Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s your most controversial opinion? **Read OP** **Mod Note in Post #3372**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sure. Why are you so hung up on your birthday? I assumed most adults didn't really care about having a birthday party.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Yep, it was the 3 travellers in Cashel approx 3 weeks ago - been at a wedding and drinking all day, no licence and no insurance. The driver I think is still in hospital. I'm sure there will be an official response when the coroners court is held but I suspect the driver will be charged, if he survives.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why are you so hung on changing a system that has worked for 2000 years?

The Gregoroan calendar is about 500 years old. Gained popularity more recently than that. The Julian calendar was older but we don't use that.

I'm proposing a system that's better - your birthday notwithstanding.

You haven't said why you're so hung up on your birthday so I've no idea why it's such a big deal for you. Is that as far as you can see into the ldea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I always celebrate on the day - even it's during the week. It's not the same otherwise.

Happily my 40th fell on a Saturday so I had a party on that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

Really? My Mrs has to remind me of my birthday and ask what i want to do. Always end up doing something at the weekend. On the day, I just send my mother a thanks message for giving birth to me. Maybe it's just me who doesn't care about birthdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People still celebrate birthdays beyond 21? Yeesh...

Yeah, of course. They can do whatever they want with their birthday. Celebrate it on the day or at the weekend when it suits them. I'm really surprised people are so touchy about birthdays. Nobody can take your birthday from you. That seems to be the big issue and it's safe

Except your proposal will literally be taking people's birthdays from them, especially those whose birthdays fall on 29, 30 or 31.

• Advertisement

Taking people's birthdays from them? Maybe they wouldn't have to age then if they have their birthday taken form them? Sounds like the new calendar could give them immortality.

Borthday snatching aside, what else do you think about it?

It's a solution looking for a problem to solve. Use a calendar, on your desk or on your phone.

The manyr that leads to innovation...

The improved calendar wouldn't need you to look it up. You'd just know because it's intuitive.

OK, well we just won't do it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Each to their own. I couldn't care less what other people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭PaoloGotti

People that arrange/agree to their 40th/50th (ie not a surprise party) are desperate attention seekers. Scarlett for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Hah. Organised my own 40th, loved it.

Cry into your misery pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭randd1

Not actually a bad idea, technically speaking. Makes plenty of sense.

Personally, I'd go with a 13 month Calendar, 12 months of 30 days and one national holiday period of 5 days (around Christmas and called Christmas) where everyone has the 5 days off, and which would incorporate the 6th day in leap years (Christmas would itself be on the 3rd day of this month.).

So if we were starting fresh, January to December would all have 30 days, and then you'd have Christmas National Holiday which would be the 1st, 2nd (Xmas eve), 3rd (Xmas Day), 4th (Stephens Day), and 5th would be New Years Eve. In a leap year the 6th would be New Years Eve.

Birthdays to be adjusted accordingly.

Obviously, it'll never happen and is pure fantasy, but an even calendar makes plenty of sense over the current one.

Yeah there are lots of ideas that make more sense than the current calendar. The one we use now it a pure botch job. Hacked up and sewn back together to suit the roman emperors or other gods who were in fashion at the time.

Anything with an even calendar would be much better and more intuitive. I think it would change how we think about time for the better (on a day to day level)

Compulsory military service if you're between the ages of over 21 and below 25 is not a bad idea if a certain circumstances were to be met.

• If you've not worked more than an accumulated 90 days from the age of 18.
    • If you've been in receipt of social welfare continuously since turning 18.
    • If you haven't attended school or college for more than 90 days since you turned 18.
    • Have not registered an attempt at employment or furthering education since turning 18.

There's plenty of way the said compulsory armed services could be put to use in this country, such as helping out with national infrastructure plans, manual labour, community service, as well as standard military service. The army has plenty of learnable skills, be it engineering be it mechanical or electrical or construction, computer skills, legal matters, etc, that they certainly won't get sitting at home on their arse.

In the circumstances almost all of them are on the dole anyway, so topping it up by €150 for their efforts would not cost the country too much, and the country could have a dedicated workforce towards national projects and a skills development programme to counter act increased cost.

With the caveat of course, that it amounts to a four day week, with the other allowed for pursuing employment or further education, and if you receive an offer of employment or a placement for further education you can leave and take up those offers immediately, and you must maintain those positions for at least 6 months otherwise you are redrafted.

It would be one way of dealing with the problem of youth unemployment, the lack of numbers in the military, and providing them with some sort of education, be it knowledge or technical, to young people.

Hold on. If you're going to make it compulsory (only for poor people by the sounds of it), and you're not going to pay them a proper wage, then it's pretty clear what's happening. Make them do it and pay them the going rate and I'm fine with it. Otherwise you'll have every business in the country trying to get cheap labour at the expense of people who do those jobs full-time.

Want street sweepers to keep the place hygienic? Fine. Budget for them, and pay them a living wage to do the job you want done. Street weeping is a necessary and noble job and it should pay the person a wage to do the job with dignity.

I'm fine with making people learn skills of all kinds and gain experience in national service, but not on a kind of slave wage. There's no dignity in that.

• Advertisement

It's not a slave wage, and it's not a full week's work either (4 days). It's €370 for what is essentially a a four day a week military service kind of CE scheme for young people who haven't worked or tried further education for a number of years.

Maybe you're right, say the €150 top up on the dole is when you're going through the first 6 months (training), and after that bump it up a bit after that if you're staying on. The point is they learn a skill or have a body of work behind them, the army gets the numbers, and the state gets some service out of it.

To be honest in hindsight, it need not be military service. Compulsory civil/public service should also be an option.

Either way, having them sitting on their arse for a couple of years on the dole which is a much worse option, in my view.

If you're going to make people work, then you have to pay them the going rate. The fact that they get experience and skills from it is a bonus which makes the investment even more worthwhile. You get the work you wanted done and you get a more xpeienced and skilled workforce. But you have to pay people for their labour. That's the quid pro quo.

It needs to be an investment in Meaningful work to develop their skills and the payoff for the state comes when the people get jobs and sustain themselves in the future. If you look at it as cheap labour then the state's investment ends when they get the cheap work. And that ain't right.

I've no big objection to national service in principle though. Sounds like it could be really useful to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If any member of the British Royal family (apart from Harry and Megan) murdered someone they wouldn't be brought to justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I’ve been saying the same for years - either apprenticeships through the county council or military service - that way they learn meaningful skills to develop their self esteem aand skill base. I run a business and most 18 year olds have no work experience - mummies dont let them work now when doing the leaving cert two years and hand out cash like smarties. By the time they are 18, they have no skills. The county council or army would help build resilience, a civic responsibility, a skill set they can use in future employment and meet new people who would encourage and nurture their need to work and set themselves up for the future. Sometimes doing a job or work experience is finding out more about what you don’t want to do than what you do - this scheme would help with that decision. Also, as they have no work experience, they would be paid a trainee wage, the dole plus some, as they are not the same as the experienced workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

James McClean is a dumbass.

I 100% support his decision not to wear the poppy and I don't blame him one bit for not wearing it however he clearly gets off on winding people up on twitter about his stance and he's somewhat demeaned what in more sensible hands would have been quite a dignified statement by being so childish on social media over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭GavPJ

You should meet the useless dumbass of a stepson I have at home. 23 years of age and still gets Mammy to bring him

for a haircut and makes here wait outside. Sits around playing computer games. Absolutely no social skills, would not know

how to start a lawnmower, in fact he wouldn't even know where the lawn mower is kept! There are millions of them out

there I'm afraid though. Ruined by their Mammies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Irish society of years ago used to be tied in with with a lot of the good of traveller culture and it is a pity it has been lost -

1) A strong family unit - with clear demarcation of roles within it

2) Loyalty/Honour

3) Guided by faith - so there was a strong sense of doing the 'right thing' there was structure because of that

4) Hard work - I am not talking about the minority who pretend to tarmac your drive nowadays and just draw the dole.

But since time has moved on the settled community has dominated which has made the travelling culture aimless and lost. As the need for education and society's movement away from manual work has added to this.

If the general Irish society returned to these 'Traveller basics' along with universal education Ireland would be much the better for it.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...trying to make them settlers, probably also hasnt helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,638 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah they are going around lost now, and the culture fits in nowhere with the general Irish population.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Don't suppose we've considered the drastic option of offering young people decent jobs with decent training and decent development opportunities at decent wages?

The Army and the County Council aren't social services. They're organisations with specific functions. Almost all Council works are outsourced to private companies at this stage, so I'm not sure what kind of jobs you think these people are going to be doing.

Advertisement