Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah you'd have to familiarise oneself with key dates. Any other questions, just pop on here and ask Base Price. Danger she might end up charging for the service😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

I always have a quick browse through them. It's the bible for the all schemes. Very important to check does it suit your farming system. There the goalposts that are set. No point scoring own goals

Form looking at acres this time last year, it was clear for my system that anything that involved a score card was not going to work and cost money, while still getting a low score

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

You’re scored in years 1,3 & 5. If you’re not happy with year 1 scoring then you can be scored in year 2 to get the payment up. Issue with being scored in year 2 means you’ve to be scored in year 4 also, that’s all 5 years. If you get a low score in the later years they can only claw back to the last scoring year. Which possibly could be appealed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Base price

DAFM have extended the requirement for some measures until the 30th of September. In our case the planting of riparian buffer zone (arable) is welcomed as the ground was too wet with all the rain. Click on the link and click on "ACRES Circular No. 18 of 2023 – Extension of deadlines for certain actions" which is the first on the list. You can either download it or view it. AFAIK the IFA requested this extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭qaz123

Wondering your planner give you your score when he came out to assess the fields. The App froze when he landed so he said he would come back some time he was passing and wasn't chatting him since to see how I done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Officially pulled out of ACRES during the week....

Just not worth the hassle....

Weight off my shoulders....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

What was the issues you have foreseen as the reason to have pulled out??

Just curious, as id like to think ive not missed any obvious clauses that could cause problems in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I didnt qualify for the scoring fields element as my land isnt shìt enough....

I was getting 5k in GLAS....i think my new payment would have been around 3k or so...planting 100 trees and a load of hedgerow a few other bits....way too much hardship and cost for fùck all in return...

Its a shìt scheme for some...but is worthwhile for others...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭anthony500_1

You got me at planting trees, I'd not be joining either if it involved trees or hedge rows just cause it's not what I see for my farm personally.

Thanks for the reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RockOrBog

I'll probably pull out too, waiting for a few details to be ironed out first

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm hoping to plant new hedgerows between paddocks here and I'm wondering if Acres might be an option to help pay the cost of it.

It'd be 2 x 150m and 2 x 90m so 480m in total. Free-draining, good ground. Hedges all around the two fields in question, but they're just a little open in the middle so I'm thinking the hedges would be a good shelter belt for cattle/cows.

Is this something that might fit into Acres? Or would I be better to just plant the hedges myself and avoid the paperwork, inspections, scores, etc.?

Thanks.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭massey 265

Im in acres scheme.One of the options i took up was planting new hedgerow.I sowed the quicks (mix of whitethorn ,blackthorn etc ) last april.they cost 1300 eu to do 370 mtrs at 6 per mtr.weed surpress covering cost 200 eu and chips to hold it down were discarded road chippings so no cost .iI rotavated the strip myself and sowed them by sticking them down in hole made with grow bar.The electric fence was already in place ,just moved it out when hedge sowed.All took about 2 days to do start to finish.Acres payment of 370 mtrs @ 5 .29 eu is 1957 eu per year so one years payment should more than cover cost of hedgerow.I think anyone joining acres this year will be for 4 year duration not 5 year as was case last year.Hope thats some kind of guide line for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭amacca

It's a linear action in acres, you get paid by the metre

If you are going to do it anyway, why not get paid for it? I'd say its definitely worth it anyway. Bit of a pain in the hole getting a planner and that will cost you up front ...then the plants will have to be native Irish and will cost you (you'll have to have receipts from supplier) you won't get away with cuttings from a whitethorn/blackthorn you took yourself afaik

I have it in to bump up the payment and was consoling myself that the hassle might be of use in terms of providing shelter etc but you actually want it so win win for you.

Can't see a drawback beyond the terms above, planting a hedgerow isn't scored...it can/will be inspected but that's just a case of the right no and species of plants per m staggered, any failed plants/gaps replaced/filled and a bit of maintenance fencing etc

I'd say you would have the cost minus labour close to recouped year one..... could be wrong though, just an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Just wondering have you any info on what weed covering you got and where. It would be really appreciated

Thanks for replies folks.

Looks like I need to get a planner sorted in the next few days 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Ak84

What are the road chippings?

From roadside trees?

Thats the quicks sowed last april.(not a great picture)The weed supressor can be got in any garden center ,its called ground cover fabric.It comes in 50 mtr rolls x 1 mtr wide at 40 eu a roll.I used 4 rolls approx as i cut it in half while still in roll to give me half mtr wide rolls which were wide enough i.m.o.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Road tar/bitumen planings that are stripped by a machine before resurfacing work. They good for filling in field gateways etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I use a similar job in pipe/stone drains. I have bought the wide rolls and then cut them into 2 foot strips and place over the stones to keep a separation from the soil backfill. Don't know if I'm daft?

Massey, will you cut back the quicks this winter, to get them to tiller? I think they say cut about one inch from the ground. I'd be slow to do it but will rely on any expert advice. thanks for the info and pic.

• Advertisement

Yes i intend to cut them back this backend .Im goin on acres training day next week so will ask planner how best to do it.Just to clarify the road chips i used were the excess chippings that are swept up after a road is resurfaced and discarded as they cannot be used again.Road plannings are a different material and are better suited to gateways and yards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Packrat

Wool which is basically free would do weed suppression and doesn't need weight on top once it rains...

Just an observation.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Planted 500 trees with a spade 18 months ago for Reap scheme.staggered hedge.mainly whitethorn and blackthorn with dog rose Holly and Hazel.I cut back all the white and blackthorn last winter.to about 3 inches off ground.A few trees that I cut have struggled but most are 6/7 feet high now .Blackthorn esp grows like hell. Planting another 1500 for Acres this winter.I sprayed each side of trees to keep weeds/grass down twice .No plastic or gravel.

I've 6 "ton" bags full of the stuff just for that job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I have planted hedges like that as well. Use a budget sprayer with a drift guard to suppress weeds for 12-18 months

Buy good quality hedging keep it cut back for two seasons

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

I intend to cut all the shoots back again this winter too.

I want a good stock proof fence as it's a boundary fence too.

We are organic here last 22 years so no spraying here but never heard of the wool to supress the weeds but if it works then its another option.

I used wool around a new hedge at our dwelling house earlier this year.

You need to pack it on heavy and stamp it down to create a solid barrier. I didn't 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭leoch

I planted a new grisleina hedge around the house but its overtaking with weeds Dock nettles is there a spray that I could use to kill them that won't affect the trees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Waste wool is marketed, "Shoddy" in big bags from Yorkshire.

Advertisement