Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There’s just the two sounds - a normal “ding” if the bell is rung downstairs and the longer high pitched buzzer tone of the bell is pressed upstairs.

Drivers are human - they can be distracted on occasion and forget!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

On a single door bus it's more obvious for the driver if someone wants to get off or prior to rear door alighting becoming the norm since covid. If someone is standing up at the white line it's obvious they want to get off bell pressed or not the driver can see a person wishes to get off clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I've also noticed an increase in missed stops when people had pressed the bell - I was also wondering whether the driver had another notification other than the bell.

There also seems to be a lot of bells not working on buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is a definite problem with button pushes not working on SGs, although in my case I've sometimes had to try multiple to get the ding and stopping sign to light at all

There's also an obvious problem with the nuts that hold the middle door on to its arms, you can see multiple different colours of tell-tale marks put on them with marker so they can be checked for unexpected rotation

Nothing is helping my already subterranean opinion of Wright build quality. Already thought they were terrible before I was on an SG that gave an inaccurate engine fire indication in the middle of nowhere on a 66 resulting in everyone being hurried off the bus and up on to the bank at the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seperate to wonky SGs, some of the W61 stops in Maynooth have no stop signs, kerbing etc still. The drivers are at least sometimes refusing to stop at this stops; despite them being timetabled/realtime info available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The newer trend these days is for bells to be Bluetooth based rather than by wired, don't know if any of the DB fleet is like that thoug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I've had plenty of issues with bells on Donnybrooks PAs. Have had to press multiple bells before to get the ding to play and the "bus stopping" sign to light up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Not Donnybrook, but I've had this issue on PAs also. I haven't noticed it on SGs or other bus types.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

The PA's are Bluetooth. We were told they working to resolve the issues around ghost bells

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Donnybrook PAs are awful for the bell not working, especially downstairs. PAs are in general are poor for it, you'd nearly have to pay attention to others getting off the bus and which one worked for them.

Never had a chronic prooblem with the SGs. I'm pretty sure there is an indicator light on the dashboard when the bell is pressed successfully. But if the button itself is not working or the connection isn't...

• Advertisement

The L58 and L59 have new timetables from today - supposed to line up with trains at Hazelhatch better. L58 reduced to every 60 minutes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I really wish the 40e timetable was changed slightly to link up with trains from Docklands and Connolly at Broombridge.

Some trains arriving a minute after the bus departs.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

Two weeks until the original launch date for the southside orbitals. I'd say this is delayed again, no word on them at all.

Here's the announcement with the revised timetables: https://www.dublinbus.ie/news/revised-timetables-on-route-l58-and-l59

From a quick glance, the L58 now has clock-face hourly departures in both directions (xx:30 ex. River Forest, xx:00 ex. Hazlehatch), with one extra term-time departure ex. River Forest at 16:00.

For the L59, there doesn't seem to be any changes to the timetable ex. River Forest. Ex. Hazlehatch however, the amount of departures is pretty much the same, but the times are slightly adjusted to account for the train timetables. There is also an extra term-time departure at 07:33 ex. Hazlehatch, which will essentially double the capacity of the 07:31 departure.

Also slightly OT, but while I was checking the timetable changes out, I noticed the announcement of the 140 terminus (stop 7149) at IKEA is being removed, meaning the 140 will now be sharing the layover area and stop 7698 with the 155 now by the looks of it.

Any idea why this has been done? Also how do they plan on getting the bus turned around- go in the main entrance to use the roundabout there?

https://www.dublinbus.ie/news/terminus-change-on-route-140

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

The 140, now goes down the road, around the corner and there's a Bus-only U-turn signal at the entrance to the new city council building. The first stop inbound is on the opposite side to the terminus. IKEA have wanted the buses out of their car-park for a long time now, and it's only going to inconvenience the people coming out with their flat packs. They won't even let a driver go in to use the loo, so with the extra time needed to get the turn etc, buses are leaving late and journeys are being lost.

On the bells, there is an indicator light on the dashboard of all buses to alert the driver that the bell has been pressed. The issues are that if the doors don't open fully then the bell doesn't properly reset, and the light stays on for the driver. Secondly, the PA bells are all wireless and each button has a battery inside which obviously needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

That's good to know about the bells, but when I ran into that issue yesterday (has happened half a dozen times in the past 2 weeks) and when I said it to the driver , he looked down at the dashboard and then looked up and said sorry. Might there be an obstruction blocking the view of this indicator on the SG buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Yeah, it depends on how he has the steering wheel and dash adjusted, some positions can completely obscure the bell indicator light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

That's good to know thanks for the insight

• Advertisement

With the L58 departures effectively halved, what is likely to happen with the surplus drivers (if there actually are any given the shortage)? Would they usually be moved to other local routes to improve reliability issues (maybe L59, L54 - the latter suffering a lot more cancellations lately), or could they moved to any other random route? Maybe one of the upcoming new ones?

Lots of training happening on the G2 recently I see. I could nearly drive the bus around the bend at Letts Field on to the Neilstown Road myself at this stage, I've heard the instructions so many times. I will say that the trainer in question seems very well suited to his job - very positive and complimentary to the trainee.

Good god what is going on today with the C3 and C4. So many buses in a row cancelled to Maynooth this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

They're probably using the drivers to cover the buses that are being used to cover the cancelled trains because lack of train drivers 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

L58 and L59 are operated off one common working timetable in Phibsboro. L54 is a separate timetable in Conyngham Road. The best you can hope for is the reduction helping out other Phibsboro schedules, such as the C1+C2, but this particular move would rely on the spare drivers rather than the base rota.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

No surprise really with the L58, I've never seen more than 1 passenger on it in Celbridge and more often than not it's running empty. It's a bit of a pointless route on the Celbridge side now with the W61/L59 more than enough to cover Hazelhatch and that side of the town.

I've mentioned it here before but it's a pity they don't swap it to serve Confey to Adamstown Station route instead of Hazelhatch, via the new L2010 link road and it could help serve the massive new western chuck of Adamstown which is still expanding and has no bus service at all.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Dated 14 Sep 23

Dear Community Forum Member,   

This is a no-reply email address. Please feel free to email queries to cbc@busconnects.ie 

We are emailing you to provide a status update in relation to the Core Bus Corridors specifically the Kimmage to City Centre Core Bus Corridor Scheme.

It has come to our attention that, two of the non-statutory Site Notices had been erected in the wrong locations along the Kimmage to City Centre Core Bus Corridor Scheme. This issue was rectified on 18th August 2023 and all of the non-statutory Site Notices are now in the correct locations.

In the circumstances, in order to ensure full and effective public participation, an extension of time for inspection, purchase of documents and for the making of submissions/observations is being provided beyond 26th September 2023 to 7th November 2023.

Notices in relation to a further period of time for the making of submissions relating to the Kimmage to City Centre Core Bus Corridor Scheme pursuant to Section 51(3) of the Roads Act 1993 (as amended) and in accordance with Article 4(a) of the of the Third Schedule to the Housing Act 1966 (as amended) relating to the Kimmage to City Centre Core Bus Corridor Scheme Compulsory Purchase Order 2023 will appear in the Irish Independent and the Gazette newspaper on Thursday 14 September 2023.

A copy of the application documentation may be viewed and downloaded free of charge at: www.kimmagescheme.ie.

Please note all previous documents regarding BusConnects are still available on www.busconnects.ie.

All previous submissions/observations or objections submitted to An Bord Pleanála during the previous period of time for the making of submissions/observations or objections, are unaffected by this additional period and do not require to be resubmitted. They will be considered in full by An Bord Pleanála – no further action is required.

Additional submissions/observations may be made in writing to the Board at An Bord Pleanála (Strategic Infrastructure Division), 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1, D01 V902 before 5.30pm on this extended date of 7th November 2023.

Any submissions/observations must be accompanied by a fee of €50 and must be received by the Board not later than 5.30 p.m. on 7th November 2023. This fee will not apply to certain prescribed bodies including those specified in Section 51(3)(b) of the Roads Act 1993 (as amended) or to landowners and others with a legal interest in land who are objecting to compulsory acquisition of land in which they have such an interest in a compulsory acquisition case.

Submissions/observations can also be made on the An Bord Pleanála website at the following address: https://online.pleanala.ie/en-ie/sid/observation.

Yours sincerely,

BusConnects Team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

That is unbelievable. How hard is it to put up a site notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

More blithering, it's like official Ireland is that cousin/uncle you have round for Christmas only who is always telling you how he's finally gonna something about x problem every year but nothing ever seems to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The scheduled roadworks which are to build new cycle lanes between the junction of Stradbrook Road and The Grange Pub in Deansgrange via the cemetery have begun today.

Dublin Bus have put out 2 separate diversion notices for the 84/84a between Blackrock to Newcastle & St Vincent's Hospital/Blackrock to Bray Dart Station on their website.

The 1st diversion notice below is notifying passengers that the 84/84a will continue to use the normal route when going from either Blackrock to Newcastle or from St Vincent's Hospital/Blackrock to Bray Dart Station. However; the return journeys of those routes will be diverted to go past Bakers Corner, Abbey Road and Stradbrook Hill and then back onto the normal route when returning to Blackrock or St. Vincent's Hospital.

The roadworks between Stradbrook Road and Deansgrange will be in place until March 2024.

Dublin Bus - Diversion on Routes 84 and 84a

The 2nd diversion notice for the 84 and 84a relates to roadworks taking place from the corner of Dunnes Stores at Cornelscourt to Cabinteely village.

It says that the bus stops 3126, 3127 & 3128 on that section of The Old Bray Road will not be used for passengers from 19:30pm to 04:00am on Mondays to Fridays for the next three weeks. The 84/84a will use bus stops 3125 & 3130 on the N11 for the duration of these roadworks on The Old Bray Road between Cornelscourt & Cabinteely.

Dublin Bus - Diversion on Routes 84 and 84a

As I posted those updates for the above routes; is that section between Stradbrook Road and Deansgrange still going to allow the planned L26 route from Blackrock to Kilternan to travel along that stretch of road in both directions? Is that new route meant to be rolled out with either the E or B spine?

I also seen some new bicycle beams installed and a narrow cycle lane painted just after the traffic lights at Mount Albany to White's Cross in Newtownpark Avenue. They are only used for one side of the road going up towards Whites Cross. The other side of that road doesn't have them at all. The S8 is going to share that section of road along with the 114 for the Southern orbitals phase of BusConnects. Are the Southern Orbitals still being planned to be rolled out for this Sunday or will they be delayed again until later in the year?

• Advertisement

That section of Deansgrange road that is getting the cycle lane put in will revert to two way once the works are complete, so yes the L26 will be able to travel in both directions along it, whenever it gets introduced (assuming the works are done of course).

Advertisement