Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2023 Ireland v South Africa Buildup - Sat 23rd Sep 20:00 Paris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not sure I agree that we're undercooked.

But even if we were, I'd rather face South Africa in that situation, than a France or a New Zealand.

The level of intensity needed to keep those latter teams quiet for 80 minutes is a lot higher, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Huh? We've played every tier 1 team except New Zealand and Argentina in the last 10 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Im just concerned that if Etzebeth doesnt play, we might lose the fight.

I can live with losing the game, but not the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

I don't think us winning or losing the fight is down to whether Etzebeth is available or not.

I probably shouldve been a bit clearer, im South African.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

It's hard to say the South Africans are undercooked anyway based on the Scotland game Twickenham and the rugby champs and while we are still wondering about our warm ups, a little bit anyway. Both teams are clicking, SA are better tested over the last few months.

It's must not be ignored either but the bulk of this player group have had the bulk of their tough games in the Aviva since Wellington last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I'd start Kelleher, he looked good at the weekend and he brings a lot of physicality. Herring is a good guy to bring on then, he's a guy who mightn't win you a game but he won't lose it for you.

I think we have the beating of SA, we can match them up front but we have a much more sophisticated attack. The main concern for me is that our lack of injuries so far, worried that could have all changed by the final whistle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

In the last 18 months Ireland have won a test series in New Zealand, beaten SA and won the Grand Slam where they had to beat holders France.

If SA in your eyes aren't a quality team, then Ireland should have nothing to worry about on Saturday. Or indeed in a quarter final against France or NZ who you also don't seem to think are quality teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yeah I think @sxt will have to re reg after that one. 😂😂😂 Dope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Packrat

Twas some raving statement alright...

What a way to toss 2.5k posts, but then, maybe they're all of similar nature.. I can't be bothered enough to look.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

This is going to be a cracking match, I bet both sets of teams and fans fancy they have enough to win this one. As an Irishman I feel we can take this one but anything can happen. Hopefully it’s a classic, there have been a few boring games so far this WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If we can get a fast start, I think we'll win comfortably. SA aren't well suited to chasing a game, when the opposition isn't handing them easy entries into the 22. Lowe needs to have a good game, his left peg will be key in the kicking, given how much SA rely on wellying the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

France have only become favourite since Ireland one the grand slam.

Mickey mouse tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah but it’s the only won we play in annually and we haven’t one won since 2018. I for won enjoy oneing trophies every now and then. We’re number won in the world at the moment and deservedly so. Nowon can argue that. Not even Mickey Mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭standardg60

Was pretty clear to me!

Be good to have some saffers on the match day thread for balance, may the best team win and hopefully we'll meet again in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭typhoony

Sheehan has to be primed for the quarterfinal and beyond, he needs to start either against SA or Scotland. Bench for SA game and then starts against Scotland would be my preference, same with Jack Conan but he's not as crucial to quarter final team. I'm disappointed that JOB hasn't seen gametime as we might need him later but doubt he'll even bench for next 2 games. SA will look to kick to touch instead of kicking in-play as they normally do and they will challenge our line out. They are different team in the backline with Am included but I dont think he's been called up as a replacement having recovered from injury which is surprising, we're fully loaded and they are not but that just about evens it up I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

I wouldn't one surprised to see JOB feature against Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭raclle

Everyone getting ahead of themselves. It all depends on who turns up on the day and we rarely do in world cups but having said that if they both do it should be a classic.

• Advertisement

From a purely selfish point of view, I would also like a SA vs Ireland final.

From an impartial point of view I would probably like to see 2 teams play each other in the final who didnt during the tournament already.

Either way, if SA gets knocked out at any stage im cheering for Ireland the rest of the way, if they are still in it.

It is insane that the two top ranked teams in the world meet in the group and that both will likely progress regardless of the result. Same with France v NZ on opening night, which was a damp squib.

Hopefully we get a belter this weekend, both teams will be going all out to win but they'll know that losing isn't the end of the road, you don't win WCs in the pool. There's a reasonable chance of an Ireland v SA final in which case this game will likely see a whole lot of spice added.

I don't think Sheehan or Conan should be involved this weekend, not a game to be coming into after a month on the sideline. AF when with first choice players available v Romania and Tonga to build continuity, don't see him now throwing in players who were injured with little preparation. Start them against Scotland instead.

Agree about JOB, given his versatility he could yet play an important role in this campaign so I think he should be kept fully primed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭ersatz

On the relative preparation of the teams I guess to depends on how long you think is relevant, but the list of Ireland's run of victories is strong enough over the last year. Its been fascinating to observe how some players have seemingly gone off the boil (VDF, JGP, Furlong, Lowe) while others have hit the form of their lives (Bundee, Beirne, Sexton, Murray, Herring, Hansen). I'm not suggesting the former aren't playing well, rather just not making headlines in the way they were at the start of this list. Partly they've been overshadowed by how well some of the others have stepped up more recently. Honestly, it would have been hard a year ago to wish for this team to be a better position coming into this game.

NZ x 2

SA

Fiji

Aus

Wales

FR

Italy

Scotland

Eng

Itally

England

Samoa

Romania

Tonga

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ireland v France is the dream final for me for several reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Given Joe McCarthy's lack of involvement against Tonga I guess there's a good chance he makes the 23 for the South Africa game. I've been impressed by all 4 locks in our opening matches so we've a good selection to choose from.

Then looking at SA's last 15 games (from oldest to most recent):

Win vs Aus

Win vs Arg

Win vs Arg

Lost vs Ire by 3 points away

Lost vs France by 4 points away

Win vs Italy

Win vs England

Win vs Aus

Lost vs NZ by 15 points away

Win vs Arg

Win vs Arg

Win vs Wales

Win vs NZ

Win vs Scotland

Win vs Romania

Yeah this game should've been the final really.

If we do beat Ireland in this game, then I wont mind a SA vs France final for some payback. (Although this would mean France beating Ireland in quarter finals, and id like Ireland to get past that mental hurdle at least if they dont make it to the final).

If we lose to Ireland in this game then a SA vs Ireland final is top of the list, payback is back on the table.

Joe Mc is an interesting one. Definitely showed up well in the warm ups but we've questioned the opposition to a degree so whether he can deliver like that in a pressure cooker like next weekend against an in form top side is still uncertain to me. I think a lot of people thought he was a 'player for the future' selection in the larger squads but as serious world cup contenders I don't think we've made any calls of that nature with the 33. He's there on merit so has a chance to start but I'd be surprised if he's in the starting 15 - as he'd be displacing a proven experienced test player and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make the bench as he'd be displacing a proven experienced test player.

Beirne / Ryan has delivered for us in the big games and are a balanced pairing in the second row. I don't think you can take Beirne out of the starting 15 so you're likely talking about dropping POM or VDF to the bench in effect for Joe Mc. Not sure I see that happening this weekend but given the versatility of our backrow there might be some compelling stats which will steer the selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Is that a concern for this Springbok side? It usually never happens (2017 38v3 loss in Lansdowne aside).

I'd be interested to get a SA take on the drop off from Etzebeth.

• Advertisement

They said on against the head last night that he's available for selection for Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement