Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I was on same offer. They started offering 10% discount and then a high discount on gas and low on electricity. Then eventually the 38% offer.

If you're a few weeks away, I'd suggest you wait

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Ah FFS... Here we go again...!

@Moving2017, do NOT wait as the BG offer is not going to increase. If anything, the offer could get dropped. To see your offer (likely 33% or 38% discount), just sign in to your BG account now and you'll see a note about your contract ending and an option to 'View new plan'. Click this and you'll see what's being offered.

It would be appreciated if you posted an update here to confirm the offer as there's a lot of misinformation about these latest round of offers increasing the closer you are to the contract end date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭bren2001

If they are a few weeks away, there may be no offer on their account yet.

If the offer is 10% (which nobody is saying it is now) then waiting makes sense as there may be other offers from other suppliers.

If the offer is 38% (which everybody is reporting) just accept it on the spot as it may disappear. Its by far the best deal. Some people on this thread have lost their offer due to waiting and hence greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Actually in the same boat as you. Was on about .32c per unit, will be about .34c in October with the 15% reduction and 10% discount. I've a few days of the 14 cooling off period to go, so going to use that.

SSE comes in slightly cheaper on bonkers, but that's based on using a lot of electricity at night, so not really comparable for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

As mentioned previously in this thread, be careful about using the 14 day cooling off period to try to buy time. I think you can get stuck with a one month wait after cancellation before you can actually switch providers a second time...

• Advertisement

Only applies if you actually switch to another supplier. If you stay with the same supplier there is no issue as the restriction comes from ESB networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

My electricity contract has just ended with BG. Gone from 29.4c flat rate to 45c.

I asked on their live chat about the 38% discount but told its not available any more, all they could offer was 15% at 41c

I found a decent rate for Energia on Switcher (not available on Switcher but they list it anyway).

When I went to check it on the Energia website it doesn't match up.

Switcher smart data plan was (after reduction in Oct)

Smart Data 10%

Day:33.579 cent(36.60111 cent incl. VAT at 9.0%)

Night:19.17 cent(20.8953 cent incl. VAT at 9.0%)

Peak:35.19 cent(38.3571 cent incl. VAT at 9.0%)

from 03/10/23 to 16/09/24

But on the Energia site its

Smart Data 10%

Day:45.76 cent

Night:24.50 cent

Peak:47.94 cent

doesn't reference reduction rate or vat...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

Thanks for the reply, I am on the correct Tariff it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

Well I assume one is the current rate and the other is the new discounted rate from October?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭brian2614

The 1st week in July, didn't hear anything rom them apart from a welcome letter. Hence I had to ask here about my bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi All

just got the keys to a new house.

I was on the old OBS offer with bord gais with 33% off.

They wouldnt allow me to carry it to the new house...

I see rates are changing in october/november..

is there a better rate than 37.99 for a standard fixed for electricity ?

Thats with flogas

Post edited by skinny90 on

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

The new rates are listed at https://www.energia.ie/about-energia/price, the second table covers smart plans, just need to take the 10% switching discount off it. Confusingly, energia have listed a different night rate for mcc12 and mcc16. Switcher have gone with the slightly higher mcc16 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭septictank

I received an email letting me know my BG 12 month plan was coming to an end, 33% off both. Told me if I let things go then I'd be on a standard rate. Was surprised they offered the 33% again + extra 5% if I signed up ASAP.

Couldn't see anything better on offer. 29.88 El unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

You should get an email 45 days before your contract is up like @septictank (just above) and others.

What? I pointed out what happened in my case. Previous posts on this topic too.

My BG contract was ending and the prices changed over a few weeks.

If it's the same discount for everyone on that plan now, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Well you just posted rates till 3/10 on Energia site and cheaper rates from 3/10.Energia cant advertise cheaper rates as of now untill discount kicks in.Just wait till 3rd and switch.Thats what im going to do

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Recently switched to the Flogas Community Offer from Energia. Have a day/night meter and microgeneration. Received a letter from ESBN today stating that they are looking to replace my day/night meter with a smart meter "configured in day/night mode." Letter states that if I opt out of a smart meter installation, deemed export calculation will cease.

Called ESBN and they were unable to provide any further information on the meter model.

Has anyone else been through this? Will I be able to remain on my current tariff with Flogas? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭tx_tx

In August (and maybe before), BGE were offering the same-ish low discounts as the other suppliers (maybe 8% to 12%), and these discounts were increasing as you got closer to the end of your contract.

Since September (around August 30th), they are offering existing customers the same high discounts (or even 5% higher for dual fuel) that they currently enjoy (between 33% and 44% off), and these discounts don't increase over time.

There was (and maybe still is) confusion on this thread between these two waves of offers from BGE.

Ah that makes sense.

When someone asks where they're seeing the offers I just assume they've logged in and checked what discount they were getting already

I probably should stop following this thread now I've renewed with BG anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R11

I'm out of contract since yesterday with SSE and was going to switch to Energia......but if I switch today,is the rate locked in or fixed? So if I switch dual fuel today,will they not pass on the reductions from 3rd October??

• Advertisement

Variable rate. Fixed discount. The reduction will pass on to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Pretty sure you can remain on your current day/night tariff for now. However I think the writing is on the wall for standard day/night tariffs and we will be finding when we go to renew we will have very limited choices without going on some type of day/night smart tariff :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Contract is just up but expecting to move house in the coming weeks. I currently have a smart meter. Unsure what type of meter is at my new location, would a provider tell me that if I signed up? Could be slow to ask via agent. Im thinking change provider / renew now, then 'move house' with that provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Nothing received for August.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

This is what BG are offering me, it's increased as was only around a 5 or 10% discount a few weeks ago. My contract expires in 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

I am in the same boat. Got a letter yesterday. Also in Irish Solar Owners group on FB there were many posts of others getting the same letter.

Someone there posted that the New Day and Night Smart meter that is supposed to be rolled out from September is the RM108. I think I am going to double check if this is what they are going to install. If not, I am keeping my old Day/Night meter. I'll loose deemed export but so be it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It has to be the RM108, Because ESBN cant take you off your current tariff, thats why DN need a special meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Moving2017

My contact end date is the start of October. I’ve an offer to match the OBS +5% offer on my portal (didn’t get an email) .

however, I’m duel fuel and have Solar panels, and it’s looking like it might be better to move to SSE as their microgenerarion rate is more than BGE. some more research needed using my usage as a guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭clodola

I want to retain the option of using a 24hr flat rate ,

I rang ESB and the supplier , I switched supplier ,from a 24hr to a 24hr cheaper flat rate, I want to retain my 24hr configuration , Meter was mcc01 configuration but got a letter this morning, changed by new supplier to mcc12 , half hourly smart meter import

From what was communicated to me , I am not on a smart tariff, I have not switched over

But I am not confident in what I am being informed is truthful ,

The company has 3 plans , smart plan , fixed rate discount and standard plan

I was sold a 24hr Rural , they have categorised as fixed rate plan or standard plan but I do not have any documents to indicate if it is a standard or fixed rate plan , only indicates it is a 24hr rural

Buried in the t&c's , Due to applicable industry rules for smart metering once you move to a Fixed Discount Plan Tariff, it is not possible to revert back to a non-smart Tariff.

I did not consent to be moved to a smart tariff

Supplier are giving the perception you are signing up to a 24hr rate with a 24hr configuration but are switching people to a smart tariff under a 24hr rate

I have rang the supplier twice, assured me I am not on a smart tariff but the t&c's contradict what they are communicating, 2nd time they are playing dumb, claiming they have no idea who changed the metres configuration or have any knowledge of configuration types

Edit: rang the ESB again , nothing to do with them it is all up to the supplier , asked if it is possible to revert back to mcc01 configuration, ESB said they do not know

from my understanding, retaining a 24hr configuration is preferable to ensure access to a 24hr flat rate , smart tariffs are extremely expensive for my usage

I am still in the cooling off period, no idea if this will revert the configuration to 24hr, if I cancel , I assume a land back with my previous supplier?

Advertisement