Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Has this been confirmed yet? I'd be slow to totally buy into this 'cos I'm reserving some judgement that any company is that myopic or stupid as to make its already bad-PR day even worse.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Rather hilariously, MSs acquisition has resulted in a load of leaks throughout the industry, and now the FTC has accidentally leaked the entire Series mid gen refresh strategy, like almost everything.

New consoles coming in 2025 2024 (I got confused by their financial calendar year), with a focus on sustainability, a connectivity upgrade (better WiFi and Bluetooth), and a move to all digital. That last one will be controversial, but that's clearly the way the industry is moving, despite loads of people complaining about it.

New controller coming too, basically copying the PS5s best feature with the increased haptics. Includes a rechargeable, removal battery.

Looks like a can of coke.

New gen aiming to launch in 2028, with all you'd expect really, like ML & AI, along with "the power of the cloud", essentially.

Post edited by CatInABox on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Back in 2020, Phil Spencer sent an email that essentially says Nintendo would be their number one get, and their only reason for not going after it is that they're too successful 😂

I'd say that they'd still love to buy them, but this is now ridiculous given the scandal around them buying ABK.

Nintendo have no reason to sell. They somehow have carved a niche for themselves where their customers are happy to pay more for games that perform worse on their console than on other platforms.

They must be performing voodoo magic in their offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

What does that Play anywhere and Direct to Cloud mean on the new controller? the haptics etc I can take it or leave it .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Obviously likely just pie in the sky stuff and probably not anything Spencer has seriously pursued (also: acquiring Japanese companies is a whole other ball game). The irony of course being that Nintendo has been doing perfectly well - in fact, excelling - by doing its own thing, whereas Xbox has consistently lagged behind in software and hardware and is buying itself an advantage only thanks to the infinite war chest of its parent company. The whole idea of the least successful ‘big three’ hardware manufacturer buying up one of the most successful is real topsy-turvy stuff, but very illustrative of the nonsense of corporate consolidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I am guessing Direct to cloud is similar tech to what stadia had, and the controller connects to the server via wi-fi rather than to the phone/console/firestick via Bluetooth. So the "Play anywhere" allows you to use multiple methods to connect to the game and not just Bluetooth. So you can play on devices that are not Bluetooth enabled.

I'd guess that the play anywhere is just a reference to the fact that it'll connect to more devices, and it'll be easier to manage those devices, i.e. connect to more than two devices and be easier to swap between them.

The direct to cloud thing is lifted directly from Stadia, where the controller connects to the WiFi and bypasses the TV/set top box. Reduces input latency for cloud gaming, essentially.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of strange how Microsoft thought they had a shot at buying Nintendo. Nintendo in terms of cash flow are far better off than Sony or Microsoft and have absolutely no reason to sell.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I was holding off on buying a Series X, hoping there'd be a new version released that was smaller and with more storage. But I really hope that is not the final design, a cylinder suggests it cannot be placed horizontally and that just won't work for the space most people have under their TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I wonder will they give players some way to play disks. I'm pretty sure if you put the game on your console at some point they will give you the digital version. Otherwise what do you do with your disks when you upgrade.

But the black Friday end of life sale for the Series S 500gb for $200 is interesting. That's a great little kit. Perfect for anyone that just wants to dip into the occasional Xbox game and cat justify the €500 for the X.

I'd guess that there'd be a flat section, which would allow for it to be horizontal. The MS guys are very good at designing consoles, since the One S at least, so I'd have confidence that they've thought of that.

MS have looked into this before, and some of their ideas were actually pretty good, like an in-store exchange system (which might have saved the bricks and mortar chain stores), or a way to authenticate a disc by having it in a different console, although that's not as useful as a permanent swap. Mid/long term though, I can't see the next gen having a disc drive at all. The PS refresh has no drive, albeit does have a place to attach one, but I'd hazard a guess that the disk drive attachment will never drop in price, will be scarce, and might actually increase in price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH the main reason I’d ponder a Series X is because of its backwards compatibility with the original Xbox and 360 gen. Have a big catalogue of Rock Band titles and Cave shooters on disc I’d love to revisit, so that’d be the one thing pushing me towards a Series X at some stage. Given virtually everything new is on GamePass PC at the moment, an all digital Xbox just doesn’t really appeal at all, no matter the price.

Another bit of the leak is the decision road map on the next gen console, which is pretty standard, but does have one interesting segment:

The "ARM64 decision" one, which makes it look like they're thinking of swapping processor on the console. Might have Back Compat issues then, but having been using the Apple Silicon for the last while, the difference in performance/watt is stark. Didn't think it'd be so obvious, me being a windows person for decades at this point, but there really is a huge difference in power by going ARM.

With it being Xbox and solely focused on games, they should avoid the pitfall that befell their Surface Pro X, which had none of the upsides of the ARM transition, and all of the downsides of running windows through emulation

Nintendo's free cash flow was $2.5bn in 2022.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/NTDOY/nintendo/free-cash-flow

Microsoft was $65bn. How are Nintendo far better off that this?

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/MSFT/microsoft/free-cash-flow

Sony was $7bn for 2022 but has since gone negative in YTD 2023.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/SONY/sony/free-cash-flow

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Because that's Microsoft as a whole, rather than their gaming division. Whereas Nintendo are pretty much purely a gaming (and associated licensing, entertainment etc) company.

Microsoft in their FTC documents when trying to push through the purchase of Activision pretty much outlined how they're behind Nintendo and Sony in terms of gaming.

Microsoft' gaming division would need Nintendo far more than Nintendo would need help from Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

A Microsoft owned Nintendo sounds grim to be fair. And it sounds like Phil doesn’t get Nintendo anyway if he thinks their future is away from their own hardware.

Nintendo for decades now have liked to create unique hardware and build new gameplay experiences around it, which they’ve largely been successful at.

Under Microsoft, new games would be on powerful consoles but would probably be less unique experiences.

Nintendo would benefit Microsoft far more than Microsoft would benefit Nintendo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cashflow and free cashflow are two very different things. Nintendo are very focused on cashflow, it's the reason their games are so expensive, not because they are being greedy but by balancing supply so their cashflow isn't locked up in inventory that needs to be discounted. Not to mention their vast cash reserves which aren't reported but supposedly are colossal.

Ive seen a lot of talk about moving away from x86 architecture. ARM just makes so much more sense now and apple silicon is really showing up how poor x86 is. x86 is all about backwards compatibility but there's a lot of resources wasted on redundant processes from as far back as the 70s. Honestly could think it goes as far as desktop PC gaming going arm as well. Apparently apple silicon as excellent x86 backwards compatibility as well.

• Advertisement

Exactly. While some Switch games definitely have performance issues, the core audience of Nintendo games don't care about Mario in 8K 120fps with ray tracing, or cloud gaming. Nintendo have always excelled with their hardware and creating games which suit their hardware. Their handhelds have always become completely ubiquitous and particularly how the Switch was a hybrid console/handheld. Trying to convert parents from buying a simple carry&play anywhere handheld to some sort of "play your games on the cloud" model would be a near impossible sell for most.

Nintendo have no reason to move away from having their own platform and keeping their own games on their own platform, even if there's a buddy of Phil Spencer's on the BoD pushing for more return from their shares.

Given how hard it was to push through buying Activision/Blizzard, I'd fail to see how they could be allowed to justify buying Nintendo. And more importantly, I'd dread to think of the impact that would have on Nintendo's game design.

TBH I don’t think it’s a serious strategy as opposed to just something Phil Spencer would like in his perfect world. But even in the unlikely event they did pursue it, the main thing is that acquiring Japanese companies is a much harder thing - my limited understanding of Japanese competition law is that they don’t look too favourably on international firms acquiring local ones.

I think you just have to look at how much rare improved under Nintendo and then fell apart under Microsoft to see how bad it could be.

It's certainly strange how Phil says "The unfortunate (or fortunate for Nintendo) situation is that Nintendo is sitting on a big pile of cash, they have a BoD that until recently has not pushed for further increases in market growth or stock appreciation."

I get why that's an unfortunate thing in terms of the chances of a takeover etc, but it's just weird to see that written out like it's a bad thing.

I think it means Nintendo are a very healthy company so really don't need a take over to stabilise them and have a board of directors that are very conservative and not pushing for the usual capitalist push for continuous growth at the cost over everything, meaning they arent morons and really know their business.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

Yes, this is pretty clearly their thinking. If the switch turned out to be another Wii U, then the conversation would be very different.

Oh that's definitely what it means, just jarring to see Spencer talk about that like it's a bad thing and something he hopes changes.

If Nintendo had four WiiUs in a row they would still be in a healthy position with the amount of cash reserves they have as well as very marketable IP. Their stock price falling would be the biggest issue but they'd be still be better off than, say, Sony due to how Sony operate.

Well it is bad for Microsoft. The business is stable and they are run by what seems like very experienced and conservative board of directors so there's very little hope of a buy out going through.

It would be a repeat of when MS approached Nintendo for a buy out during the first Xbox and hey were literally laughed out of the board room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

I hope that new console is not a cylinder and can still lie flat. Have console manufacturers never looked at what most TV setups and cabinets look like? You'd never get Sky or Virgin Media bringing out a box that has to stand vertical. The Series X is already incredibly awkward when put horizontally under the TV due to its weird proportions.

• Advertisement

Microsoft could buy Nintendo, "cash flow" certainly isn't the issue. Microsoft could probably buy Sony if they wanted to.*

But for Nintendo there's simply no reason to sell. They are thriving just fine without the need for investment or a buy out. That's why it will never happen, not because of "superior cash flow".

*I got curious so I looked it up. Sony market cap is approx $110bn. Microsoft has cash reserves of $111bn.

Advertisement