featured Mings, Ramsey, Moreno and Buendia as star performers. They haven’t been there at all. Most of that is just bad luck. Sure, you would like guys like Tielemans and Torres to just slot in and be stars but unfortunately it very frequently doesn’t work that way.

After 5 premier league games last year we were in 19th... now we are in 7th.

I get that things have not been amazing to start the season but from what I am taking from what your saying is that Villa should be able to improve on what we currently see.

Players are still gelling with their new team mates and with Emery's plan, a plan that no doubt has been set back by those injuries (would not be shocked if he had 3 at the back in mind for more games). Ramsey and Moreno are coming back to fitness. Duran is starting to prove himself as a good option.

I still see us doing well in Europe. Hopefully that match (which did see a lot of rotation) will be motivation for them to take every game seriously and to want to prove themselves more against Chelsea (who are very beatable...but a point away to would not be the worst).

Yeah, like I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. Oceans away from where we were this time last year with Gerrard at the helm and knowing that he was not the guy.

Emery is clearly the man for the job. I just think that there’s some mental adjustment to be done from starting to buy in to the idea that Villa might push their way into the top 5 this year, to us looking every inch like a 9th-13th team which has been the expectation for some time now.

To clarify, I’m not pinning the blame on anyone. It’s not Emery or the transfer committee’s fault that Mings and Buendia did their ACLs and ended their season before they could even complete one half of football. This in itself; basically meant Villa had to readjust their expectations for this season.

The only criticism I would make is that I don’t see the logic behind the Torres signing pre-Mings injury at the moment (would have made more sense of it happened after the injury). It’s hard to imagine a scenario at present where he would ever have taken Mings’ place in the team and he doesn’t appear anywhere near athletic enough to play LB.

Quite nervous about today. Our left hand side is a big area of weakness and I’d anticipate Digne and Torres continuing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

The team is as expected, with the exception of maybe Zaniolo. Thought there would be a more defensive player than him in either central mid or central def.

As always though, i trust Unai!

• Advertisement
Advertisement