Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No New Contract For Vera Pauw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So outrageous of the Spanish womens team to refuse to play and to have opinions, even after their manager was sacked.

I remember both French mens Soccer and Rugby teams who played and ignored the manager altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its a pity our mens team wouldnt demand high standards. They are happy to lose away under a failed regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Who would manage that womens team now ?

That player is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is not how I see it at all, a cohort of players seem to think they are bigger the than manager, and are unwilling to give her credit for any achievements.

Also the alleged issues in the USA again seem to be based on the manager trying to raise standards and be professional.

Then there is this interview by Caldwell which does not make any sense, as she claims the players wanted to more professional then blamed Rudd Dokter. Yet by the very fact she gave an interview like this screams unprofessionalism of itself?

Something does not add up.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Field east

Based on this interview I cannot wait to see this lady being proven right>!!!!!!!!!? She is basically saying that the current players could not perform to their full potential because they were held back by Pauw’s methods. This lady has now put the current team under fierce pressure for their next few matches , at least. I a. Of the opinion that she will probably have to ‘ eat her words’.

• Advertisement

Exactly, if the Irish team do not do even better than before what will the excuse be? Caldwell has created a rod by which the players can be beaten now, unless they are exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

No way should a Man take over that team, there seems to be a core of divas at play who will bury whoever steps on their toes, they will pounce on any issue and a man at the helm would be very open to allegations. FAI got what they deserve. It's unlikely we will reach a world cup during the playing lifetime of any of these players. Vera way over achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The new manager, the FAI, the media, sexism, take your pick.

There is another thing I realised as well. I praised the women after the world cup and suggested many of them could well financially after it, as they are marketable etc. But an interview like Caldwell's hardly helps the teams earning power? Madness to give an interview like the more I think of it.

I get the impression that because of the climate around female sports in general now, the journalists will be very reluctant to investigate properly, call things as they would in mens sports etc.

If there was a Caldwell interview in the males equivalent there would be uproar - calls of unprofessionalism on Cladwell's part by some quarters, and others would seriously investigate the allegations. Interviewing Ruud Dokter to give his side of the story Caldwell relayed for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Good God, what a way to squander goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭Water John

She was doing the team interview before Saturdays match. She could have gone with non descript waffle as many do. Either way she would get slammed. Don't know where right and wrong is on the overall issue but some on here seem to be totally knowledgeable on the facts, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The playing squad are an absolutely dysfunctional rabble.

Not true, I would not have noticed the interview only for the headline where Caldwell said the players were responsible for the success, and not Pauw.

I would not have noticed it otherwise, it was the headline which caught my attention. I assumed it was clickbait first, but then when I listened to the interview I was shocked. Interviews like that are rare in soccer.

I assume many others were the same when they heard it. If it was generic waffle few would have paid any heed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

That's one way to invite unprecedented scrutiny and pressure onto your team.

I looked up Diane Caldwell. Is the reason that there is tension between herself and Pauw that she was dropped from the starting team in 2021 ?

From the article above 2021-

Courage’s Diane Caldwell has been unable to command selection in the team.

“It’s very, very difficult for [Caldwell],” said Pauw. “I’ve spoken to her of course. I had a long meeting by Teams, we do put a lot of energy into it.

“That is one of those very unfortunate situations in top level sport. If somebody is doing so well, the team needs that kind of quality and with Niamh Fahey doing so well on the right side, yeah, you get to a point that you need to make a choice."

--

Cladwell is 35 years of age now - she was 33 when she was dropped by Pauw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Pretty shocking thing to say after Pauw made an effort to emphasise that the players were not involved in her departure, which to me seemed like an attempt to shield them from the media (because some of them certainly did seem to be involved).

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

You might have a point there.

And I don't get Caldwell's interview either, sounds a bit close to the bone. But who knows, maybe Caldwell was one of those senior players who was able to talk on this level all along with Pauw and never saw eye to eye. And maybe not a surprise for Pauw to hear But it sounds harsh when she says it on national tv and a bit of a put down on someone whose not there to defend it. Someone who on the outside gave nothing but praise for her squad.

She's a good CB and put in many a good shift with us. Had a season with Utd but got injured halfway through and was then released in 2022. Maybe her age/injuries caught up with her and just wasnt up to that risk in the matches in WC and we only saw a cameo of her in the end.

Be interesting to see the team line up on Saturday. I'll be there. We're in a group that we should come out on top of. But Diane's words throw a bit of unwanted pressure on it now.......

They will have a film made of it the way this the way it is going -

Angeline Ball as Vera Pauw

Susan Loughnane as Diane Caldwell

Saorise Ronan as Katie McCabe

in 'Dutch courage' the story of the Irish women's football team's Kangaroo Court at the Australian world cup - at all good cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

These girls did very well financially from reaching a world cup that they barely deserved to be in. Vera put money in their pockets, eaten bread is easily forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Diane Caldwell has just said that Ireland qualified for the World Cup in spite of Vera Pauw.

If this is true then why has Diane Caldwell never played in a World Cup prior to Pauw taking over as manager, she's been on the team since 2006 and yet never got close to playing in a major tournament before this year.Surely if she was holding them back so much then Diane and her gallant team mates would have been regularly qualifying for tournaments for years.

I note that Caldwell was dropped from the team for some games by Vera Pauw (what a surprise it is to find that out)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The problem Pauw has is that this sort of negative press seems to follow her around.

The story from Houston came out months ago and a lot of people especially over on the Soccer board were willing to dismiss it because Vera was "our" coach and what did these Americans know anyway.

But now months on Pauw had public spats with the captain at the tournament, not having her contract renewed and now another senior player calling her out.

So how can Pauw generate such negativity from Houston and Ireland without actually being the problem itself ?

If it looks like a duck etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yesterdays interview was more delusion and bitterness from a disgruntled veteran than anything to do with Pauw. Caldwells claims were nonsensical.

Based on what though? Personally I think if you look at it what Pauw asked of the squad is nothing that her male equivalent would not ask of the team.

The Dutch as a people are very straight talking and you know where you stand with them. The impression I get is some people just can't handle it. And women (unlike the men) are more prone to react by bitchiness (Caldwell) and small cohort in Houston Dynamo who set out to tar Pauw (and it worked). As society is now terrified of optics and America is very litigious in nature. Remember many in Houston Dynamo came out in support of Pauw.

In male soccer historically the whingers and whiners would be told to get on with with it, but society is slowly turning the men into softies the 'how does that make you feel?' brigade. The pendulum has swung way too far the other way.

In women's soccer it seems even worse there is less chat about stuff on the pitch, and the focus off it is soap opera stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Well put. Women’s soccer wants to be taken seriously, but frequently shoots itself in the foot with these “dramas”. Pauw is well out of what appears a nest of vipers in the lrish camp. It will be interesting to see how they do in the near future now they have gotten rid of their alleged problem Vera pauw…not well l suspect

I don't think it is just in soccer either. A girl I know who is well into the GAA used to play for Dublin in the football etc. She worked for the camogie association for while and to quote what she said they were always 'bitching' over the slightest thing looking to get one up on each other within the organisation.

I get a real sense that this is what happened in the women's soccer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mens soccer wouldn't be immune from "Divas" either to be fair

Look at Sancho and another Dutch manager ten Hag.

The main difference is the majority think Sancho should keep his mouth shut and get on with it, whilst if Vera calls out someone for being feckless she is a horrible bully.

It has to be sexism.

How dare a female act like an elite male coach.

That is is in a nutshell you put it better than I did. The whingers for the sake of whinging are less tolerated in the mens game. The women's game will struggle to improve IMO as male coaches would get eaten alive in that atmosphere of the women's game, so won't want to get involved in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Egypt were a good team in the late 80s/early 90s.

Afcon winners in 1986, beat Scotland in the run-up to Italia 90, drew with Euro 88 winners Holland at the World Cup, were unlucky to lose to England in the other Group game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They are delusional, same as all the other women footballers who think that they have a God given right to get equal prizemoney to their male counterparts.

When the female game generates as much revenue as the mens game perhaps we can have that discussion but until then its a deeply flawed argument.

Advertisement