Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Beaker is still banging his drum in the Indo today. He seems to want justice applied to those who weren't truthful in RTE and the reporting of Tubridy's salary. Apart from the very Alan Partridge appearance at a pensions seminar by Tubridy, Tubridy seems to have dropped out of the news cycle or at least what passes for it in the Irish media. Those fantastic job offers seem to be just that -- fantasy. The sheer lack of job offers is going to have a serious effect on salaries for other RTE "talent". Beaker does have a point. The pruning of RTE needs to be more than just the staff. The management responsible for the mess that is RTE deserve to be in the front line for job cuts.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/fionnan-sheahan-rte-applied-the-rod-to-tubridy-but-its-quest-for-justice-seemed-to-wither-before-the-rest-of-them/a1278044555.html

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

His recent appearance on Dunphy's podcast recently was ridiculous. The two of them competing to rehab Tubs. The angle now is to pretend he was just an innocent bystander, a mere patsy, in this much larger story which is the den of inequity that is RTE.

As I've said numerous times, forget the Renault sham to get him extra salary top ups, forget even the 150k that no one is ever going to see again. Tubridy presided over a closed shop on the LLS. He and his agent turned it into the Noel and Ryan Show where practically every week a succession of NK Mgt people were wheeled out to self promote their RTE work and often their own businesses. This was often at the expense of valid stories that got no airing in the Tubridy era, simply because their was no revenue raising angle for NK, or because of some conflict of interest issue with LLS sponsors.

For that alone, the little wizzend pr**k should never be allowed on the grounds of RTE again, never mind all the serious financial chicanery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The Irish Times has said that the first show of the LLS with PK got 22% more viewers than RT's last show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

I heard that today but I'm questioning all the figures. I can imagine Kielty's LLS got 1m viewers. So many people I know including myself watched it. But you can't tell me Tubs was getting 750k weekly viewers. I could count on one hand the number of people I know watched it. Outside of the toy show which has become a tradition, you would be hard pressed to find a viewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can he maintain the viewership tho - the first episode of each season was always the highest viewed but those numbers are very large compared to RT's tenure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Looking at the figures for the 2022 season it was only around 500k and dropped rapidly with each successive episode.

RTE's Late Late Show sees dip in ratings since start of season - Irish Mirror Online

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Tubs is plugging pensions now according to the indo.

BBC, UTV and Channel 4 must still be slugging it out for the coup of snatching Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thats not fair. BBC already got landed with him once. Think they should be exempted this time round.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

RenaultMan has another Instagram book recommendation post up. Curiously the books look pristine and perfect, even the coverlets…..which would suggest not a page has been turned on any of them.

Of course the comments (99%+ are from women) are entirely praising the “host” talking about how amazing he is, how kind, etc. etc. ….not a single mention of a missing sum of money….all nasty and #unkind comments are deleted as soon as they are posted I’d wager.

Tubs (like another bluffer, Joe Duffy) is that rare breed of author who I’d bet has written more books than he has read. Quite an achievement.

I’m off to throw up before I go to bed. Goodnight.

• Advertisement

The spines of paperbacks provide an indication that a book has been read. If they have a glossy cover, as most do, there will be wrinkles in the gloss. They also tend to have a concave curve due to people holding them open to read. Without his radio show, Tubridy probably won't generate high numbers of sales, I'm not sure that publishers would even risk running an an endorsement from Tubridy as a blurb. If his Instagram fanbase is largely women then he should be mainly promoting Chick Lit titles. That's a very competitive genre and Tubridy's opinion wouldn't account for much.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Folks... as a matter of interest, how many 'Researchers' is normal for a Radio show? Did Turbridy have more than usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

From medialive.ie adults 15+ (random months)

1. Jan 2010 - 676k
    2. Feb 2011 - 696k
    3. Mar 2012 - 600k
    4. May 2013 - 521k
    5. Sep 2014 - 501k
    6. Apr 2015 - 479k
    7. Oct 2016 - 494k
    8. Dec 2017 - 452k (ex Toy Show)
    9. Nov 2018 - 428k (ex Toy Show)
    10. Oct 2019 - 423k
    11. Mar 2020 - 570k
    12. Jan 2021 - 468k
    13. Oct 2022 - 340k

Tubs kept up his audience by introducing specials, Valentines, Country and a few others over the years. He'd dip on a weekly bases that 340k he was dangerously close to getting but he'd have some special that would increase the audience. Then that bounce in 2020 well that's the mid-misery bounce. This is Covid era TLLS, but also it comes from 3 "successful" specials for Gay Byrne, Keelan Shanley and Marian Finnucan, somewhere even dissappointed that he didn't do a Larry Gogan episode, that week the numbers were also up.

Figures are for the +15 age group, random months from medialive.ie, average for TLLS in that month of broadcast.

Pat's last month had 652k viewers .... and his first ..... 658k

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Now on to the Photographer, who has held the position since 2011 on the Fair City set.

She is quite annoied that people don't see the art in what she does. She goes on to say that she is an independent contractor (who took the job from full time employees in RTÉ. BTW, they once had a stills department), she doesn't get holidays, pensions etc but she works 30 hours over 3 days on the FC set (I am guessing filming on FC is Monday to Thursday), she has no holidays.

I wonder who much expenses she gets for her work on top of the €60k or is that an all in figure, and is she only getting €60k or is it €80k and is it 30 hours or 20 hours, and how many photos did she submit each week.

And if she been there so long.... shouldn't she be considered an employee?

Much like your actor colleagues on FC your not an artist and your not a jobbing photographer, your large at the top of your profession as a corporate photographer.

Oh and you know you were probable they only person applying for that position.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

It would be interesting to know her qualifications and her previous work history.

How she got the job and was there an interview process or was it good old nudge nudge wink wink it's Rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Why are people still obsessed with RT? He and his agent weren't in charge of RTE. Is it any wonder that RTE management have gotten with overpaying staff for years. It's very easy for them to just point somewhere else and people ignore the core issue which is decades of bad management at RTE.

RT got paid what he did because RTE chose to pay him that for years. The late late show numbers would naturally be dropping over the years due to extra competition from Netflix, streaming platforms etc. His salary should have followed the same direction.

If there is really going to be change in RTE people need to stop obsessing over media personalities and start focusing on the actual decision makers. RT and NK did not and don't run RTE.

As long as the focus is on an unemployed presenter and not on the people who chose to pay RT stupid amounts of money there will never be any change. There will just be another scandal and instead of RT it will be someone else.

Even when it comes to the 150k we still don't know who in RTE approved it and why. If the management in RTE did their job it wouldn't have been agreed or at least there would have been a proper paper trail. This focus on RT let's RTE management off the hook completely and gives them room to make the same mistakes in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

You're asking why people are obsessed about RT on a thread about RT.

Would you accuse people on threads dedicated to weather of being obsessed with weather?

Like RT you have problems reading the room.

Post edited by yagan on

Ability to take a good photo doesn’t need a formal qualification. I’d lay a bet she is a relation to a board member of RTE. Family business that it is. She should ask herself if she could earn the same elsewhere. The answer would be a resounding no. Nothing has changed and nothing will change with regard to entitlement in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I presume they will have to get RT back for the Toyshow? Can't do the Toyshow without the wooden Toyman can they? Will PK be able to be as cringe and awkward around kids?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

For that job she should have a formal Photography qualification.

It's a well paid gig that should require a qualification. It would be interesting to know if she had one... or if she was just someone who was good at taking a pic. Or if she was related to someone. Or all 3 of the above.

I work full time as an artistic photographer for the last 14 years and I wouldn't be able to do that job. I don't have the skill sets or training required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I’ve seen figures where he was around 380k some weeks- very poor.

And of course let’s not forget- 2020 and 2021 were the lockdown years- if you can’t get an audience then, well FFS what are you doing?

Just thinking back on some of the last toy shows- they gave the reason of “many people suffering financially” for not showing the normal level of toys/ I call poppycock to that considering the toy show took place in the 1980s at a time of mass emigration and double figure unemployment - more like they wanted to promote Ryan as some sort of Peter Pan children saviour and milk his “brand”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Ability to take a good photograph takes practice, skill and effort. The ignorant Senator's comments are typical of those who don't value the arts. The photographer's reply is brilliant. Beta Bajgart is her name. Try reading it with an open mind

I hadn't realised she'd been named and had only read the bit in the previous post.

Very impressive credentials.

I agree, I was replying to posts about Tubs audience figures vr Kielty's. Tubs is just part of this wider scandal. At the oireachtas committee they were almost afraid to mention Dee Forbes, I don't think either Covney or O'Leary were name check but Tubs was mentioned 5 or 6 times without hesitation.

Largely the story breaks with Tubs, but we see RTÉ (I would say I have always seen) spending money here their and anywhere without much thought. Again I would just highlight the Today show, the pay that some Fair City stars are complaining about, to see the absolute waste in the company. Crimecall got a new set, for a monthly show. How often did Claire Byrne change her desk on CB Live? They have consitantly shown that they like to spend in areas that they have no right to spend on... resulting in failing to maintain the Radio Studio and their Cork Studio.

______

Yesterday

I didn't want to name her as I don't think she should be thrown into this. I agree but again I would say that she is largely a corporate photographer. As I say she took over the role from RTÉ employees who were full time with the company, saving RTÉ on the range of things she mentions in her post.

______

Yesterday

Fewer staff, more bonuses and pay rises for the mismanagement?

Regards...jmcc

I think the most interesting part would be her surname.

I have formal photography qualifications (seriously, it’s a hobby for me but I have completed numerous courses). I wonder can I apply for this role, or is it just for relatives of existing RTÉ staffers?

Not that I want the job but it would be interesting to see how an application from an outsider would be handled.

• Advertisement

She was named here less than one page back. Beta Bajgart.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement