Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Scotland are better than they've been for a long time but SA showed just how limited they are if we are being honest. They've had a few good results against a brutal English team but were beaten by Wales in '22 6N and got over them this year. They beat a French b team in the warmups. Other than beating England recently and getting over a poor Welsh team their results are nothing to write home about. They lost a tour to Argentina last Summer, there's nothing particularly bad about any of their results but they are not coming into this WC with a string of results that suggest Scotland are going to surprise anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The two week gap is handy as if we need something from the Scotland match the players will be well rested.

If we get another bonus point win against South Africa and Scotland fail to get 5 points against Tonga this weekend then the IrevSco match won’t matter to us, we’d still top the group.

We could put out a fully rotated side and try to avoid injuries.

I’m not expecting us to get a bonus point win this weekend, and I think Scotland will get a bonus point win against Tonga, so my prediction is that we’ll have to go fully loaded against Scotland, which is reminiscent of the situation we had in 2015; we beat France to avoid NZ but lost about 5 key players and ended up losing to Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭eire4

"If we are being honest" seriously stop it. I never suggested even remotely that Scotland were anywhere good enough to beat the current world champions. I simply said that in addition to some of the other good sides that we have beaten inside the last 18 months we could add Scotland who are also a decent side which they are.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

World Rugby controls the TV feed for everyone. French TV has zero input

Ah relax, I didn't suggest that you did say they were good enough to beat SA, Im simply pointing out that they haven't done anything to suggest they'll surprise anyone, and by that I mean anyone watching. They didn't fire a shot against SA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Didn’t realise that. There was me blaming the French directors for all the artistic slow motion clips of players faces in between plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm going to get grief for this, but I can't see Scotland improving with Russel at outhalf.

The other players outside him look scared to do anything. Can't have a one man team. Plus Scotland are pretty poor, but could be a better sum without Russell.

Relax..... nice try at trying to evade responsibility for what you said yourself. I am just quoting the exact words you used yourself so its you who should be doing the reassessment. The fact Scotland were well beaten by World Champions South Africa does not change the fact that they are a decent side overall which is the only point I originally made in addition to another posters point that Ireland has indeed played and beaten some decent sides in more recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

Hmm, Scotland improved a lot this year. A real positive for the six nations. Playing an entertaining brand of rugby.

I don't see any evidence to say other players are scared to do anything. Can you highlight any games you witnessed this.

In fact, he's probably the most gifted play making 10 in world rugby.

They would be better served with a world class tight five than to drop russell IMO. And unfortunately the other option of Healy is just not international quality.

I have to laugh at some of the language and tone people use on here while gossiping about rugby and debating the games. Scotland are better than they've been and they've performed against poor English and Welsh teams but that is that, but they've been well handled by better teams and the beating SA gave them should reinforce that.

Russel is one of the most skillful players in the scene at the moment and when he has space and time and a disorganized opponent he is very dangerous, but shorn of that space, and against an opponent playing to his weakness, he is very ordinary and his mistakes pile up. He is like Quade Cooper in that regard. He was played off the park by SA who deployed the defense they were always going to deploy, linespeed and crowding his passing channel. He had no answer and kept doing the same thing that wasn't working. That does not make him one of the best 10s in the world, because he is one dimensional and a poor manager of the game. He failed to play territory against SA which is why Scotland only scored 3 points.

• Advertisement

You certainly won't get grief on here for having a cut off Finn Russell!

Statement made by eire - 'Scotland are a decent side'. Why you had to ramble on about losing to the world champions is beyond me.

So your argument is Scotland have an excellent pack but Russell is whats wrong with Scottish rugby? In fact if Ben Healy was playing against South Africa, Scotland would have matched them physically?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Some people are getting worried about South Africa. This seems to be based on some of their World Cup warm up victories. They had some impressive results but as we saw ourselves, the warm up games were more about getting some match time into the legs of players but the games themselves lacked much intensity. No one wants to get injured on the eve of the World Cup. Look at Healy.

We haven't played them that much recently but we beat them last year and I think we're a much better team than them. When looking at other results etc we have to remember that some countries are at a low ebb. I think New Zealand, Australia and England have the weakest squads they've ever had at a World Cup. Wales and Argentina are far off their best, Scotland as well. That only leaves a few potential winners.

South Africa have had some good results on paper but scratch a bit deeper and you'll see their opposition have been quite poor. They haven't faced a team with our strength and ability. I think we will beat South Africa by 6-10 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ribs1234

And who do you think world rugby employs to do it? Do world rugby have their own tv department (unlikely). They might control the tv feed as far as only the correct contracted tv channels get the feed but I doubt they censor the live content. The broadcasting of matches so far has closely matched the French top14 tv style.

It is not important as the stadia are showing very limited replays, and for some bizarre reason they are not showing earlier games there either (no big screen outside the stadium in Bordeaux and no games being shown live inside) - it is no wonder there is a last minute rush to the stadium.

They use a company called HBS (Host Broadcast Service) for the whole tournament. They do the FIFA tournaments as well as far as I know.

The French broadcasters are giving out a lot about both the lack of replays and the fact everyone is blaming them for it.

I don't know why the fan zones are apparently such a disaster. I was planning on going to the one in Marseille for the semis and final but doubt I'll bother if it's as shite as everyone is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

A hundred metres down the road from it there's a rake of pubs (English-Irish-French) that all have TVs and tables outside that will have a lot better atmosphere and - more importantly - actually show live games.

I made a critique of Russels game against SA and I argued that Scotland's record does not reinforce the idea that they are anything special. The have some excellent players but not a great team and I like the way they play too, but it hasn't been particularly successful. Australia are a decent side, so what.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Russells weakness is that he is a one-trick pony. The trick being his high energy running/offloading game

Now , it's a very very good trick and he's the best proponent of it out there right now by some margin , but when that gets shut down by an efficient defence with high line speed then he has no plan B and he just keeps trying to do the same thing over and over again.

He might get one offload that leads to a nice score (see Racing vs Leinster last year or against Ireland this year) but that's it.

Against SA instead of sitting a little deeper and kicking to challenge out wide using his much bigger wingers etc. he just kept banging away at the line getting shut down time and time again.

The point raised was whether Scotland would be best served playing without Russell as opposed to with. I claimed that Scotland's problems lie consistently in there forward pack rather than at the hands of Russell.

I don't see a huge difference between ntamack and Russell from a controlling 10 point of view but Russell seems to create vitriol amongst people on this forum.

Scotland got destroyed at the breakdown, at the lineout, and at the scrum but the reason Scotland only scored 3 points was because of Russell not playing Territory?

As far as I can see no one has claimed they are anything special but that there a 'decent side'. It all depends what you class as decent in your books.

• Advertisement

I am not seeing 'vitriol', instead I see considered criticisms of Russells play. It's top level sport, players get criticized for what they do not who they are. Ntemack has skills to run the ball and make outrageous offloads and passes but he also routinely defaults to territorial kicking and adjusts his positioning as needed. Russell is criticized for having only one gear. He gets away with it more often with Racing because they have top players all over the field and are very well coached, it doesn't/hasn't worked for Scotland, other than beating a very poor England team a couple of times. That has papered over what's a limited gameplan that will never work against the best sides. Feel free to disagree by all means, plenty of people do. But spare me the melodrama.

Have to laugh at the language and tone you take when trying to not only evade responsibility for what you said and were called on and now even try and turn it around as if others are the ones with the problem. As I said earlier I am just quoting the exact words you used yourself so its you who should be doing the reassessment. 

Again Scotland are indeed a decent side in the overall scheme of things that Ireland have beaten in more recent times then 18 months ago which is the only point I have made in regard to them. I never described them as special or anything else.

Take a bath or something. I have no idea what you are going on about.

Haha well either your being disingenuous or your just trolling now. But just for clarity lets recap.

I originally state when it was pointed out that Ireland had played and beaten some good teams in less then the last 18 months I added in that we had also beaten Scotland more recently with Scotland been a decent side also. You respond to that and to quote you:

"SA showed just how limited they are if we are being honest." I never suggested in any way shape or form they are or were at the level of the reigning world champions. I never claimed they were anything other then a decent side which they are. So if you want to question anybody's honesty save it for yourself.

Then in response you tell me to "relax" as if I am the one who has the issue here and then go on to double down on your South African comparison saying "They didn't fire a shot against SA." You attempt to evade responsibility for what you said yourself and again suggest it is someone else who is the problem. You double down then on evading responsibility for what you yourself said and continue to try and play it like others are the problem when you say :

"I have to laugh at some of the language and tone people use on here while gossiping about rugby and debating the games."

Now your latest is toss out an insult and claim (IMHO disingenuously) when you say:

"Take a bath or something. I have no idea what you are going on about."

Once again I reiterate what I said from the off Scotland are a decent side that Ireland have played and beaten in more recent months then 18 months ago.

So you are agreeing ntamack is very similar to Russell?

Only ntamack plays alongside the worlds best 9 for club and country. And the French and Toulouse game plan is controlled from 9 as opposed to 10.

I really don't know what your going on about on your final rambling but like I said before Scotland are a decent outfit. Nothing more nothing less so stop implying what no-one is saying.

You keep referring to Scotland beating a poor English side winning 4 of the last 6 games, but in the last 8 year Scotland have won 6 out of 13 games against France. Does that make the French a poor team too?

You'll have to read what I wrote about Ntemack again, he does what Russell does, plus he does what Russell doesn't. Different players. And in fairness to Scotland's record against the French, they also weren't very good during the vast majority of that period. Scotland and Russell flatter to deceive. But Ive no interest in trashing them, just a response to an earlier comment that Scotland are decent in the context of Ireland and south Africa. Whatever decent means, they are well off both those teams which SA showed well enough last week and I'd be confident Ireland will do the same in a couple of weeks time.

I have no idea what you mean by decent but for a 6N team I would suggest that decent means doing better than scoring 3 points against SA in the World Cup. Romania would be very decent to get Scotland's result against SA, but I'd bet Scottish players, coaches and fans were extremely disappointed with that result. They won't be describing it as decent. SA showed how limited they are, that's exactly what they did. I honestly don't know how anyone can say otherwise. Scotland are ranked number 5 in the world and got it all wrong against SA, how is that decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I must be one of the few on here who likes Russell, think he's a fine outhalf in a not great team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mod: @eire4 Do not accuse another poster of trolling. If you have an issue with a post, report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

But SA are crap in those sports. Cricket - never made a final nevermind won a trophy at international level.

Soccer - qualified for one World Cup (as the host)? How have they gone in the African Nations?

Boxing and athletics - do they even get medals at the Olympics in these sports?

Advertisement