Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No New Contract For Vera Pauw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FCTwenteBenson

Taking the Houston scenario some of the allegations are outlandish schoolyard type stuff that probably never happened as alleged and you wouldn't see a professional football coach promoting in the first place. Some are a bit more puzzling such as Pauw's attitude to S&C but again that may be down to Pauw's coaching philosphy or style right or wrong (definitely wrong) but I digress. As for the Ireland Women's team, Pauw was seen as a bit of a coup for the FAI when she was appointed and that turned out to be correct as evidenced by our qualification for the WWC. She brought an increased level of professionalism to the set up and undoubtedly improved the team to achieve qualification. It seems that at both Houston and the Irish womens team that a group of players in both set ups were unable to attain or achieve the level of professionalism she demanded of her players and that resulted in what we saw in the piece from the Athletic and this poor interview from Caldwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

One thing I took out of the Athletic story was the Houston players complaining about "weight shaming". In every team sport players are weighed regularly and BMI is calculated etc. I've read several sports biography from multiple sports and a common theme is the pre season fitness test which includes a weight check. Why is this a big issue? If ur overweight lose it ur meant to be a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

?

Caldwell is complaining about lack of professionalism and lack of preparation on Pauws part.

"I think preparation for games could have been better, physical preparation, opponent analysis, match tactics, in-game match tactics, changes, systems of play," she said, adding that players had asked Pauw to "professionalise" various aspects of their preparations.

I was on the other side of this debate (not having all the facts); but Caldwells interview has ended this discussion in my view; she makes it crystal clear why Pauw wasnt kept on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Many athletes in the NBA/NFL have actual weight clauses in their contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well maybe women's soccer will just have to be looked at differently than men's.

We should stop comparing the actions of a women's coach with the actions of a men's coach.

All I'm getting from this drama is that more than once now Pauw has been made out to be a not a very good person to deal with by players she coached.

Should the players just suck it up like the men do, or is there something in the female temperament that makes just sucking it up much harder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 FCTwenteBenson

Fair point, but Katie McCabe's comments of "it not being a player decision" or however she worded it don't exactly back Caldwell's comments up. I maybe a bit cynical here and this is not necessairly true, but Caldwell was dropped by Pauw for a spell and this could be some bitterness on her part. Correct me if I'm wrong but there were no calls of a lack of effort "to proffesionalise" the Houston Dash set up and this is the only instance of such calls coming from the Irish womens team so far anyway.

As for Martin O'Neill, Ireland were dire under him for the last two years of his tenure probably longer, so the comments from Doherty were not exactly a bolt from the blue. The end was a long time coming for O'Neill at that point and the dogs on the street knew that. Pauw managed Ireland to their first women's world cup ever and yes they didnt perform to the levels they may have hoped they didn't disgrace themselves either and lets face it were up against much superior opposition in the group, so yes I think the discussion around Caldwell's comments is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

No. Caldwell just comes across as bitter and disgruntled, even her demeanour and facial expressions in that interview show bile. She’s just made one massive rod for their own backs by laying all blame at pauws door…. Let’s see what they do now… no pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Oh come off it 'her demeanour and facial expressions show bile' - thats a ridiculous thing to say. And no she hasnt made a massive rod for herself. She's 35 years old; she's played 97 times for Ireland - she is 100% entitled to set out her opinion and for people to take her opinion seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

This post perfectly illustrated how skewed some peoples perceptions are.

So when Vera says what's on her mind regarding players weight snd size she is simply being a straight talking person who let's people know where they stand. But when Caldwell pretty much does the exact same thing it's an example of bitchiness, being a diva, unprofessionally and a whole host of other negative words.

Vera simply got a dose of her own straight talking medicine. Unless Vera is a complete snowflake she, or anyone else, shouldn't have an issue with Caldwells straight talking ways.

"Unable to attain ot achieve the level of professionalism she demended of her players". She banned players from weight lifting ffs. 😂😂 Utterly bizarre for a manager at an elite level of sports to hold that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Fotish

I’m not sure what Caldwell hopes to achieve by sticking the knife in Vera Pauw at this stage,she’s gone now

and cannot defend herself.

Reminds me of the girl playing woman’s rugby talking about Slurry Spreading.

That went well for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭griffin100

Interesting to see the terms used to describe the women players across Boards.......petulant.......brats......bitches....ungrateful......ingrates...... Says a lot really.

The coach has a long standing history of being a hard person to work with. She has form for poor treatment of players from her time in the USA. The Irish players didn’t get on with her. They raised that with the FAI some years ago. Yet it’s the players that are being subject to character assassination by social media warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Difference is one is the manager who has a right to push their Players to be the best ,and the other a player rapidly approaching her use by date if not already past it , who simply thinks she's more important than the manager.

As in club football no one player is bigger than the team ,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's to help prevent ACL ruptures.

Which has been described as a pandemic in women's football.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TruthEnforcer

How the hell do you make that comment based on 'Caldwell's' claims

The Irish Women have put themselves in a Lose Lose situation .. especially for this upcoming game against Northern Ireland ...anything other than a convincing victory will be seen as a 'fXck Up' ..

It will be very interesting to see if the FIA support the team by continuing to have their games at the Aviva, if results fade away as well as supporters !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TruthEnforcer

FAI might also support them !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is not really like for like though one was criticising the training methods (Doherty) and the other says the players are responsible for their success (Caldwell).

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

And no one manager is bigger then the team either. Any half decent modern manager knows they need to have the support of their players to succeed, if Vera didn't realise that then she is extremely naive, at best.

That can't be serious? Since when does weightlifting cause ACL injuries? Does she have qualifications in sport science?

Weight lifting and ACL injuries is quite common lifting weight and Knees tend not to get along in certain situations

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

But Caldwell is a player NOT a manager. If Caldwell was giving interviews in her capacity as a manager of the Irish side, or an opposing side completely different.

Basically Caldwell has completely overstepped the mark of what a pro footballer should do in an interview. Not only diminishing the previous managers achievements but simultaneously claims them as the players own.

As many other posters have said have implied it is naive in the extreme, but it now heaps pressure on the players to REALLY do well. Basically Caldwell implied that they are better off without a manager and they can win games on their own.

I wonder how Ireland's interim manager (Eileen Gleeson) feels about Caldwell's comments? Or how favourite for the job (Lisa Fallon) thinks about the comments?

To me it looks like a clear out of the Ireland squad is needed. Some players who do not know their place.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Caldwell is dribbling out illogical shíte as she is holding a grudge over being dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭TokTik

You do know Ireland have finished second in their group before, and only got to this WC because it was extended to 32 teams from the previous 24??

Pauw wasn’t some footballing diety. Right place, right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭TokTik

Because it was extremely hard to qualify from Europe until FIFA increased the number of teams from 24 to 32.

Oh stop, seriously. There's a reason vera is likely the only coach advocating that professional athletes don't do weightlifting. It's an utterly bizarre position to have.

She hasn't overstepped the mark of what a pro player should do at an interview. She just hasn't followed the tendency for professional players who are highly media trained to say absolutely nothing of importance. She was refreshingly honest in her opinions on Vera. The idea that managers can say what they want and player have to shut up and stay silent is outdated and mangers who follow that approach will ultimately fail.

As for heaping pressure on the players, again, I don't why that is a bad thing. She specifically said "We just need to raise our standards in all levels of performance on and off the pitch. Expectations of ourselves and expectations of staff." Pressure is a privilege as they say. Caldwell should be applauded for that mindset and attitude.

Also, where exactly did Caldwell imply they were better off without a manager? I think she implied they are better off without a manager stuck in the 1980s, and she's right about that. Caldwell said "I think preparation for games could have been better, physical preparation, opponent analysis, match tactics, in-game match tactics, changes, systems of play.” these are all things managers should beinvolved in, so I don't she is arguing that a manager isn't required.

And where exactly is a players place? Staying silent and accepting terrible standards?

Pauw insisted on retaining control over nutrition, but Dr Brendan Egan will bring his expertise to the men’s and women’s senior squads

Imagine insisting retaining control on nutrition ahead of actual trained professionals the area. She sounds like a complete control freak.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

The media are driving it, they need stories, they don't care if they are true or not. Some people who are on the way out of the panel are looking to make a name for themselves. I bet there will be two or 3 books out for Christmas on the world cup and a few autobiographies. They need an angle to sell them because the normal story is pretty average. Vera's book is the one I'd buy and read. Anything else would be a waste of money.

@Augme Imagine insisting retaining control on nutrition ahead of actual trained professionals the area. She sounds like a complete control freak.

That's her job , to be in control of a team of professionals footballers,or in this case a bunch of babies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

If this Irish team are a bunch of babies they pale in comparison to the "babies" in the mens game. Take Jose Mourinho he has a record of only lasting 3 years in a job as his players end up going on de facto strike because they gey so fed up with him. Look at this second spell at Chelsea or at time at Man Utd. Remember these players were paid multiple times the salary of the women's players and had formal employment contracts. It didn't stop Mourinho losing his job. If you look through mens football who will find countless similar examples.

If you take GAA mens players have got rid of managers on a regular basis. It's a fact of life in most areas and not just sport the minute management lose the respect of their subordinates a managers day's are numbered/team performance will decline/employee turnover rockets.

What the women's team have done is very respectful. By and large thinks have been kept private and public comments have only been made after the manager has gone. Worse public comments have been made while a manager was still in place in other teams/sports.

The point about it being easier to qualify with the expansion of the world cup is very important. Its far easier to qualify for a bigger tournament. You see it in the mens game. Had the Euros and the World Cup been bigger in the past a lot more Irish teams would have qualified. Many of those teams would have been better than some of the teams that actually qualified.

Advertisement